Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

2 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Harmless

I don't disagree with what you say, they can carry leprosy. I'm not sure how destructive they are.

Seriously, when is the last time you heard of anyone dying because of an armadillo, or needed immediate hospital attention after an encounter? When is the last time you've read about an armadillo attack? And who in America gets leprosy anyway?

CNN reports only about 150 ppl in the US get it, and that's only after international travel.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/27...osy/index.html

Thanks

Re: Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack0000 View Post
    I don't disagree with what you say, they can carry leprosy. I'm not sure how destructive they are.

Seriously, when is the last time you heard of anyone dying because of an armadillo, or needed immediate hospital attention after an encounter? When is the last time you've read about an armadillo attack? And who in America gets leprosy anyway?

CNN reports only about 150 ppl in the US get it, and that's only after international travel.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/27...osy/index.html
    How many people in the US do you hear about getting rabies? Just because it rarely happens doesn't dismiss it as a valid concern.

Thanks

Re: People Killing snakes

I vote for a dumb people roundup.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Lmao some you just dont get it. The reason you have to kill the deer with cwd is because it is so contagious and if you dont be proactive to cut off the spreading chance it can wipe out thousands of hoofed animals fast. Do some cwd homework youll see what im talking about. And for you guys that keep saying its not over population its human expansion, your just splitting hairs. Do you think your gonna stop human expansion? Or infringing on habitats?. Remember your stances next time you go camping? Or hiking or for that matter stay in your house all together that at one time was land that belonged to critters. Your hypocrits to your own points if you are human. Look if the rattler is being eaten and used then theres no problem with it. We arent talking about people going into pet stores and whackin ball pythons. We are talking about an abundant supply of a resource. Get over it. Its time for lunch so im gonna go enjoy a burger made from meat from a cow that was kept in horrible conditions and shot in the head with a bolt gun. Or maybe some bbq from a pig that was bled out alive and hung or i might have some chicken that was raised in over crowded holding areas while they walk over the dead chickens that couldnt stand up anymore. That free roaming rattlesnake doesnt sound too bad now does it?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snake lab View Post
    Lmao some you just dont get it. The reason you have to kill the deer with cwd is because it is so contagious and if you dont be proactive to cut off the spreading chance it can wipe out thousands of hoofed animals fast. Do some cwd homework youll see what im talking about. And for you guys that keep saying its not over population its human expansion, your just splitting hairs. Do you think your gonna stop human expansion? Or infringing on habitats?. Remember your stances next time you go camping? Or hiking or for that matter stay in your house all together that at one time was land that belonged to critters. Your hypocrits to your own points if you are human. Look if the rattler is being eaten and used then theres no problem with it. We arent talking about people going into pet stores and whackin ball pythons. We are talking about an abundant supply of a resource. Get over it. Its time for lunch so im gonna go enjoy a burger made from meat from a cow that was kept in horrible conditions and shot in the head with a bolt gun. Or maybe some bbq from a pig that was bled out alive and hung or i might have some chicken that was raised in over crowded holding areas while they walk over the dead chickens that couldnt stand up anymore. That free roaming rattlesnake doesnt sound too bad now does it?

So because Im human Im a hypocrite for thinking the mass killing of rattlesnakes is wrong? I dont understand your logic. Because there is an abundance of them makes it right? There is a huge demand for cow meat, cows bred specifically to be eaten. If they want to go kill thousands of rattlesnakes they should breed them to do that then. Not take animals from the wild bring them into captivity to be tortured and killed. Im not justifying the way we kill the animals we eat at all just dont see a comparison.
    As far as camping goes I know Im not being destructive in anyway including killing what already lives there. So my stance is If I see a rattlesnake Ill let it be. Unfortunately there are hicks on tv doing it for show.
    Last edited by Cameron Lamb Exotics; 03-12-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilecam View Post
    If they want to go kill thousands of rattlesnakes they should breed them to do that then. Not take animals from the wild bring them into captivity to be tortured and killed.
    So are you saying you'd be ok with the rattlesnake round ups if the snakes were bred for that specific reason?

If you meant that they should be specifically bred and raised for meat, I think that's an avenue you would have to pursue yourself...I just don't see it as an economically gainful industry after you take space, labor, feeding, and precaution/insurance into account.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    So are you saying you'd be ok with the rattlesnake round ups if the snakes were bred for that specific reason?

If you meant that they should be specifically bred and raised for meat, I think that's an avenue you would have to pursue yourself...I just don't see it as an economically gainful industry after you take space, labor, feeding, and precaution/insurance into account.
    I dont like the killing of snakes either way. Would I support it no, but it would be better then taking wild populations and doing it. In no way would I ever eat rattlesnake or support the killing of them. Im simply comparing to his point of view that its another animal to eat because he supports it and compares it to cows. You misread what I was saying.

Thanks

Yes, the root of the conversation was about the TV show Rattlesnake Republic.

Just for the record I don't see myself as a tree hugging PETA vegan. I don't think killing an animal is inherently wrong. The line being drawn here is between needless killing and acceptable limits.

The other line as you define it falls between overpopulation and human expansion. I'm arguing that the term "overpopulation" is a misnomer. It frames the issue in a manner that suggests the animal population is out of balance and humans (or some other force) should be put into place to regain the species balance.

Human expansion, my preferred term, frames it as though the abundance of a species is a symptom of a human generated problem. When we cull the herd, we address the symptom, not the source.

Do I think I am going to stop human expansion? Well, not me individually. I'm no superhero. There is a mountain of political and social underpinnings to human expansion. But I do not accept that human expansion is an inevitability.

I am a hypocrite in some ways. We all are. My use of a well worn trail tacitly approves some level of soil compaction (natural habitat destruction) is okay. The apartment I live in destroyed natural habitat. Can I safely divorce myself of culpability because I did not build the structure myself? You begin to enter a gray area. At some level, every time we create human habitat we take it from a different species.

But again, for me, the point is how you frame the issue. You call it splitting hairs, but for me it is a huge different, especially in the light of the mountain of political and social underpinnings involved in any of these operations. The devil is in the details.

The other point is that you must be an idiot if you plan to live anywhere near 'wilderness' and not have some human-animal interactions.

Thanks
    How in the hell do you raise an animal for food. Animals are animals just because one is penned its entire life and one isnt means nothing. And you obviouslly are getting your views in the way of your knowledge cause there is a huge market for rattlesnake meat and not to mention alot goes to homeless shelters and churches.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

I don't think I should comment on the TV show as I haven't seen it.

How does it compare to any other hunting or fishing show?

Is it about rattlesnake roundups specifically or just guys that hunt rattlesnake?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast