Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

4 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Leopard Gecko keepers, critique my setup please

My Leopard Geckos will be here soon and this is how I have my setup. The right side of the photo is the hot side. The humid hide is on the top right, which will have moist paper towel inside it. On the left (cold side) is a hide and a water dish. In the middle is just a small dish that will have the super worms or whatever they will be fed. Substrate is paper towel.

The hot side is about 90-92 degrees, the cold side is between 78-80.

Let me know what you guys think I need to change or add.

Thanks
    Your set up looks Great. The only thing I'll add is I stay away from worms of all sorts except for hornworms (tomato worms) everything else is really fatty and things like super worms are just not that great for them to digest. I personally prefer to keep all my Herps on crickets or roaches. Anything else just creates a recipe for fatty liver disease. Supers are like butter in their diet. It's alot healthier for them to just be kept off the worms and just given the crix or roaches. Beyond that you look great!

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

adamsky27 (02-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thank you for the reply, that makes me feel better. I would love to feed Dubia roaches, and even breed my own. The bad thing is I don't think anybody else in the house would approve.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Supers are ok in moderation not as a staple of there diet. Mealworms are not a problem at all. Dubia are good but the play dead thing is a pain as most leo's want there food moving. Discoids are a better roach for that. Butter worms are very good as well just expensive as hell. Crickets are fine as well, but you have to watch them as they will snack on your leo if left in the cage too long. So you might want to leave something for the crickets to eat in the cage.

The single most important thing is to gut load your insects no matter what they are.

Nice set up by the way. One thing don't use paper towel in the moist hide, get yourself some new zealand sphagnum moss (beige/off white moss not green moss) it lasts a long time holds moisture and doesn't mold very easily. If you have any questions or need some advice feel free to pm me.

Thanks
    One thing I would mention is, in my experience, leos like their bathrooms in the directly opposite corner as their water source. (Actually rabbits are like this too.) So you might want to move your hides a bit to give some space in the upper right corner for the deposits.

I'd also suggest some more air flow if you're adding a lid - that cool side could be a bit cooler, but with adequate air flow you should be good to go. The holes on the sides there won't be enough IMHO. (I used to do calcs for air flow in electronics, I'm a bit of a stick in the mud with that sort of thing. )
    Mostly Leos and Cresties, but also
    1.0 Human (wild caught next door, but taming nicely)