Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

0 members and 2,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Ball Python Is Acting Weird

Hey there, I recently got a ball python for a first snake and its been doing well for the first few months i had it. There were no feeding problems, he'd eat every week (well every 5- 6 days) even when he was going through his first shed he ate fine. but now he wont come out of his rock annd he stays balled up. he hasnt left his rock for two days now. should i be worried? I didnt want to lift his rock and try to handle him jut in case hes being territorial. Can any body help me?

Thanks
    My BP does this pretty often. As far as I've noticed with mine (a fat snake is a happy snake within reason), feeding every five does on a good meal, they might be like us after we get full (just want to lounge around).

As long as it eventually drinks water and doesn't lose a noticable amount of weight he'll be fine. I'm not breeder or expert so take this with a grain of salt, there are a lot of people here who obviously know more and can help you better.

Thanks
    What are your temps and humidity at?

It sounds to me like hes getting settled, ball pythons are called that for a reason. They spend their days crammed in thier hides and only come out at night, so him staying in there for days on end is totally normal.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My Ball Python Is Acting Weird

he sounds perfectly normal to me.... mine hides all day every day. every once in a while i will catch him drinking water or he may just poke his head out when i walk into my room to see whats going on. i honestly wouldnt worry about it. sounds like he is settling in just fine. but like the previous post said... make sure he is not dropping too much weight. BP are picky eaters, mine had been on an eating streak for about 2 months and i tried to feed yesterday and he wanted nothing to do with the food i was offering.

Thanks
    What are the temps like in the enclosure (warm side, cold side, and ambient)? How's the humidity? Usually a hidden BP is a happy BP. You should take him out and check on him to see if he is ok. Don't worry about being "territorial" because I don't think they get "territorial" to the point where they are defending that piece of property (I could be wrong). Usually they strike because they are stressed. He could be going into shed again. When my BP goes into shed he seems to be miserable and doesn't come out for anything except to eat and then hides again until all of that skin comes off. You'll never know until you take him out and check. It sounds like he is fine though.
    Last edited by RetiredJedi; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sounds pretty normal for a ball python to me....

Thanks

X4 MIne do the same thing just make sure your husbandry is good temps humidity he should be perfectly happy
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    There shouldn't be a problem. BP's can be pretty hardy and let us not forget how lazy they can be.

Thanks
    Although it's been said, that's perfectly normal behavior for a ball python. That's what they do- sit there.

Thanks
    Do you have a humid hide, or do you manually maintain humidity? Either, or both is fine. I have a humid hide because getting my humidity to shed levels is absolutely impossible for me. I only say this because when my snake crawls into her humid hide, she doesn't come out for two weeks straight. That is the length of her shed cycle. So, if your snake is settling down in a hide and you don't see him again for days to weeks on end, very possible a shed is coming.

But even if it isn't, a hiding ball python is a happy ball python! Mine also took a few months to really settle down and spend day and night hiding. She just got older and more comfortable with her surrounding. Her tank became home and she finally associated it with safety, a warm place to sleep and steady meals through the door. Just takes time. Hiding is a good sign!
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast