Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

0 members and 3,250 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Selling at shows...

Hey, to all those who have sold at shows, how was it? Is it fiscally better than just online sales? I am going to start selling at shows this year or next and I was just curious about these things. I am just curious as to peoples thoughts on selling at shows. Do you usually make up for crappy sells online by selling at shows? I have around 10 shows that are close enough to drive to yearly for me. I want to make sure I have a good stock of healthy different morphs and everything before going to the first show, which will probably be the Sacramento Reptile Show in September. I know there are issues with mite transfer for people handeling other snakes then handeling yours and stuff like that, but that can be avoided. I am going to sell on Fauna, here, and my own website (when finished) as well as locally (which I have done to this point), but I think selling at shows would definitely be beneficial. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    No, you shouldn't plan on selling a lot of animals at the shows. What's happened for us, so far, is a lot of networking, and a few sales.
    We did have several folks contact us AFTER the show to buy animals, who had seen us there and gotten business cards, too.

The vast majority of our sales are still online. If you're having issues selling animals online, I recommend:
    Do more advertising.
    Have great photos.
    Make sure your prices are within market ranges (not too high or low).
    Make sure you have references.

We've never regretted getting a table at a show, the networking opportunities and the future business are worth it, even if you barely make your table fee back some years.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (02-21-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    No, you shouldn't plan on selling a lot of animals at the shows. What's happened for us, so far, is a lot of networking, and a few sales.
    We did have several folks contact us AFTER the show to buy animals, who had seen us there and gotten business cards, too.

The vast majority of our sales are still online. If you're having issues selling animals online, I recommend:
    Do more advertising.
    Have great photos.

We've never regretted getting a table at a show, the networking opportunities and the future business are worth it, even if you barely make your table fee back some years.
    I have sold and traded locally, I am going to have a website soon and I will sell on fauna and here. I know the people that sold at this years Sacramento show did very well but the ones I know of didn't only sell ball pythons. A friend of mine owns a local reptile store and he cleaned up at the show, but they sold a bunch of different animals as well as supplies and enclosures...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Like us on FACEBOOK...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post

Do more advertising.
    Have great photos.

How much does a table fee cost? I hadnt even thought of that before...
    Not that ill be selling at shows anytime soon lol, but im curious to know.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Around $300

Like us on FACEBOOK...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-21-2012)

Thanks

Re: Selling at shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Possibly varies based on the organizer or where you are, but the local expo I got Yuki from charges $75 for the first table and then $25 for additional tables. Tables are 6 feet long. Went and checked their website for you. :)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Himitsu For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-21-2012)

Thanks
    The sac show is $300 for a 10' table, Vegas show is $250 a table, and so on. They all vary depending on where you are, but around here $250-300 is average. Most if not all of the shows around here also require a seller's permit (which I already have).

Last edited by Zombie; 02-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    Like us on FACEBOOK...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-21-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Maybe you should ask the local breeders who vend at shows in addition to your friend. When I went to the Sacramento show last Fall, the ball python only breeders seemed to be doing pretty decent. I bought a female pastel from Heather Wong(Heather's Herps or LadyOhh here on Bp.net) at the last show. She vends in Socal as well. I'm sure she'll give some good pointers if you ask.

And Brian Gundy from For Goodness Snakes vends in Sacramento from the Bay Area. He has amazing looking balls. He's really helpful and good about responding to questions too.

Honestly, I find that shows are more for publicity than to get actual sales. As a new breeder, its important to get your name out there and get exposure. Have healthy animals, a nice table set up, decent buisness cards and you're good to go.

Good luck. I'll probably see you at the Sac show later this year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Maybe you should ask the local breeders who vend at shows in addition to your friend. When I went to the Sacramento show last Fall, the ball python only breeders seemed to be doing pretty decent. I bought a female pastel from Heather Wong(Heather's Herps or LadyOhh here on Bp.net) at the last show. She vends in Socal as well. I'm sure she'll give some good pointers if you ask.

And Brian Gundy from For Goodness Snakes vends in Sacramento from the Bay Area. He has amazing looking balls. He's really helpful and good about responding to questions too.

Honestly, I find that shows are more for publicity than to get actual sales. As a new breeder, its important to get your name out there and get exposure. Have healthy animals, a nice table set up, decent buisness cards and you're good to go.

Good luck. I'll probably see you at the Sac show later this year.
    Some of the local breeders form clicks and may not be willing to help that much. I know you know one of them for sure. You may see me if I have enough animals to sell. My main goal is to find out if driving to some further away shoes is going to be worth it, ya know? Like Pomona and narbc in socal and the Reno repticon, etc. I guess I kinda just need to go and do it to see. You never know how much you can believe from local guys cause they may be not telling the truth trying to discourage competition (I don't believe heather or Brian would really do that, but the clicky types might)...

Like us on FACEBOOK...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We sell a lot of animals at shows. We love doing shows and do 3-4 a month. We were told by lots of others not to do one show or another for various reasons and we still did them and do very well at them. If nothing else you'll gain some contacts and your name will be out there in public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast