Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

0 members and 3,144 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Digital Timers

Thanks

Digital Timers

Like most class cage users I'm having an issue with humidity. I have tried pretty much everything on here (except coconut husk substrate). I want to hook up a fogger and put it on a timer. Any suggestions for a digital timer that would allow me to choose what time I want the device on and for how long. Ultimately I don't think I would want it on frequently or for very long. I think that might make the cage too moist.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I would recommend that you use on of these:

http://1000bulbs.com/product/63151/E...www.nextag.com
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Try just a basic timer with 1/2 hour increments. They're the least expensive, and for foggers, you don't really need more precise timing. Often, it is vastly over estimated how wet the fogger will really make your cage. In most situations, you'll find a fine layer of moisture (similar to dew drops) all over the surfaces of the cage, but rarely does the substrate become wet enough to cause problems. If 1/2 hour creates too much moisture, just dial down how much comes out when it turns on. ZooMed foggers come with a dial that you can use to adjust the amount of fog coming out. Theoretically, you could run the fogger all day, just on a lower setting, and have the same effect on humidity.

However, running a fogger for 1/2 hour, 3 times a day, should work well for your ball python. I run a couple at home for 1 - 2 hours daily (often more!) for my amazon tree boas and vivarium tanks, and still find that the substrate has plenty of time to remain dry.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks

Re: Digital Timers

I'm planning to go to HomeDept sometime this week to pick up a timer. I don't expect to run it more than 3 times a day. I'm going to experiment with the duration times to see whats best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    I run a couple at home for 1 - 2 hours daily (often more!) for my amazon tree boas and vivarium tanks, and still find that the substrate has plenty of time to remain dry.

-Jen
    What kind of substrate do you use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narist View Post
    What kind of substrate do you use?
    Cypress mulch, orchid bark, and eco earth, depending on the cage.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks

IMO I feel like foggers are geared more toward high high humidity creatures. The ball really only needs about 50-60% humidity and around 70% when shedding. My house is already 35% humidity, and i live in a pretty dry place (eastern washington). If you have a screen top, maybe it would be a good idea to cover it with tinfoil or plexi-glass. A good spray once every 2 or 3 days, and my 60 watt infrared bulb halfway over the water bowl keeps the humidity really nice. BTW my substrate is repti-bark.