Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

1 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks

Idea to effect good PR for the hobby.

Alright, so here is my idea and please feel free to add on/criticize/ or elaborate on my idea. I have spent at least a small amount of time in learning about advertising, seeing its application and most importantly seeing what effects can be achieved with propaganda/advertisement with out the opposition opinion present.

So as I see it now we have one major advocate for reptile keepers in USARK. Like them or not, feel disappointed in them, but these are guys dedicated to fighting, what I feel, is the majority of people who could care less about any snakes and probably most reptiles. You can guarantee that if you have a phobia of snakes which is probably very prevalent, or you are a PETA type person you are totally against snakes if not all reptiles. The key with this fact and why it is prevelant is that there is no effective defense against it.

This is were my idea takes root. The reptile nation is prevalent. We are also largely artistically minded. With that in mind I suggest that we use USARK and maybe some of the larger breeders to host and sponser a video campaign to come up with a very effective commercial to show the true lives of captive reptiles versus the dire states that would be realized via bans. Using USARK as well as trusted individuals in the industry I am positive that we could cut together a very compelling commercial for minimal cost. Then with a viable commercial it can be presented to the hobbiest as to what the cost are to propagate this message, ideally to include print media.

I've heard alot of stuff about donating to USARK to be able to give them the money to combat legislation, but the sad truth is he who is know better and position is better advertised has a greater advantage going into any of these type of discussions. Anyway, Rant off...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? iF THIS IS EVEN A HALF GOOD IDEA WHAT DO YOU THINK NEEDS TWEAKED?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gomojoe For This Useful Post:

babyknees (02-08-2012),minguss (02-08-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I had a similar idea, I've been trying to get some air time on the local news stations in the Central Florida area but I haven't had a huge amount of luck yet.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I had an idea for that, too.
    Idyllic family scene, with parent helping child feeding FT mouse to ball python on tongs, then going to sit and watch TV with parents.
    Knock on door--it's the cops and animal control, coming to take the pet snake away, because a ban was passed 2 months ago, and the family never knew, and someone reported them.

Harsh, but effective, no?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I'd leave any feeding out of any print/video commercials.

But honestly, unless you have the money to pay for primo spots on national stations, the commercials won't ever get seen by anyone but the 'choir'. The media is not interested in good wholesome reptile owners.

Personally, I believe the major media outlets are firmly under the thumb of PETA/HSUS. It's the only explanation I could see reasonable for why not one media outlet covered the big PETA trial where they euthanized pets in a van outside the places they picked them up, promising good homes. I mean, no one saw this on national TV. Why not? Why wouldn't this be one of the biggest scandals ever? A "animal loving" group proven to be killing the very pets they're taking to 'find good homes for', then throwing the bodies away in a dumpster behind a convienance store.... yet no one covered this?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    A couple problems with that. Number one cost. The cost to do a commercial. Number 2 the cost to put it on a national network during a time slot people are actually awake not to mention the cost to run it multiple times. Next you have a time issue. There is no way to get a point across in a 30 second commercial. 30 seconds is enough time to sell a snuggie but not enough time to spread the education on the issue at hand. The reptile community is syruggling to get 150k to have usark file a lawsuit. 150k wont even get you a time slot on primetime tv to air the commercial. The only way to get anything accomplished is to keep lobbying and blowing up the phone lines of politicians and making us be a thorn in their sides daily. Also a bit of misinformation about peta. Its not that they hate any animal. Their agenda is keeping reptiles as pets. The hsus does commercials and they have support of celeberties to give face time. They have the money to run prime time commercials we do not. They have 20x the money to fight for their cause then we do. Getting into a battle with money is a battle we will never win.
    [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    If we could get one commercial out there in a good time slot, even if it takes a few years to raise the funds, I honestly think it would be completely worth it in terms of raising awareness an support.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Plus in the mean time is that maybe USARK could get a YouTube channel and like applicable videos and then upload videos. It's surprising what quality of video normal people can put out know a days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Heres another thing to consider. With all the national coverage of what happened in ohio with the exotic animal disaster do you think your gonna pull much support from the general public. Especially for snakes? There are 2 types of people. Peiple that like snakes and people that dont. Theres no gray area and the people that dont sure outweigh the people that do. It would cost millions to do a commercial and have it air repeatedly in prime time on national networks. Just not a feasable idea. A youtube channel would be more feasable but whos gonna watch it? Snake people. We already have their support.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Re: Idea to effect good PR for the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by snake lab View Post
    Heres another thing to consider. With all the national coverage of what happened in ohio with the exotic animal disaster do you think your gonna pull much support from the general public. Especially for snakes? There are 2 types of people. Peiple that like snakes and people that dont. Theres no gray area and the people that dont sure outweigh the people that do. It would cost millions to do a commercial and have it air repeatedly in prime time on national networks. Just not a feasable idea. A youtube channel would be more feasable but whos gonna watch it? Snake people. We already have their support.
    But that's the point...Try to make some of the people who dislike snakes and reptiles at least be able to tolerate them or see our point. Aside from the funding, I think it's a great idea.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Could be very effective given a good commercial and correctly timed slot. The question is this if you come up with the cash (the last commercial I was involved with was $10000 an on air second. Say 25 second slot at 1/4 million bucks would that be better than spending the money on legal action? I don't know I think there are very valid arguments to be made for both sides. It is a lot of cash either way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (02-08-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast