Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: Which Lizard?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leopard Gecko

15 55.56%
  • Bearded Dragon

12 44.44%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Leopard Gecko vs. Bearded Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygeckos View Post
    I've only known two and they were both bumps on logs most of the day, but then their owners were bumps on logs too so maybe the personality just wore off.
    lol that is funny

I agree with you that leopard geckos have lots of personality. Fat Tails do as well. I love feeding time they all run to the front waiting on me to get down the line lol.

Thanks
    I can't believe I had never taken this into consideration, so here's another question. Now it looks like the Leo has a counterpart - Crested Gecko. So my question is, Leo vs. Crested?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saxguy101 View Post
    I can't believe I had never taken this into consideration, so here's another question. Now it looks like the Leo has a counterpart - Crested Gecko. So my question is, Leo vs. Crested?
    If you aren't used to handling reptiles, I'd say leos - cresties are much more flighty and faster when young and IMHO take longer to calm down. In my experience leos take to handling very quickly and are easier to guide from hand to hand.

Care-wise, I'd say it is a split. Leos need supplemental heat, but cresties make a MUCH bigger mess and need misting. Crestie food is much easier (CGD) but they do better if you also mix in some insects... I'd say a leo is a great first reptile (leo/beardie/corn) and a crestie makes a great second reptile.
    Mostly Leos and Cresties, but also
    1.0 Human (wild caught next door, but taming nicely)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygeckos View Post
    If you aren't used to handling reptiles, I'd say leos - cresties are much more flighty and faster when young and IMHO take longer to calm down. In my experience leos take to handling very quickly and are easier to guide from hand to hand.

Care-wise, I'd say it is a split. Leos need supplemental heat, but cresties make a MUCH bigger mess and need misting. Crestie food is much easier (CGD) but they do better if you also mix in some insects... I'd say a leo is a great first reptile (leo/beardie/corn) and a crestie makes a great second reptile.
    I'm used to handling Corn Snakes - I'm not sure if you mean used to handling geckos or reptiles in general, but I have handled reptiles if that's what you mean. I currently own an Okeetee Corn.

Thanks
    I breed my own feeders, and built my own enclosure for my bearded dragon... so it has been pretty cheap for me. I pay for a UVB bulb every 6 months ($40/yr) and greens ($2/week)... Then the cost of breeding feeders is a large can of whole oats every 2-3 months ($12/yr). Comes out to about $160 per year?

My BP will eat a rat per week, so figure he's takin down $156-170 per year? Not much difference.

I've never had a leo though, so I can't say... but I wouldn't want something so small that if I did happen to get it out and it got away from me my chances of finding it would be so slim.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saxguy101 View Post
    I'm used to handling Corn Snakes - I'm not sure if you mean used to handling geckos or reptiles in general, but I have handled reptiles if that's what you mean. I currently own an Okeetee Corn.
    Sorry, I meant to say "flighty" reptiles. There is a lot more corn snake to grab if they have a shiny object moment(s) than a couple of inches of speedy crestie that can stick to ANYTHING. Leos, while still quick, aren't mach>1 speed like some baby cresties I know.
    Mostly Leos and Cresties, but also
    1.0 Human (wild caught next door, but taming nicely)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123