Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

1 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Most effective and cleanest way to defrost feeders

Hi,

I am thinking of switching my small BP from large mice to frozen rat pups.

I actually like feeding live, which I do in a separate large bin, because I don't have to deal with defrosting, the snake takes it down fairly quick, and has a great feeding response. Not to mention that it's very interesting to watch, even though there seems like there is some debait over this.

I never leave him unattended and stand by with large tweezers to grab the feet of the mouse if he starts to fuss n scratch before he's unconscious.

I've read that the rat pups are more nutritious and will make the snake fatten up quicker. The only problem is I cannot find ANY pet stores that have live rat pups in Connecticut, I was only able to find a Petco that had frozen rat pups.

I was wondering what the best procedure is to thaw and defrost the pups. I was wondering what materials people use and if this a messy process . I am a bit of a germaphobe, so I don't know if I can deal with defrosting a rat pup every week and cleaning up rat juice.

Would I be able to leave it out under a heat lamp, or on top of a heat mat in a bowl or container to defrost it without cooking it? I would be nervous to put it on defrost in the microwave because I don't want to cook it, plus everyone in my house would not be very happy with rats in the same microwave as their food. Maybe I'll have to get a small cheap microwave just for the feeders?

It would be great if everyone can post their methods and procedure, step by step that they've learned through experience and came up with to make it most effective, yet make cleanup easy and quick.

Also by switching to frozen, I'd like to start feeding in the snakes enclosure by waiting for the snake to strike the feeder, then quickly place a small piece of card board under the feeder and front half of the snake so I don't have to worry as much about the snake eating and substrate after getting stuck to the feeder. (I use Eco earth)

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Most effective and cleanest way to defrost feeders

I just use hot tap water to thaw out my frozen rats and then I blast the head with a hair dryer before giving it to my snake. Please DO NOT use a microwave or you will have one heck of a mess on your hands and it will also cook the rat which would not be good for your snake.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Thanks

hot water in a 5 gal bucket..
    spooky

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Don't microwave it. It will explode, lol.

I've used heat pads to thaw them before, but it takes forever, which increases the risk of bacterial growth (potentially not so great for the snake). Honestly, a disposable cup of hot tap water should do the trick for you. Just dump it down the sink and throw the cup away. Not exactly a big deal.

Also, while some ball pythons will switch from live mice to frozen/thawed rats without a fuss, I wouldn't count on it. Read up on all the tricks for switching ball pythons from one food type to another.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 02-21-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

RoyaLoveRay (01-09-2015),Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Thanks

Vinny 4

There's a couple of discussions on this. Check out THIS ONE
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredJedi For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-21-2012),Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Thanks
    Hot tap water in a disposable cup, then dry it up with a blow dryer. sounds easy enough, and not very messy at all.

I defiantly won't use a microwave, and wouldn't really want to even if it was appropriate, so I'm glad that's out lol.

So hot tap water as hot as I can get it out of the faucet?

How long do I let it soak, and what is the best way to check to make sure it's fully thawed out?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Do not use a microwave.

I thaw mine in hot water, I fill a bowl, ut the rats in it, when the water cools, poor it out, fill it back up, and by the time it cools again, theyre usially thawed. I do medium rats though so yours wont take as long. Just remember to feel the rat for any possible frozen spots.

And dont worry about him eating the eco earth, unless he eats a bunch of it I doubt it will hurt him
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cmack91 For This Useful Post:

Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Thanks
    I figured I'd focus on the thawing process first, then see how it goes for the first time.

He usually has a great feeding response, and doesn't seem to be too picky, so I hope I'm not jinxing this right now and should knock on some wood lol

I've came across a few posts about switching from live to f/t, and I know there is one on the first page still, but I just wanted to make sure I learned how to defrost them correctly first.

Thanks again.

Thanks

My boy will not eat if I put the rat in water... its pretty annoying but haha what ever works. I've wasted a few rats now just testing to see what he will eat.

I have to just leave the rat sitting on a pile of paper towels on top of his cage for 3-5 hours then hit the head with a blow dryer on low for about 10 minutes and he will take it in seconds.
    I've tried while having the rat sitting out all day to also thaw another one in the water then hit it with the blow drier and offer him the one that had been in water. He just will not take it, picky little thing. But 10 minutes later when I offer him the one that had been sitting out will snatch it up!
    My only assumption is somehow thawing in the water makes it smell different? I will try with spring water and distilled water this next week.
    Last edited by jdouglas; 02-21-2012 at 03:37 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdouglas For This Useful Post:

RoyaLoveRay (01-09-2015),Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny 4 View Post
    Hot tap water in a disposable cup, then dry it up with a blow dryer. sounds easy enough, and not very messy at all.

I defiantly won't use a microwave, and wouldn't really want to even if it was appropriate, so I'm glad that's out lol.

So hot tap water as hot as I can get it out of the faucet?

How long do I let it soak, and what is the best way to check to make sure it's fully thawed out?

Thanks everyone!
    You got the idea .
    For the smaller rodents, (fuzzies and mice), I can heat up 4 of those in 10 minutes. I have a pretty big plastic container with a lid on it, and I just put the rodents in sandwich bags then into the hot water. In 10 minutes, I'll check on them, and feel the rodents within the bag to see if they're hot/warm. If there's any cold spots, Go ahead and leave them in the same container of water for 5 to 10 minutes. They should be warm by then .

The bigger rodents will take about 20 minutes for me, using the hottest the tap water can get.

NOTE: If you leave them in there for too long, they can burst once the snake squeezes them.. I remember the first time it happened.. It was smelly, it freaked me out, and it was messy.. So try not to forget about them lol. I'm guilty of forgetting about the rodents a couple times ^_^;
    Last edited by h00blah; 02-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

Vinny 4 (02-29-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast