Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

3 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
    If you don't know a lot about them, why do you have anything to say? I have been doing my research and I have never read that posted by any Black Throat Monitor owner.
    Thats really rude. You ask for opinions and when someone throws their 2 cents in you tell them to shutup basically?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Actually, I think it needs to be said more often. People very new to keeping reptiles have questions that need answering by knowledgeable people. All the forums have too much, "I heard that.... or A guy told me...." quasi information. There is a wealth of good information out there. I was simply trying to glean some or at least be pointed in a direction to find it. What I got was bad information from one poster who did not know, quite obviously, what he was talking about and I might add was incorrect.
    I know that no one can stop a post with either good or bad information but don't you think that someone should point out bad information and coach the person sending it to have first hand experience before pontificating about a species or that species behavior.
    My original post indicated that I had studied all the information I could find easily and that I had specific questions which didn't include how hard Black Throats bite but covered very specific points that I found no reliable information about.

I am sorry if you think it sounded rude. I posted it in a moment of frustration.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    In the wild, blackthroats are supposed to crack giant land snail shells in their jaws. That takes a lot of pressure, so yes, they have very powerful jaws. I'd say probably as strong or stronger than a COMPARABLY SIZED alligator. I wouldn't say they are as powerful as a full grown 14 ft gator... but size-to-size, I'd bet they're close.

Croc monitors have removed fingers(I've seen the pictures), and blackthroats are built similar to more heavy in the jaw. I wish I could find the link to the guy who lost a finger, but since my laptop crashed, I lost all the cool links I'd accumulated.

Blackthroats WILL lock onto something and not let go. I've seen this with my own, heard stories of it from three other people. Moggie latched onto a leash and held it for nearly half an hour before turning it loose. Heard the same time line for someone's shoe. They are stubborn.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    so it looks like kevin wasnt totally wrong and contributing false information...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I said I didn't know much, but I DID know that....so thanks for clearing that up. Its not my lose of digits or blood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    We have a local petstore called the serpentarium. They have 4-5 full grown black throats at their lodi, CA facility. They are as tame as can be and are housed properly with proper temps. My 5 yr old daughter walked up to one and pet him on his head (under supervision of course). They are one of the more tame species of monitor as long as handled and what not. GL to you in finding one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks

Re: Black Throat Monitor questions

I found one via a Tegu forum that I contribute to. I am trading one of my three Tegu's for the Black Throat which is a 2.5-3' probable female. According to the owner, she is fairly tame. She seems to enjoy being stroked but tail whips when picked up, which is pretty normal for a juvenile lizard, monitor, or tegu. She has never bitten however.
    My adult male Tegu, Gordo bit me lightly once. He wasn't being agressive at the time but more curious. It broke the skin a little but that was it. He has never given me a threat display or anything since that one time. My 9 month old female did the same.
    Last edited by Dana C; 03-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    I found one via a Tegu forum that I contribute to. I am trading one of my three Tegu's for the Black Throat which is a 2.5-3' probable female. According to the owner, she is fairly tame. She seems to enjoy being stroked but tail whips when picked up, which is pretty normal for a juvenile lizard, monitor, or tegu. She has never bitten however.
    My adult male Tegu, Gordo bit me lightly once. He wasn't being agressive at the time but more curious. It broke the skin a little but that was it. He has never given me a threat display or anything since that one time. My 9 month old female did the same.
    The thing I have noticed when picking up monitors is they don't really tail whip, its more of them trying to balance. They aren't usually specifically trying to tail whip you, they just don't feel safely planted when first being picked up. The only time i have been bit was when my hand smelled like croc chow because i didnt wash them and it was more of a test nip. In general they dont really bite unless they have to, because they really dont see you as a food source. Thats where the tail whips come in. If they want to be left alone they will take a whipping stance that you will know when you see it. Good luck with yur new girl and post pics when you get her...

Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks
    Thank you for the input. That is the kind of stuff that I want. I never thought about tail whipping in that sense before and it makes me think of Gordo, my adult male Tegu. I does it most when I first lift him out of his cage. Once he settles in on my shoulder, he is fine.

Thanks
    Thank you for the input. That is the kind of stuff that I want. I never thought about tail whipping in that sense before and it makes me think of Gordo, my adult male Tegu. I does it most when I first lift him out of his cage. Once he settles in on my shoulder, he is fine.
    It seems like tail whipping because their tails are so powerful, but its more of a flailing trying to balance thing. Don't get me wrong, some will tail whip, but the more docile species and ones that have been handled more often tend to flail just trying to feel secure and balanced...

Like us on FACEBOOK...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast