Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

3 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Never Use Tape, is he going to be ok?

First thing I know it is an awful idea to use tape in an enclosure. Unfortunately I underestimated a BPs ability to go into tight spots. I had a piece of duct tape holding the probe wire to the wall of my tub. I felt it was secure to the wall and there was no way he could get it out. He was hiding when I took a shower, but when I came out I saw that he had somehow gotten himself caught. Fearing that he might have killed himself, I cut the tape (not close enough to him to hurt him) from the wall so he could free himself. He quickly coiled back. He lost some scales near his right eye and on his neck. He acts like he can still see (he acknowledged the camera) but he is obviously scared to death. I was going to change his water but decided not to disturb him. He must have been exploring (he does this at night) and tomorrow is his usual feeding day. I just hope I didnt hurt him. I dont really have any money for a vet visit right now (just paid a major student loan bill) I would rather give him to one of you then let it go if he wont be ok. Is he going to be ok and what if anything should I do?

I removed all tape from the hide and just laid the digital thermometer inside the tub with the probe over the heating pad.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    He will probably be ok, just make sure that it stays clean and you provide him with perfect temperatures and humidity.

If it looks like it is getting infected you can use Betadine diluted in water. Don't use peroxide or neosporin as they will do more damage than good.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I hope so I cant believe that happened. I will never underestimate his abilities again. He is pretty stressed out and active now should I just leave him alone? Thanks for your help!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    If he isn't bleeding or acting strange I would give him a day or so alone then give him a good inspection.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I don't know about BP's specifically but generally when a snake looses a few scales (he has one over his eyes too) they will enter a shed cycle soon after and may go through several in a row until the damage is repaired. Most just disinfect the enclosure (unflavored listerine is cheap and was originally used to disinfect hospital surgical rooms) and use a simple newspaper bedding, hides, and water. No decorations. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I forgot to mention this is after you inspect him and see there is no damage to the actual eyeball.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Tape the probe to the heat pad on the outside of the enclosure and tinker with the thermostat setting until the inside of the cage reaches the right temp. For mine, the temp ON the pad needs to be 100f for the inside of the tub to reach 90f. If he pushes or pulls the probe off the hot spot it could cause burning hot temps to come from the heat pad.

That sucks. I had tape in my enclosure until reading some wicked horror stories like this on these forums. Luckily I was able to get the tape out before anyone got hurt.

Good luck.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Tape the probe to the heat pad on the outside of the enclosure and tinker with the thermostat setting until the inside of the cage reaches the right temp. For mine, the temp ON the pad needs to be 100f for the inside of the tub to reach 90f. If he pushes or pulls the probe off the hot spot it could cause burning hot temps to come from the heat pad.

That sucks. I had tape in my enclosure until reading some wicked horror stories like this on these forums. Luckily I was able to get the tape out before anyone got hurt.

Good luck.
    Agreed. If its just hanging out on the inside loose then he could move it or he could dump his water dish on it and send the temps sky high.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo