Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding woes...

Thanks

Feeding woes...

So three out of my five new snakes are still not eating. It has been 3 weeks since there last meal (2-28). One female lost around 30 grams (940-910), another male has lost 30 grams (840-810), and the last female has lost 20 grams (620-600). They have all defecated since their arrival, and were on somewhat of a full stomach when i got them. When should i start stressing about this? They were all on live before, I am trying to feed f/t, but the previous owner said that they had all taken f/t before.

The male I am not too worried about because he is proven and he is around females. The two females need to eat, so I can put weight on them, so that they can give me hatchlings (fingers crossed) next year.
    1.1 Normal
    1.2 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Mojave
    1.1. Het Albino

Coming Soon: 0.1 Lesser

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldnt stress out about it, However you can ask the people you bought them from what the conditions of there cages were like compared to yours to make sure there isnt to big of a difference from one environment to another. Couldnt hurt to make them feel secure, but you cant force them to gain the weight needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameron Lamb Exotics For This Useful Post:

mbaker8686 (03-21-2012)

Thanks
    Some are shy eaters or homebodies some will eat in their enclosure other's wont (like my BP) finding out the feeding routine is also important. This is in my opinion across the board with many reptiles and other animals. For example my BCI is a distracted eater if she sees anything while she is constricting she will let it go and investigate, while my Bullsnake will only eat if she is hidden. Once they get accustomed to a routine they tend to stick to it.

I've even heard of some refusing a rat with a certain colour of fur.. some snakes are weird..

Good Luck!
    Thanks for reading!

1.0.0 2009 Bearded Dragon (Hypo orange), 1.1.0 2009/2010 Jeweled Lacertas, 1.0.0 2010 BP, 0.1.0 2011 GTP (Sorong x Jade Line), 0.1.0 2011 White Sided Bullsnake, 0.1.0 2011 Colombian BCI (Coral Albino), 0.0.1. 2011 ATB (red phase bi colour), 0.0.1 Honduran curly Haired Tarantula

and one very spoiled Yorkshire Terrier

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lady_bug87 For This Useful Post:

mbaker8686 (03-21-2012)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Losing that weight after a poop isn't anything to get worried over. Try live. If they don't take that then it might be something environmental or they're just not over the move yet.
    - Mason

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

mbaker8686 (03-21-2012)

Thanks
    Might wanna try f/t one or two more times before you go to live because they're big enough for it not to matter if they miss an extra meal or two, and make sure everything is nice and secure and they arent roaming during the day. The 30 g loss is probably just poop.

If the breeder you got them from was feeding f/t consistently, then chances are they will take it eventually. Use a scale to track their weight, but if they refused another two or three times I would probably try live just to get them going.
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks

Re: Feeding woes...

Quote Originally Posted by mattchibi View Post
    Might wanna try f/t one or two more times before you go to live because they're big enough for it not to matter if they miss an extra meal or two, and make sure everything is nice and secure and they arent roaming during the day. The 30 g loss is probably just poop.

If the breeder you got them from was feeding f/t consistently, then chances are they will take it eventually. Use a scale to track their weight, but if they refused another two or three times I would probably try live just to get them going.
    Yea they are not roaming, when i check on them they are all in their hides in their tubs. I have been told that a hiding ball is a happy ball, but at what point do they not need hides anymore in tubs? They are in 32 qt. sterilite. However I have noticed that when i do open their tubs, the ones that are not eating are prone to roaming. They just merely do not seem interested in the food offering. So they are in their hides until I open the tubs, I offer their food with them still in the hide until I get no response, then i remove the hide slowly and offer again, then they begin to roam.

I guess this could still be acclimation? I'm just really trying to focus on getting everything right, getting these snakes healthy and happy so I can start to enjoy them.
    1.1 Normal
    1.2 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Mojave
    1.1. Het Albino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker8686 View Post
    Yea they are not roaming, when i check on them they are all in their hides in their tubs. I have been told that a hiding ball is a happy ball, but at what point do they not need hides anymore in tubs? They are in 32 qt. sterilite. However I have noticed that when i do open their tubs, the ones that are not eating are prone to roaming. They just merely do not seem interested in the food offering. So they are in their hides until I open the tubs, I offer their food with them still in the hide until I get no response, then i remove the hide slowly and offer again, then they begin to roam.

I guess this could still be acclimation? I'm just really trying to focus on getting everything right, getting these snakes healthy and happy so I can start to enjoy them.
    Are you getting any defensive strikes or strikes at all when you offer the f/t rats? Are they lifting their heads or showing interest to the food? And have you tried laying the f/t rat down in the tub and turning off the lights and waiting 30 minutes?

For some of my ball pythons, the ones that love to really stay in their hides, I actually take out their hides and anything that will get in the way about 30 minutes prior to feeding. I also try to pre-scent the room by blowdrying my rats a little before offering.

My pastave behaved exactly as you are saying. When I offered f/t, he showed absolutely no interest. I took off the hide once and he would just start roaming and even came right out of his tub, but paid zero attention to the f/t rat I was dangling. I eventually caved (he was only 200 grams, so it was unhealthy for him not to eat) and fed him about 8 times live rats. Just a few days ago I offered a f/t rat pup for the first time just to see if he would take it and surprisingly he did. So you just have to figure out what works with them, they will all eat eventually so try not to worry too much!
    Matt

0.0 Ball Pythons (for now )
    http://iherp.com/mattchibi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattchibi View Post
    Are you getting any defensive strikes or strikes at all when you offer the f/t rats? Are they lifting their heads or showing interest to the food? And have you tried laying the f/t rat down in the tub and turning off the lights and waiting 30 minutes?

For some of my ball pythons, the ones that love to really stay in their hides, I actually take out their hides and anything that will get in the way about 30 minutes prior to feeding. I also try to pre-scent the room by blowdrying my rats a little before offering.

My pastave behaved exactly as you are saying. When I offered f/t, he showed absolutely no interest. I took off the hide once and he would just start roaming and even came right out of his tub, but paid zero attention to the f/t rat I was dangling. I eventually caved (he was only 200 grams, so it was unhealthy for him not to eat) and fed him about 8 times live rats. Just a few days ago I offered a f/t rat pup for the first time just to see if he would take it and surprisingly he did. So you just have to figure out what works with them, they will all eat eventually so try not to worry too much!
    The male shows interest, the two females just roam. The male has given me a defensive strike, but he was in shed and I did not know it (short blue period+being left alone due to acclimation). The male wants to eat, he raises up and looks ready, then it seems as if he just gives up. I always leave the thawed rat in the tub to give them a shot at eating on their own in the dark.
    1.1 Normal
    1.2 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Mojave
    1.1. Het Albino

Thanks
    im having the same issue with mine. he hasnt ate since 2-28. i still try every week but he doesnt take it. he looks at it but doesnt eat it. ive left it in there for long periods of time too. hes not a big BP though...just 125g. im trying not to worry but its hard. he sits in his hide all day. the temps are right. he hasnt shed yet but ive only had him a little over a month. Hes ate twice and defecated once. i cleaned his cage and am now using paper towel instead of aspen and turned the 24hr infrared light off. Would that have anything to do with it? i switched to paper towel because he had mites at a point of time. ive spiked the humidity up just incase hes about to start shedding also. btw...im feeding f/t never have given him live
    Last edited by MissKayla; 03-29-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    1.0 Normal BP

Thanks

I just this week got over a 3-4 month hunger strike from 2 of my ball pythons. the first was a juvenile that never ate once since I bought him. I had to assist feed for 3 months. the second was a on larger one that just stopped eating. I finally offered them both African Soft Fur rats and they both ate. so i am starting a colony. I like them way better than Norwegian rats...I freaking hate those nasty creatures and don't blame Ball Pythons for not wanting to eat them.

don't stress out though, their appetite will return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast