Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: RTB Help needed

Thanks

RTB Help needed

Hey guys,

Im looking at getting a male BCI at the Tinley Park show that is coming up. I have looked at a bunch of care sheets and posts but I have been unable to find anything about keeping them in tubs as adults. Is this typically not recommended or what? I really don't want to make a custom enclosure.... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    There are some people who keep full grown boas in tubs/racks. A large boa should be in a 6 foot wide enclosure. Personally I would save up and buy a PVC cage made my animal plastics. The T20 is the perfect size.

Here is their website: http://www.animalplastics.com/
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    When I first got my girl she was about 5ft, I kept her in a tub for around half a year with no problems. I can't remember the dimensions of the tub off the top of my head, I do remember I got it from Home Depot though. As long as you set it up right you should have no issues; however, I only have experience with it being a temp setup so if you want it set up for long-term or permanent I would suggest looking around to see if you can talk to someone who actually has done it in the past or is doing it presently.

One thing I will say though: If you get a tub setup, SECURE THE TOP. Like, over-secure it. I used cinderblocks on the lids for a few days and she STILL somehow managed to get out. Had to use bungee ties that we could just barely get around it to keep her in.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xFenrir For This Useful Post:

abrunsen (02-13-2012)

Thanks

Re: RTB Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    When I first got my girl she was about 5ft, I kept her in a tub for around half a year with no problems. I can't remember the dimensions of the tub off the top of my head, I do remember I got it from Home Depot though. As long as you set it up right you should have no issues; however, I only have experience with it being a temp setup so if you want it set up for long-term or permanent I would suggest looking around to see if you can talk to someone who actually has done it in the past or is doing it presently.

One thing I will say though: If you get a tub setup, SECURE THE TOP. Like, over-secure it. I used cinderblocks on the lids for a few days and she STILL somehow managed to get out. Had to use bungee ties that we could just barely get around it to keep her in.
    Haha wow... ok I will make sure I over secure it. Thanks for the help!
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    The minimum recommended enclosure for a full grown MALE BCI is 4x2. Females should have at least a 6x2. If you can find a Christmas tree tub, that might work for a male. There are some racks available to that would work.

I personally recommend www.pvccages.com. Jim makes wonderful cages at a very affordable rate! If your only going to have one and don't plan to breed, you wont be sorry having a pvc cage from either Jim or AP.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?