Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,456

2 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Are pythons overrunning the Everglades?

Some experts now say no

(Reuters) - Reports that Burmese pythons are devouring almost entire populations of mammals in the Florida Everglades are premature, according to some exotic species experts and a co-author of a widely quoted study.

The idea of pythons annihilating the Everglades made headlines after a January 30 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science said researches found severe declines in the population of small and mid-sized mammals.

The study presented data supporting its hypothesis that "Burmese pythons have severely reduced populations of several species of formerly common mammals" in the Everglades.

"Do I think we have an impending disaster? I don't think so," said Scott Hardin, exotic species coordinator for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

"That study should have never made it to the light of day," said Florida herpetologist Shaw Heflin, known to many as host of National Geographic's "Python Hunters" show. "I don't see anything thus far to point to the fact that these pythons are causing serious harm."

The study compared sightings of animals along park roads before and after the year 2000, which is when the authors say pythons were recognized as being established in the park.

It found a 99.3 percent decrease in observed raccoons and a 98.9 percent decrease in observed opossums, the two most frequently encountered species, as well as decreased sightings of white-tailed deer, bobcats, rabbits and foxes. Sightings of rodents, coyotes and Florida panthers increased.

"The magnitude of these declines underscores the apparent incredible density of pythons in the Everglades National Park," the study concluded.

Everglades National Park spokeswoman Linda Friar said park biologists have "no hard science" demonstrating there has been a dramatic reduction in mammal populations.

Most of the 1.5 million-acre park is inaccessible wilderness.

The size of the python population is unknown with estimates ranging from a few thousand to tens of thousands, according to Friar. Many pythons are believed to have succumbed from the cold during the 2009 and 2010 winters, according to Heflin and Hardin.

Heflin criticizes the authors of the study for failing to fully investigate and dispose of other factors that could account for their observations, including a decade-long drought, cyclical population fluctuations, increased development and pollution.

"There's almost always some other factors going on and certainly in the Everglades, we know that hydrology and water levels plays a huge role in animal abundance," Hardin said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81N24120120224
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ER12 For This Useful Post:

Maixx (02-26-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (02-26-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I've recently been down to the everglades, and I didn't see a single burn in the 6 hours that I was there.... There can't possibly be that many there.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I really don't believe there are that many, at least nowhere near 10,000+. We all know that people like to exaggerate when it comes to big snakes and fear mongering.

Thanks
    As a south Florida resident I must say that there are a large number of pythons cohabiting the everglades these days... but the damages reported seem really out of proportion. Pythons fall prey to many of the species mentioned and as predators they're doing a great job removing some of the overpopulated nuisance critters who cause real problems.

The only real issue I've noted involves the occasions where pythons prey on the endangered key deer, though to be completely the species wasn't thriving all that well before anyone considered snakes as a culprit. The deer were dwindling in number for a reason...

In any case, we can only blame owner negligence. Fair? Not at all, but we're talking about an area where a lot of dog breeds have been banned because of human incapacity too.

Thanks

Re: Are pythons overrunning the Everglades?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlacey View Post
    As a south Florida resident I must say that there are a large number of pythons cohabiting the everglades these days... but the damages reported seem really out of proportion. Pythons fall prey to many of the species mentioned and as predators they're doing a great job removing some of the overpopulated nuisance critters who cause real problems.

The only real issue I've noted involves the occasions where pythons prey on the endangered key deer, though to be completely the species wasn't thriving all that well before anyone considered snakes as a culprit. The deer were dwindling in number for a reason...

In any case, we can only blame owner negligence. Fair? Not at all, but we're talking about an area where a lot of dog breeds have been banned because of human incapacity too.
    I sense a troll. You just joined today and your first response is to this thread. Log off and go python hunting...
    Mike

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (02-25-2012),heathers*bps (02-26-2012),Munizfire (02-27-2012),Slim (02-26-2012)

Thanks
    My family runs a charter boat service in islamorada in the keys and i go down alot. I was there for 3 weeks in august and i went with my cousin who is a airboat tour guide in the glades and didnt see one single python and believe me i looked. The locals down there are saying the winter of 2010 wiped out alot of native species so if native species succombed to the harsh temps it had to have a huge effect on the pythons considering they havent adapted to seeking underground shelter to escape the cold. My cousin also said that fiah and game are more concerned about the over population problems with gators then pythons. If there is an over population proble of gators then it would be safe to say that they are the ones responsible for the mamals getting eaten then pythons doing it considering a gator is going to eat more.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ER12 View Post
    Some experts now say no

(Reuters) - Reports that Burmese pythons are devouring almost entire populations of mammals in the Florida Everglades are premature, according to some exotic species experts and a co-author of a widely quoted study.

The idea of pythons annihilating the Everglades made headlines after a January 30 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science said researches found severe declines in the population of small and mid-sized mammals.

The study presented data supporting its hypothesis that "Burmese pythons have severely reduced populations of several species of formerly common mammals" in the Everglades.

"Do I think we have an impending disaster? I don't think so," said Scott Hardin, exotic species coordinator for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

"That study should have never made it to the light of day," said Florida herpetologist Shaw Heflin, known to many as host of National Geographic's "Python Hunters" show. "I don't see anything thus far to point to the fact that these pythons are causing serious harm."

The study compared sightings of animals along park roads before and after the year 2000, which is when the authors say pythons were recognized as being established in the park.

It found a 99.3 percent decrease in observed raccoons and a 98.9 percent decrease in observed opossums, the two most frequently encountered species, as well as decreased sightings of white-tailed deer, bobcats, rabbits and foxes. Sightings of rodents, coyotes and Florida panthers increased.

"The magnitude of these declines underscores the apparent incredible density of pythons in the Everglades National Park," the study concluded.

Everglades National Park spokeswoman Linda Friar said park biologists have "no hard science" demonstrating there has been a dramatic reduction in mammal populations.

Most of the 1.5 million-acre park is inaccessible wilderness.

The size of the python population is unknown with estimates ranging from a few thousand to tens of thousands, according to Friar. Many pythons are believed to have succumbed from the cold during the 2009 and 2010 winters, according to Heflin and Hardin.

Heflin criticizes the authors of the study for failing to fully investigate and dispose of other factors that could account for their observations, including a decade-long drought, cyclical population fluctuations, increased development and pollution.

"There's almost always some other factors going on and certainly in the Everglades, we know that hydrology and water levels plays a huge role in animal abundance," Hardin said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81N24120120224

Here we go again with the misinformation...

Huff post started this and then issued a second report due to the public outcry pointing out the lack of study and evidence.. If you read this entire thing they go on to say there are other major changes taking place also. The pythons are not the cause of any mammals disappearing.. that much is obvious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...b_1257911.html

Now let me find the link about how no pythons have been seen since the cold snap last year with the exception if a couple sick or dying ones....

There is absolutely not an over population of pythons in the glades. When the initial numbers were created by the politicians and their scientists, they took the number of pythons that had been seen or captured in a certain area and multiplied that by the entire square milage of the glades.. Not taking into consideration that those pythons are not aquatic and most of that square milage would be uninhabitable by the pythons since it is under water.. The entire thing was very blown out of proportion from the beginning.

Common sense people... Is there no more of that anymore or are the trolls all thinking like the politicians now..

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Here we go..
    Where have all the pythons gone??
    http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...ons.vanish.cnn

And I meant to quote and reply to Ohlacey in my first post.. Sorry about that....
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 02-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks

Re: Are pythons overrunning the Everglades?

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    I sense a troll. You just joined today and your first response is to this thread. Log off and go python hunting...
    Sorry for my input. Silly of me to think I should post a response to a topic on an Internet forum...

Thanks
    Gators kill more key deer then the pythons. But the biggest killer to the key deer has been humans. As growth and developement pushes the limits around the keys it takes away their habitat pushing them deeper into areas overwhelmed with gators.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast