Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: 50% Success

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

50% Success

So i attempted to get my 2 bps to eat f/t today sinced i bought a freezer for rats. My lil male cinny took it but my normal female didnt. Kinda ironic bc i was almost positive it was gunna be the other way around. Oh well i cant complain at least one did. Any suggestions for converting my normal? I fed her a small live rat then tried the frozen thawed thinking she would go for it but she didnt... The live one was about half the size of what i normally feed her.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    I thaw under a heat lamp in the snake room. The rat smell circulates among the snakes (I can't smell it) and I start seeing heads poking out of hides after about an hour. After two hours, every hide has a little head sticking out . Generally, everyone eats as soon as I put the rat in front of them... instant strikes. I'll hit the rats for any problem feeders with a blow dryer but it's usually not an issue.

If the snake doesn't take, I'll remove the rat, wait a few minutes, hit again with the blow dryer, and re-offer. If it still won't eat, I'll leave the rat overnight and it's always gone. I have 3 live feeders who wouldn't convert to f/t until I dropped the rat and shut the tub and left them alone. They are perfect eaters now but it seems like they just wanted some time in the dark to check the f/t out before accepting it as a food source for the first time.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons; 03-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Yea i thawed them in warm water. (Still in the bag so they didnt get wet). Then hit it with the blowdryer til the head was 102F. I think the problem is like i said i fed the live first thinking it would stimulate his appetite but it ended up making him full i think bc it was too big. Now that i think about it the rat was more like 75% of the size of her normal rats... I shoulda weighed it, lol now i think of that! Im gunna wait 2 weeks to feed her so shes extra hungry then if she doesnt pound it right away im gunna leave it in the tub overnite like you said.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo