Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

3 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy My Trinity passed on...not sure

I lost my snake this morning and am not happy at all...we only had her for a couple months and am not sure why she died. I will givve a run down of the last couple months and if anyone could give me some kind of idea of why she died I would appreciate it...I only wish I ahd found this site 2 months ago...
    We rescued her back in January and the people who ahd her sdaid she had just eaten a rat that week. She never ate for us. We let her alone for a couple weeks to let her get acclimated. then she starts to shed...I think she was a dehydrated as she didnt shed in one peice and looked dried so we soaked her and that seemd to help. We just did another soak and layed her on the bed and was rubbing he very softly to get the old skin off...she seemd happy enough from the bath. Then yesterday she was out of her hide in the day...basking a little in the sun. Last night when I went to be she was out in the tank with her latter 1/2 in the water...same thing this morning but only her tail. She was alive at 5:30 but I think she died not long after. I had to leave for work and told my husband there was something up and he said she was gone at 7:30. She had a heater in her hide and a hot rock. I think she was to cold...I don't know she had everything she has always had...I did what the last person did. I don't understand how why she died. Everything I read said not feeding was ok, no one mentioned humidity and we were keeping her misted...I don;t know can someone help me? I am really sad....thanks, Christa

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one can tell you why your animal died the ONLY way to tell would be to have a necropsy done if you kept her body refrigerated.

Sometimes they just died without any apparent reasons. It's sad but it happens.

Trying to guess here will not get you any closer ti an answer.

Not sure if in the future you are planning on acquiring another BP but if you do try to buy a animal from a reputable breeder, rescuing is a great gesture but if you have limited experience it often becomes a difficult situation.

Addionally make sure you do some research on husbandry which means no hot rock and close monitoring of your temperatures at all time among other things.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-10-2012),Slim (03-10-2012)

Thanks

Unhappy Re: My Trinity passed on...not sure

thank you Deborah for the reply. The rescue was one in that I knew the people who ahd her and they ahd had her for 7 years and had to give her away. I have read some on husbandry and have the BP Manual...the hot rock was not so hot...could she have died from being to cold? The only problem I am having is that everyhting was the same at our house that was at their house....Yes, we definatly are going to get another BP...we really like them. Can you suggest a reputable breeder in the WV/MD area?
    Thanks again...and I am sooo sad over hear death...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christa View Post
    thank you Deborah for the reply. The rescue was one in that I knew the people who ahd her and they ahd had her for 7 years and had to give her away. I have read some on husbandry and have the BP Manual...the hot rock was not so hot...could she have died from being to cold? The only problem I am having is that everyhting was the same at our house that was at their house....Yes, we definatly are going to get another BP...we really like them. Can you suggest a reputable breeder in the WV/MD area?
    Thanks again...and I am sooo sad over hear death...
    Sorry to here that you lost her...Please do some real research on this site about husbandry issues before you go running out to get another bp. Read the caresheet here first too, it is more accurate than beginner books sold in pet stores. Also describing your setup some more may help...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I am very sorry for your loss hon.

Unfortunately, there is no way for us to know if she had prior health issues which caught up with her, if it was something you did wrong, we just cannot say.

I do commend you on your decision to get another. But there are a number of things you need to do before you can safely get another snake. If you plan on using anything that belonged to her, it must be sterilized. Boil it, bleach it, bake it or throw it away. You have no idea but that she was carrying a contagious disease and you could end up back here with another dead snake.

Spend some time here reading up on the caresheets. We have the most current and accurate information available here. Books can be outdated by years and the information contained in them no longer correct. We update our information almost daily it seems like sometimes!

Once you have a suitable environment for your new snake all set up and functioning, then you can go snake shopping. Being patient is not my strong suit, but I'm speaking from experience this is the way to go. Not snake first and cage later, trust me on that.

You will find a number of people who breed here, as well as people who can put you in touch with breeders they know and use, so once you are ready, it won't be too hard to find another snake to love.

I wish you all the best.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 03-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

francisco_24 (03-10-2012),vettech1990 (01-06-2013)

Thanks

Unhappy Re: My Trinity passed on...not sure

thanks folks...I have read the care sheet on this site...like I said I wish I had found this site before...and I did look...I def will clean everyhting very well and get more aquainted with what I am needing to do...so I should not rescue them? I always feel that to take an animal no one wants is better than bringing another into the world....

Thanks

Re: My Trinity passed on...not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Sorry to here that you lost her...Please do some real research on this site about husbandry issues before you go running out to get another bp. Read the caresheet here first too, it is more accurate than beginner books sold in pet stores. Also describing your setup some more may help...
    thanks Mike, she was in a 4 foot aquarium with UV light, heater on the bottom in her hidey hole (cardboard box with hole and bottom cut out so she was on the substrate) wood shvings recommended by the pet store (I cant remember what kind but NOT cedar or pine) the hot rock that the top was the only thing above the shavings and not very hot at all...a large bowl of water. The only thing different from how she was housed before is the shavings and hide hole...she was on newspaper and no hide...sigh...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I'm so sorry, sadly, like others have said it's impossible for us to tell why she died. Everyone has given you some really good advice. The only thing I'll add is to throw away the heat rock immediately and never buy another one again, and next time get some accurate instruments to measure heat and humidity. I'm sorry for your loss
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: My Trinity passed on...not sure

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    I'm so sorry, sadly, like others have said it's impossible for us to tell why she died. Everyone has given you some really good advice. The only thing I'll add is to throw away the heat rock immediately and never buy another one again, and next time get some accurate instruments to measure heat and humidity. I'm sorry for your loss
    thanks, and the rock is gone already...and I do have a good therm/hygro ....unfortunaltely to late...and thanks to everyone for their help...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Please don't let this keep you from getting another one eventually. My first tarantula died due to a stupid mistake on my part, and I was so devastated. People on here urged me to get another eventually and I'm really glad I did. You learn things as you go along. Take your time and grieve, but I think you'd be an awesome addition to our community.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast