Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,404

0 members and 1,404 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I think the rat pup I feed Fang may have been too big

The Rat pup he I gave him was a lil big it was maybe a couple of day from being a small rat. it had its fur and the eyes were open. I may be a protective (grandpa ) when it comes to this snake. FAng is around 170 - 185 grams I say it like this because when I went to way him a couple of days ago he wouldnt stay still but the scale went up to 185 and when he was partly off it went down to 172grm. The Rat wasnt much rounder then him but it was pretty big. Is there any concern for this since he did eat it like a champ? Also he will probly be going into a shed state in a couple of days if he stays with the monthly schedule like te last 2 months.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    If he was able to eat it alright I wouldn't worry. Just leave him alone for a few days so he can digest.

Just double check basic stuff, make sure his warm side is at the proper temperature to aid in his digestion. Also you may want to make sure that his humidity is at least 50% since you suspect he'll be going into shed soon.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Re: I think the rat pup I feed Fang may have been too big

I check his temps 4 times daily and they are to be where they should. I told my son yesterday we need to give him 2 or 3 days before he is held again. He has a humidity hide which he loves and since we have a screen top I have been using a damp towel to help keep th humidity level good. I am just a over protective parent w my kids and my kids pets. My wife thinks we live in a zoo lol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKevin View Post
    I check his temps 4 times daily and they are to be where they should. I told my son yesterday we need to give him 2 or 3 days before he is held again. He has a humidity hide which he loves and since we have a screen top I have been using a damp towel to help keep th humidity level good. I am just a over protective parent w my kids and my kids pets. My wife thinks we live in a zoo lol
    Your wife should see my house....lol. If Fang got it down ok, just leave him be, make sure he is warm and he should be ok. As long as its not bigger around than his widest part, you should he fine. I don't do the whole weigh the rat thing. Just eyeball it. I'm sure the snakes don't weight them in the wild....

Thanks
    Even if your temps were a little low, it is a proven fact that ball pythons can raise their body temps by about 2 degrees during the digestion process. Remember, if your little guy was in the wild he would eat whatever he can get his hands on. I'm not saying lets over feed our animals here, just that it will be ok.
    Mike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (02-25-2012)

Thanks
    Dr if I had to eyeball it I would say it was a lil bit rounder then his widest part and thats what scared me, I will keep him warm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I'm going to go ahead and say it:

There is zero chance it was too big for your snake, and I bet your BP could have taken three times as much in a single meal.

That's not to say overfeeding is a good idea, especially regularly, but feeding a slightly large feeder for a single meal isn't anything to worry about.

If he didn't regurg it, it wasn't too big. You'd be surprised what these snakes can put down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (02-25-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I just fed 3 ~170-190 girls small rats yesterday. The rats were bigger than the largest part of their bodies, but they all got the rats down fine. Now they all look like fat sausages.
    nothing to worry about

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say it:

There is zero chance it was too big for your snake, and I bet your BP could have taken three times as much in a single meal.

That's not to say overfeeding is a good idea, especially regularly, but feeding a slightly large feeder for a single meal isn't anything to worry about.

If he didn't regurg it, it wasn't too big. You'd be surprised what these snakes can put down.
    Yup, they are amazing creatures. My boy put down a rat that was on the verge of being a large, where he eats mediums. He just constricted it, and ate. And yes, agreed, if they were in the wild they would eat whatever they can sink their teeth into.

Thanks
    Well this is all good to know but I still will not feed him anything larger then a Rat pup yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast