Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Registered User Taxiballbreeder's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Stinky rats and mice.

We'll just wanted to post a thread on what you guys might suggest as an outside rat breeding shed alternitive. I currently have a 6 concrete mixing tub rack for the rats and 2 glass aquariums for some mice. I had to bring the rack and aquariums inside from their outside location for the winter. Now my prob. is this the smell is getting to my wonderful fiance who has been really nice so far but now is starting to complain about the smell. I clean their tubs very frequently, but the laundry area is just a door away from the rodents. I was hoping to get some input on what people use for a rat shed. I have seen several postings with rat sheds and this would be no problem for me to build-the only problem with these ideas is that I live in western Pa. and out temps thru the winter sometimes get extremely cold for what I need to maintain a good temp. for breeding (70 degrees). So with this said is there anyone in a colder climate that uses a shed and if so what do u do to keep temps. up. Also pictures of inside would be very helpful in designing a structure. I am going to try to get thru the next few months with the setup I currently, just planning for when the weather breaks. Thanks to all that reply.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I personally don't breed outdoors or in a shed, but I know many breeders who use oil/space heaters for their rats. I think as long as you have good insulation and a heater, you'll be fine.

As for the smell, what kind of bedding do you use? What kind of food are you feeding? Bad food will make their poo smell more.
    I breed my rats in my apartment and clean their bedding once a week. It usually starts to smell by day 5. Other than that, they don't smell bad.

And I would get rid of the mice. Mice smell horrible. I used to house mice and it would stink to high heaven. Their enclosure would smell just in a few hours after cleaning their bedding, where as the rats would take a few days... I'll never do mice again because of the smell....

Have you also thought about using an air purifier? I got one recently and it works magic. It cut down a lot of the odors. It also provides air flow.
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Taxiballbreeder (02-26-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I breed rats and mice and have someone who is very sensitive to their smell yet I breed them in our basement and have no complaints as you would not know that they are there even with the door open.

The keys are

Pine pine pellets and exhaust fan.

As far as temps the basement temps fluctuate from 48 in the winter to mid 80 during the summer and I have never had any issues.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Taxiballbreeder (02-26-2012)

Registered User Taxiballbreeder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I breed rats and mice and have someone who is very sensitive to their smell yet I breed them in our basement and have no complaints as you would not know that they are there even with the door open.

The keys are

Pine pine pellets and exhaust fan.

As far as temps the basement temps fluctuate from 48 in the winter to mid 80 during the summer and I have never had any issues.

I thought pine was also bad for the rats that's what a local breeder told me. I don't know though because years ago I used it with no problems. I only switched this past year due to the breeders info. Thanks for the reply and I do use a lab block diet for the smell prob. Also

Thanks

I'll agree with Deborah on yearly temp fluctuations...rats breed just fine below 70 degrees. I keep mine in my basement as well(45-48ish to 75-80ish). The odor isn't an issue either.

I will also disagree with Satomi, who is completely blowing the smell of mice out of proportion. Though they smell more than rats, it's not that bad with regular cleaning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Taxiballbreeder (02-27-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taxiballbreeder View Post
    I thought pine was also bad for the rats that's what a local breeder told me. I don't know though because years ago I used it with no problems. I only switched this past year due to the breeders info. Thanks for the reply and I do use a lab block diet for the smell prob. Also
    Pine is fine as long as it has been kiln dried. If it smells strongly of pine, it's no good and will do more harm than good. If it's got a wood fragrance with a slightly hint of pine, or no scent of pine, you should be okay.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post

I will also disagree with Satomi, who is completely blowing the smell of mice out of proportion. Though they smell more than rats, it's not that bad with regular cleaning.
    I don't think so. As I mentioned before, I breed in my apartment. When I had mice, I had to clean up almost every other day to keep their smell down. With my rats, I can't even tell they're around until at least day 5 after cleaning their bedding.... The mice smelled terrible. Maybe it was my particular mice..Or maybe I'm just more sensitive towards them??? Regardless, I still think cutting down on mice or not using them at all will help tremendously with the odor in the OP's home.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I've always used pine. I don't even think the pet stores sell it not kiln dried anymore do they? The big compressed bags I get at petsmart for $13 say kiln dried on the side in small writing. It's all I use now. I used the pellets a couple years ago but it's entirely too dusty and too heavy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post: