Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

3 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boa Bites

Thanks

Boa Bites

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between a Ball Python and a Boa Constrictor (BCI), and obviously boas are gonna get a fair bit bigger. My question is, how much does an adult Boa bite (6-7 ft.) hurt compared to a Ball Python bite? I know Ball bites are practically painless, but that's one of the things I've been considering. I know that neither snake is very likely to bite, but I'm just wondering what it would feel like on the rare occasion that they do bite.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I wouldn't let possible bites scare you away from boas. No bite is pleasant, but most are also preventable. Since you'd be buying yours as a baby you'll have plenty of time to learn their personality and signs.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    If you are worried about bites then get the BP. The boa is bigger with a bigger bite. When I had an adult boa, I was always aware of this and never got bit. I am sure it is no fun though.

Thanks
    Boas don't really bite much, especially when they're adults. I've had my 5 foot boa for almost a year and she got me once during feeding time, it didn't hurt at all as it was just a mistake. If they actually bit and held on, it would be painful, but that is a rare occurrence because most bites are feeding responses.

In my opinion, if you think you're going to be scared of handling or feeding your snake, you should probably reconsider whether you're ready to get one!

Overall, bites aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I was kind of scared about it at first, but once I got my first bite (from a BP) I realized it wasn't at all as scary as it sounds.

If you're getting a baby, you don't have to worry about bites from big snakes. As you raise it up, hopefully you'll learn its body language and temperament and won't have any aggression issues. Good luck!

Thanks

Boas

Boas bite harder. As I would imagine Burmese / anacondas bite harder then boas. Size helps. I have owned over 25 boas and only been bitten by 2. a wild caught female and one that was just angry. Had many attempt though,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: Boa Bites

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    I wouldn't let possible bites scare you away from boas. No bite is pleasant, but most are also preventable. Since you'd be buying yours as a baby you'll have plenty of time to learn their personality and signs.
    x2! And many boas, unless it's a feeding error, will huff and puff before striking so you learn their moods pretty easily.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

I've got a baby boa that likes to bite.
    Very intimidating!

Thanks
    I'm not all that worried about the bites. I just wanted to be aware of them. The only issue now will be convincing my parents to let me get one. They oppose the idea of a Boa. Any tips to get them to allow it? I'm paying for it with my own money and I take good care of my animals, but my dad is fairly afraid of snakes and thinks Boas are too big.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    This is how i put it for ppl like your parents lol.
    Ok so do you have a dog? Or you have at least petted one right? I mean like a real dog like a german shepherd, rottie, golden retriever, lab, doberman, even a collie... Look at the size of an adult boas mouth compared to one of theirs. Look at the difference it the size of the teeth and the jowels to clamp down. If they have ever let you pet a dog like that in your life then they put you in the same amount, if not more danger than you would be in holding a boa. Snakes only have 2 types of bites: defensive and feeding response. If you get a baby boa youll be able to learn its body and its temperment so you know when to or not to mess with it. And as long as you feed responsibly and keep your hands outta the way during feeding time your chance of getting bit will be minimal. Hope this helps
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (03-08-2012)

Thanks

I'll just say that I find the dog bite analogy a little ridiculous. I really hate animal to animal comparisons because whether a dog or a snake, a well cared for, properly handled animal is far less likely to bite.

Anyway, Saxguy, show your parents that you're responsible enough to handle a boa. Pick up on your chores around the house, offer to do things instead of waiting to be asked, try striking a deal or two with them, take an active interest in snakes inside of your home as well as outside-try to meet anyone local who keeps boas, see if you can get some hands on experience.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Saxguy101 (03-08-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast