Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Yah well tail whipping is no fun, I got picked by an 8 foot male croc monitor on a mid branch trying to empty a water basin, looked bad the next day felt worse, had to get stiches on my ear, split part of my lip, broke skin on my face, missed my eye by inches, my ear was swollen for a week, the doctor asked if I got slapped by a T-rex, inside joke hes a friend. I swear i was like 6feet away, freaking tail whipping sniper. apparently he was sleeping and basking, startled him. I make lots noises when I clean out cages now...lol whip me once shame on me,...
    Last edited by JLC; 03-05-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: language

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IceColdCuban For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Haha! They are sneaky buggers aren't they!?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IceColdCuban View Post
    Yah well tail whipping is no fun, I got picked by an 8 foot male croc monitor on a mid branch trying to empty a water basin, looked bad the next day felt worse, had to get stiches on my ear, split part of my lip, broke skin on my face, missed my eye by inches, my ear was swollen for a week, the doctor asked if I got slapped by a T-rex, inside joke hes a friend. I swear i was like 6feet away, freaking tail whipping sniper. apparently he was sleeping and basking, startled him. I make lots noises when I clean out cages now...lol whip me once shame on me,...
    Whipping sniper, that's great. Tail whips suck, that's for sure...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks

Cool Re: Black Throat Monitor questions

Well, I got my girl today. I let her get out of the bag inside her set up. The trader, told me she would eat right out of the box and he was right. She ate an impossible amout of ground turkey, beef, liver and calcium supplements. She is about 30" long as near as I can guess.
    I left her alone after that for a few hours. I went to her cage and she puffed up and hissed like a cobra. When I opened the sliding door, she stood up puffed up and was generally not liking me at first. She came to my hand licked a few times and backed off. I put my hand further in and got tail whipped for my effort. I put my hand in again and this time the tail whip was sort of whimpy. I waited with my hand in her enclosure for few minutes and slowly, while talking to her softly, stroked her head and jowls. She also let me stroke the underside of her chin. She actually closed her eyes at one point which I thought was a major thing. I have been in her room a couple more times today and she stands up and huffs, puffs and hisses but after a minute or two she calms down and approaches my hand. At one point, she came to my hand and lifted her head up so I assumed she wanted a under the neck rub which she did.

So far so good. I am totally smitten by her. Based upon the amount of food she is able to consume, she will be 18' in a few days. HAHAHA
    Last edited by Dana C; 03-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
    Well, I got my girl today. I let her get out of the bag inside her set up. The trader, told me she would eat right out of the box and he was right. She ate an impossible amout of ground turkey, beef, liver and calcium supplements. She is about 30" long as near as I can guess.
    I left her alone after that for a few hours. I went to her cage and she puffed up and hissed like a cobra. When I opened the sliding door, she stood up puffed up and was generally not liking me at first. She came to my hand licked a few times and backed off. I put my hand further in and got tail whipped for my effort. I put my hand in again and this time the tail whip was sort of whimpy. I waited with my hand in her enclosure for few minutes and slowly, while talking to her softly, stroked her head and jowls. She also let me stroke the underside of her chin. She actually closed her eyes at one point which I thought was a major thing. I have been in her room a couple more times today and she stands up and huffs, puffs and hisses but after a minute or two she calms down and approaches my hand. At one point, she came to my hand and lifted her head up so I assumed she wanted a under the neck rub which she did.

So far so good. I am totally smitten by her. Based upon the amount of food she is able to consume, she will be 18' in a few days. HAHAHA
    Glad you got her, let her settle in with as little stress as possible and I'm sure she will calm down even more good luck and where r the pics?

Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks

Re: Black Throat Monitor more questions

I have read much of what is available about BT's from Pro Exotics and other sources.
    Here is something which wasn't covered. I traded a Tegu for what the seller thought was a female BT. I noticed that when he/she was first put into her set up, that I thought I saw a hemi penis as it marked its new home. I saw it again when I gave him or her it's first bath today. It marked the bathroom, and me.
    I think I read somewhere that females have hemiclitoral apendidges. Do they or do I have a male. It is ok either way. I just want to know for naming purposes and behavioral observations.

Also, he wasn't sold to me as "tame". According to the seller he is about a year or a year and half old and is currently about 32". However, I noticed that he really responded to my voice talking to him softly. After getting tail whipped a couple of times, he as never tried it again except for a couple half hearted muted whips. He comes to my hand and puts his head into or under my hand to be stroked. He closes his eyes and seems to really enjoy it.
    In the bathroom, (I got him on Tuesday by the way), he didn't fight being picked up at all and seemed to enjoy his bath. After the bath he explored and climbed on me and marked the bathroom and me as well. He explored some more and climbed onto my leg, (I sit on the floor), up my shirt onto my shoulder pancaked and promptly fell asleep. I can hardly believe how much he trusts me and seems to want my company. Is this normal? Don't get me wrong, I am totally smitten by him or her and blown away by the temperament. I was expecting something much more aggressive. The basking area is around 110f and the cool end is mid to high 80's by the way. I am just lucky or is he / she special or will it turn into a Japanese three headed monster terror later on?

Is it a male based upon what I told you?

Thanks
    I have read much of what is available about BT's from Pro Exotics and other sources.
    Here is something which wasn't covered. I traded a Tegu for what the seller thought was a female BT. I noticed that when he/she was first put into her set up, that I thought I saw a hemi penis as it marked its new home. I saw it again when I gave him or her it's first bath today. It marked the bathroom, and me.
    I think I read somewhere that females have hemiclitoral apendidges. Do they or do I have a male. It is ok either way. I just want to know for naming purposes and behavioral observations.

Also, he wasn't sold to me as "tame". According to the seller he is about a year or a year and half old and is currently about 32". However, I noticed that he really responded to my voice talking to him softly. After getting tail whipped a couple of times, he as never tried it again except for a couple half hearted muted whips. He comes to my hand and puts his head into or under my hand to be stroked. He closes his eyes and seems to really enjoy it.
    In the bathroom, (I got him on Tuesday by the way), he didn't fight being picked up at all and seemed to enjoy his bath. After the bath he explored and climbed on me and marked the bathroom and me as well. He explored some more and climbed onto my leg, (I sit on the floor), up my shirt onto my shoulder pancaked and promptly fell asleep. I can hardly believe how much he trusts me and seems to want my company. Is this normal? Don't get me wrong, I am totally smitten by him or her and blown away by the temperament. I was expecting something much more aggressive. The basking area is around 110f and the cool end is mid to high 80's by the way. I am just lucky or is he / she special or will it turn into a Japanese three headed monster terror later on?

Is it a male based upon what I told you?
    Females will invert their scent glands when defecating and what not. They will look different than hemipenes. The hemipenes will be long tubes that "flower" at the tip, female scent glands are tapered and shorter with no "flower" at the end. As far as temps go, my Asian has a basking of 130° which is about the standard, but I am unsure if the BTs need less or more. They usually only tame as they get older, so as long as your handeling and everything she/he will continue to tame as they get older.

Watch this to see the "flower" that I'm talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cV21...e_gdata_player

Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks

Re: Black Throat Monitor questions

Based upon what you said and some more reading I am sure that she is a he....now for a good African name...

Thanks
    Ok here are some names. These are all male Bantu male baby names. Bantu is the predominate tribe in Tanzania which includes the Massi and a 120 others. Most of their names have some reference to God or character in one way or the other.

Take your pick and reply. Have fun! The boy needs a name!

AZIZI - Precious One
    BARAKE - Gods Blessing
    BAICARI - Promise
    BELAY - Superior
    CHIAMAKA - God is spendid
    CHIMELU - Make of God
    DEMBE - Peace
    JABULANI - Happy
    JABARI - Brave
    KENDI - The loved one
    KHAIRI - Kingly
    KINABO - Gift from God
    MAHDI - The Expected One
    NAEEM - Benevolent One
    RAFILA - Friend

Thanks

Re: Black Throat Monitor more questions

I am totally smitten by him or her and blown away by the temperament. I was expecting something much more aggressive. The basking area is around 110f and the cool end is mid to high 80's by the way. I am just lucky or is he / she special or will it turn into a Japanese three headed monster terror later on?
    Blackthroats are typically very tractable animals and have great personality. One of the best captive lizards, if you can handle the size of the animal and caging.

110F is quite low for basking, get it at least over 120F, 130F is a good target. And remember that the basking spot should encompass the ENTIRE animal, not just a spot on the animal. With larger lizards, we typically use 2-3 of the Halogen 50 watt Flood bulbs to create a large enough area for the lizard to properly bask.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123