Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

3 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41Qrt Rack Tub

Thanks

41Qrt Rack Tub

I just had a thought. Could you keep two Corn Snakes in the same 41Qrt Rack Rub or would it not be enough room for both of them? I know a lot of people keep pythons and boas in them, but I don't own any Corn's so I have no knowledge myself.

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Here's an article I wrote for my website regarding co-habbing snakes:

http://squamishserpents.ca/care-info...-one-enclosure

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

RaskaNeil (02-24-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    it is never advisable to keep 2 snakes in the same enclosure. That is unless you are talking about putting a divider down the center of the tub. I don't have any corn snakes, but the rule is pretty universal.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

RaskaNeil (02-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thank you, both of you! I had heard that Corns and Garter snakes are fine to cohabitat. I've never. Owned a either so I didn't know (although I do know the rule of thumb though)

Thanks
    They're fine to cohab like its OK to drive without a seatbelt. Odds are nothing bad will happen and everything will be just fine. But there is a chance, of something going wrong, so why even risk it?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Apple Herps For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-24-2012),RaskaNeil (02-24-2012)

Thanks
    I knew a guy that kept a male and female corn snake together in the same tank. He would take them out to feed them individually and then put them back. Every so often he would find eggs in the tank and throw them out.

He eventually gave the female away to someone. I took the male who now lives alone and hasn't complained once about missing his companion.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Apple Herps View Post
    They're fine to cohab like its OK to drive without a seatbelt. Odds are nothing bad will happen and everything will be just fine. But there is a chance, of something going wrong, so why even risk it?
    I think this is a very good way of putting it for people.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

RaskaNeil (02-24-2012)

Thanks

Re: 41Qrt Rack Tub

Blue Apple Herps put it perfectly...as for corns specifically, still better off housing separately. Baby corns have been know to eat each other, not so much adults. Still, it's like driving without a seat belt or leaving a candle to burn overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    Here's an article I wrote for my website regarding co-habbing snakes:

http://squamishserpents.ca/care-info...-one-enclosure
    "Snakes have been known to cannibalize each other. Size doesn’t seem to be a trigger for it, either. When a snake eats another snake, usually both of them die. I’m not actually aware if any cannibal snakes have lived."

Quoted from your article...I would hotly contest this statement, as there are noted species of snakes that eat other snakes and do just fine.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that when people say snakes don't live together, they are completely generalizing. Garter snakes and rattlesnakes, notably, hibernate in large groups. However you wish to look at it, that is living together, and depending on where, it can be for the better part of a year.

Now, that being said, there is absolutely nothing beneficial to co-habitating captive snakes.

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    Blue Apple Herps put it perfectly...as for corns specifically, still better off housing separately. Baby corns have been know to eat each other, not so much adults. Still, it's like driving without a seat belt or leaving a candle to burn overnight.

"Snakes have been known to cannibalize each other. Size doesn’t seem to be a trigger for it, either. When a snake eats another snake, usually both of them die. I’m not actually aware if any cannibal snakes have lived."

Quoted from your article...I would hotly contest this statement, as there are noted species of snakes that eat other snakes and do just fine.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that when people say snakes don't live together, they are completely generalizing. Garter snakes and rattlesnakes, notably, hibernate in large groups. However you wish to look at it, that is living together, and depending on where, it can be for the better part of a year.

Now, that being said, there is absolutely nothing beneficial to co-habitating captive snakes.
    Good point, RobNJ. I should go back and clarify what exactly I mean by that. Any ideas on how to word it?

What I'm getting at is I'm not sure anybody has had a pet snake eat another pet snake, and live. I'd imagine it's extremely hard on the cannibal snakes body to regurgitate up an entire snake after consuming it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    Any ideas on how to word it?
    I think just a fair warning about the possibility of cannibalism along with the pictures is fair enough warning. If anyone reads and then sees that cannibalism is a real possibility, and then proceeds to keep their snakes together, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it when they're on here or another forum crying about how one of their snakes ate the other and both of them died. Actually, now that I think about it, every forum should have a sticky on it along with pictures as a warning of how things can go south between two snakes that "like each other".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast