Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: Which Lizard?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leopard Gecko

15 55.56%
  • Bearded Dragon

12 44.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Leopard Gecko vs. Bearded Dragon

This summer I'm looking into getting my first lizard. Which one should I get?

Thanks.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Leopard Gecko-No lights needed :0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameron Lamb Exotics For This Useful Post:

Saxguy101 (03-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Gosh this is so hard to answer. I have both. Lets just say probably the only thing that I don't like about bearded dragons is they are frickin' garbage disposals...I mean they eat A LOT. And they require UVB lighting. Leopard geckos are technically much easier to care for but don't have as much personality as beardies. But, I love them both! Not sure I could choose lol.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (03-13-2012),Saxguy101 (03-13-2012)

Thanks
    Depends on what you want to do with the lizard. Most leos are pretty shy. Bearded dragons are much more socialable and more likely to "chill". Obviously this doesnt apply to all beardies and leos but thats the general consensus when it comes to them.

I personally have leos and I love their personalities.

Forgot to mentions beardies are typcially more expensive to care for since they require larger enclosures, eat more and need UV light.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notmyfault; 03-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to notmyfault For This Useful Post:

Saxguy101 (03-13-2012)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    My leos are booooooooring.

They don't like being handled too much, despite lots of handling from a young age. They will tolerate a bit of handling, but I'm very nervous to let a kid hold them, because sometimes they spazz out and try to leap away. They don't like to eat in front of me, and they literally only come out at night.

I know they're out because as I'm going to sleep, I can hear them rustling around in the fake leaves.

But yes, they're far easier to care for than beardies. But I just kind of feel there isn't much reward/pleasure in having my leos, and I've considered rehoming them for this reason alone. My boyfriend has had a beardie before, that unfortunately died at 8 or so years of age. He said he was one of his best pets, he would take him out and lay on the couch and they would watch TV together. Awwwe!

I've taken care of beardies too (for a short time, we volunteered to find homes for our friends' beardies when he had to move across the country) and beardies are WAY more handle-able, they have way more personality, and are a lot more tolerant of kids.

But yes, they do cost a little bit more in the way of set-up, maintanence, and time spent caring for them. But I just think the reward of interaction is a lot higher with a beardie.

Keep in mind, this is all in my own experience, as I'm not a huge lizard person.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    As stated above, it's all about what you are willing to put into it. Besides both being considered "beginner lizards", you couldn't have picked two species that are more different.

Leopard geckos are considerably cheaper both in terms of the lizard and husbandry supplies as well as are much easier to take care of. They don't have much personality though, kind of like fish in an aquarium (which can be nice too). Another plus, many or most of them pick one spot for their bathroom and religiously use it thereafter instead of all over the habitat.

Bearded dragons are a lot more work. They eat a lot more often and a larger variety of food. The UVB bulb has to be replaced every six months ($$). They need a much larger enclosure. On the plus side, they're a lot more fun to take out and hold and seem to tolerate or even 'enjoy' being around people. I hand feed all of ours and it forms some good keeper -pet bonding.

In case you couldn't guess, I'm extremely biased towards bearded dragons ... but leopard geckos make great pets too. It all depends on what you are looking for with care, time, and animal energy level.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Leopard Gecko vs. Bearded Dragon

Our leos are cute as can be. They seem easier to care for (time & expense wise) than beardies. Our daughter wanted both. We opted for the leos. I love their little faces.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    leopard gecko. I have had my share of beardies and I just think they are kinda boring. I love the colors and the general appearance of the Leos and like mentioned above dont need quite as much as far as husbandry. However some leopard geckos can be kinda flighty which usually subsides with handling but sometimes doesnt. Beardies are very easy to handle even at a very young age.
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

Thanks
    Me personally i have both and that because if im out in the day time and feel like bringin one of my animals i can take the beardie cause hes up and late night if im watch tv and my beardies are sleeping i grab a gecko
    1. Super pastel
    1. Lesser
    1.2 pewter
    .2 normal
    .2. Cinni

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deto360 For This Useful Post:

Melle7 (09-07-2015)

Thanks
    Leos are much easier and way cheaper than beardies but beardies have personality
    1. Super pastel
    1. Lesser
    1.2 pewter
    .2 normal
    .2. Cinni

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast