Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ball python with a Very Pink belly

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Eating has nothing to do with shedding, they have to shed regardless.
    im using a under tank heat pad I bought couple years ago. the hot spot temp is around 80-83.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    It looks pinker than what I'm used to.
    But like Aaron said, food has nothing to do w/ shedding. They shed every few weeks anyway.

What is your hotspot set to? Just because it doesn't feel hot to you, doesn't mean its not too hot for the snake. Are you using a thermostat to regulate the hot spot?

Edit: Aaron beats me again! XP
    Im not using a thermostat but thinking about buying one right now. I use heat pad right now. is it a bad idea to give bath before a shed??

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    UTH's absolutely must have a thermostat to control them. Otherwise they can easily get up to 130 degrees (enough to kill your snake) How are you measuring temperatures? UTH's do not affect the air temperature in the cage so unless you have a probed thermometer you have no way of telling how hot it actually is getting.

Bathing or soaking your snake is never a good idea as it will stress out the animal and remove essential oils necessary for the shedding process.

Also do not buy a thermostat from a pet store as the thermostats sold there are overpriced and do not work very well.

Here are some good ones.

The Hydrofarm, it costs $30 and can be purchased on Amazon, but doesn't regulate temperatures as good as it should. it will do what you need it to do but should be replaced with a better thermostat as soon as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR..._bxgy_ol_img_b

The Herpstat is the best you can get, but has a higher price tag. Herpstats start at $99 but there are more expensive/better models available. they regulate temperatures significantly better than the hydrofarm can.

http://spyderrobotics.com/
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-06-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

abrunsen (03-06-2012),coffeeortea (03-06-2012)

Thanks

UTH's absolutely must have a thermostat to control them. Otherwise they can easily get up to 130 degrees (enough to kill your snake) How are you measuring temperatures? UTH's do not affect the air temperature in the cage so unless you have a probed thermometer you have no way of telling how hot it actually is getting.

Bathing or soaking your snake is never a good idea as it will stress out the animal and remove essential oils necessary for the shedding process.

Also do not buy a thermostat from a pet store as the thermostats sold there are overpriced and do not work very well.

Here are some good ones.

The Hydrofarm, it costs $30 and can be purchased on Amazon, but doesn't regulate temperatures as good as it should. it will do what you need it to do but should be replaced with a better thermostat as soon as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR..._bxgy_ol_img_b

The Herpstat is the best you can get, but has a higher price tag. Herpstats start at $99 but there are more expensive/better models available. they regulate temperatures significantly better than the hydrofarm can.

http://spyderrobotics.com/
    I have a thermometer inside of the tank. I will definitely look into those two thermostats. I will keep you updated on this thanks again for your help!

Thanks
    what type of thermometer is it though? if it is a dial type you need to replace it.

These work great and are super cheap. They can be purchased at Walmart for $12 and measure 2 temperatures (hot side and cool side) as well as humidity.

~Aaron

Thanks

what type of thermometer is it though? if it is a dial type you need to replace it.

These work great and are super cheap. They can be purchased at Walmart for $12 and measure 2 temperatures (hot side and cool side) as well as humidity.

this is similar to what I'm using right now
    I will go to Walmart to buy one tomorrow after work. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The dial thermometers from pet stores are not accurate. Plus it only measures the air. You want one like the Acurite kind to measure the actual hot spot(on the bottom of the enclosure)

You'll benefit a lot from the new thermometer you're getting tomorrow.

Thanks
    if you're not using a thermostat I'm guessing your snake could possibly have a burn... Like Merchant said if UTH's are left un-regulated they can get up to 130 degrees... Dials are crap and it was probably measuring your ambient temperature if it was doing anything. You really need to get a thermostat and digital gauge as soon as possible. I would recommend the hydrofarm for 30 dollars. Its cheap and does its job. Good luck.

-Alex
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abrunsen View Post
    if you're not using a thermostat I'm guessing your snake could possibly have a burn... Like Merchant said if UTH's are left un-regulated they can get up to 130 degrees... Dials are crap and it was probably measuring your ambient temperature if it was doing anything. You really need to get a thermostat and digital gauge as soon as possible. I would recommend the hydrofarm for 30 dollars. Its cheap and does its job. Good luck.

-Alex
    If it is a burn, it isn't a bad one (yet) getting a new thermometer and thermostat will solve this issue.

regardless bump up the humidity as it will help either way. only time will tell which it is.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest reading this: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-06-2012 at 02:14 AM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

If it is a burn, it isn't a bad one (yet) getting a new thermometer and thermostat will solve this issue.

regardless bump up the humidity as it will help either way. only time will tell which it is.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest reading this: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet
    I agree, it didn't look too bad but it did look a lot more pink than typical pre-shed pink. Either way, now the OP knows better.

-Alex
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast