Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

3 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,544
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Worried about my BP

My BP is my first snake and she has me slightly worried right now. Ive had her a week and a half and I just noticed her eyes have turned white. I havent touched her in 2 days since I fed her so cant give an exact day this happened.
    My first thought was she is beginning to shed, but she is not being aggressive and is not showing any other physical signs. In fact she seems more friendly than the last time I handled her. The few times I was able to touch her she either balled up or hugged my hand and stared at me. This time she stayed relaxed and instead of being docile kept moving around in my hands. Again she didnt look like she was trying to get away or setting herself up to strike (although not certain what that would look like because the only time she tried was when I fed her, and that time she stood up for lack of a better description).
    Have had slight difficulty maintaining proper environment for her with 2 lamps and a UTH. Daytime temps for her is 90 hot side, 80 cool side and nighttime 80 hot side 75 cool side (switch to a blue bulb at night). I havent bought one of the reptile foggers yet but I have been using a spray bottle twice a day to regulate humidity and I can keep it between 40 and 50 rH. I work in HVAC so I actually have a surface temp lazer to keep an eye on the UTH and that ground section of her thank is usually about 85. I keep her hide in the middle so she isnt making much of a sacrifice for temperature but usually she prefers sitting in the tree I bought. In a week getting a bigger tank and planning on using two hides.
    Basically I dont know if I did something wrong and now she is sick, or if this is something natural. After I fed her she went into her hide and i have noticed her changing positions but she hasnt come out. In fact this is the most active Ive seen her since I bought her. Seems like she is pacing the tank watching me. So looking for some advice on whether I should take her to the vet, or if Im just worrying unnecessarily. Please help. Thanks.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    They dont all necessarily become aggresive when they shed, Most just like to be left alone. Is it like a milky blue almost? If you could take a picture of her eyes it would help a lot. But mostly sounds like shes shedding. Most balls love to be in cramped areas so her being in her hide is fine and nothing to worry about. I have a mojave that after he eats every time he will go directly into his hide and sit for a couple hours then come out and sleep somewhere else lol like clockwork every time
    Last edited by Cameron Lamb Exotics; 03-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameron Lamb Exotics For This Useful Post:

Cvillegentry (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Worried about my BP

She's going into shed, so now worries there. I would add a humid hide for the next week or so (or permanently), since your humidity is a little on the low side for a shed cycle (fine for regular ambient, though). You need to find a better bulb or heating system for at night (75W red IR bulb, not just a colored light bulb), because a 10 degree drop is really extreme. Oh, and take the tree out so you can put two hides in there. She needs to be able to choose a temp, not be forced to sit in the middle to feel secure. She could also be more active if whe's hungry - what are you feeding her and how often?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Cvillegentry (03-08-2012)

Thanks

Picks would be a great help but I am thinking its most likely she is going into shed

GUESS I type to slow
    Last edited by RestlessRobie; 03-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Thanks. I tried to get her out for a pic but when i reached in she went into what I have been assuming is the "S" shape. Not trying to get bit already. When I took my hands out she went back into her hide. Will try again later if she decides to go back to being friendly. Ill just assume she is shedding since she isnt showing any other signs of something being wrong.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Honestly I have had several people call me worried bout there snakes eyes turn gray or blue and they get worried when it always ends up being shed time. So Im sure you have nothing to worry about

Thanks
    Im feeding her pinkies right now (what the store told me), and I feed her every 4 days. I was told if she takes her time on one leave it at the but if she is quick to eat it give her a second. Then wait another 4 days.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    First off, welcome to BP.net!

OK, You seem to have lots of moving parts going on here.

First, the white eyes. Kinda' sounds like she might be going into shed, but a picture would help us determine that. Not all of them get crabby when they go into shed. Every snake has it's own personality.

Couple things about your set up. You mention a daytime temp and a night time temp. There's no need for all that. You should shoot for a constant warm side temp of around 90 degrees and a constant cool side temp of around 80 degrees. If you can provide this type of constant temp gradient, she will thermo regulate as needed, day or night.

It also sounds like you only have one hide in the tank. For optimal results you need two identical hides, one on the warm side and one the cool side. Right now you are making her choose between thermo comfort and security...kinda' sounds like she might not have either with all that roaming around.

If your UTH isn't on a thermostat, you need to shut it down until you can get it on one. Those UTHs can get hot enough to burn your snake badly. Kudos for using a laser temp gun, but remember you are measuring spot temps on top of the substrate. Your snake can borrow under the substrate and make contact with the glass directly over the UTH where it can reach 130 degrees if not regulated with a thermostat.

There are several things you can do to get your humidity up. Do a search on "humid hide", and see how to make one that will come in handy during shed time. Also you can cover 3/4 of the top of the tank with plastic wrap or tinfoil. That will help keep some of the humidity in.

Lastly, consider going to a tub set up for your BP. They are inexpensive and make keeping heat and humidity a breeze.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-08-2012),Cvillegentry (03-08-2012),D2b (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    And the blue bulb is one of the 75 watt ones they sell for reptiles. Saw that and the red, just figured Id sleep easier with the blue. Was told red vs blue was only preference.
    This is the reason I joined the forums instead of getting all my info from books and pet stores.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cvillegentry View Post
    Im feeding her pinkies right now (what the store told me), and I feed her every 4 days. I was told if she takes her time on one leave it at the but if she is quick to eat it give her a second. Then wait another 4 days.
    Rat pinkies or mouse pinkies? Either way - too small. Pet stores notoriously underfeed. Feed her prey slightly larger than her widest point, or 15% of her body weight while she is young. I highly recommend getting a kitchen scale so you can monitor her weight, check her prey weight size, etc.

As per the bulb, I know Aaron (The Serpent Merchant) has posted pics of a good one on here before. Try PM-ing him about it. The ones from pet stores seem to usually just be painted light bulbs. In the meantime, use the red one all the time. It should emit a frequency that won't bother your BP at night, if it's the right type of bulb.

Edit: Just saw that it's your sleeping that you're worried about. In that case, a ceramic heat emitter is an option, doesn't emit any light at all, and could be used 24/7 rather than switching between bulbs.
    Last edited by Annarose15; 03-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast