Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,219

2 members and 1,217 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shots for Pups

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't worry about the kennel cough shots unless I am kenneling the dogs, which rarely happens. I do DHLPP every year, which has parvo, and rabies every three.

People question the importance of DHLPP, but there are a couple things in it I consider important since my dogs are often out on the farm, on trails, and in wooded areas hiking with us. Drinking the gross water while we are out, meeting strange dogs, and wild animals is my concern with the dogs. If they stayed inside, or in town I would be more apt to opt out of of he DHLPP since I'm one of those people that question whether or not vaccines do more good than harm.

Thanks

Re: Shots for Pups

Like previously stated the first rabies vaccine is due around 16wks, most vets won't do it before that. For other vaccines it depends on your lifestyle with your dogs and where you're located. The main issue is if you do a lot of public activities with your dog. Parks, boarding, groomers, shows, hikes and things like that all require them. Some places require it to be given every 6mths. If their not that social after the first 1yr booster you can switch to a 3yr. Or go with the Titers and pretty much skip the vaccines all together after they have built up their immunity.

Before the Titer talk to your vet or find out if it's legally accepted in your area for rabies.
    Last edited by bubblz; 03-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12