Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,752

0 members and 2,752 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

BAD reptile show experience

I have been eager to go to my local reptile show all week, and when the day finally came today, I was very excited. As I walked in I instantly noticed that it was a little smaller than usual, no big deal I know that they had a show the day before further north and most exhibitors probably didn't want to do both shows.

Making my way around the show I was pleasantly surprised to see much more boas than at the last show I had attended. There were even some nice sub-adults and adults for sale. At the third table I stopped at I found some AMAZING looking Surinames boas, beautiful peaks, and truly breathtaking color. I start talking to the gentleman at the table and noticed the price...$125...un-heard-of for that quality of Suriname. So I ask to hold one of the best looking one there (there were 4 in the same box, and the best looking one was by far the biggest). As he takes her out and hands her to me, I instantly notice two things. Number 1, her head is WAY to big for how small she is, number two, although see appears to have good structure (like a loaf of bread) when I held her she felt like mush. Therefor I was instantly on guard. I started talking to the man there, asking my usual questions regarding the snake, but he would not tell me where she came from. The first response I got when I asked if he knew where she came from was "yea". So I ended up asking who she came from, and his response was "a friend of mine". That got me thinking...

As she frantically tried to get away from me I could her her "popping" as she breathed. Not a big deal to me, since a lot of boas can get a "popping" or "wheezing" sound when they move a lot. But this one was different. I could feel it "rattling" inside of her.

Putting everything together, insane price, big head, small body, mushy feeling, "popping" it became pretty evident to me that I was holding a sick snake. By that time I had gotten her to calm down enough to inspect her face/mouth, and noticed bubbles...lots of them...like she was drooling coming from the left side of her mouth, as well as her now breathing with her mouth open! I instantly gave her back and walked away in desperate search of some hand sanitizer.

After that experience (and a couple rounds of hand sanitizer) I continued walking around the show. One of the last tables I went to had a lot of spiders on it. I have never owned one, but have given it some thought so I stepped in for a closer look. I found an adult (I messed up and didn't write its name down) that was stunning..but not for sale, however there was a baby of the same thing above it for sale! At that point I was super excited and stared looking for the owner to talk about husbandry and purchasing the new pet.

As I look up to find the guy behind the table (he was helping out some other people) I realize that he was the guy who sold me my first two ball pythons...ball pythons that he sold to me as morphs, that were not (see this thread http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-my-new-python ). So I waited around for him to finish up with his current customer, not sure of what I would say to him. I stood there for a minute or so, and decided that it just wasn't worth it, and that I did not want to make a scene, so I walked away.

In all I didn't have a great time at the show, but at least it gave me something to do for a couple of hours (long drive up there). Hopefully the next one will be better!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    That's terrible, I would have given both guys hell
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: BAD reptile show experience

I will say this... Thank you for not buying the Boa...

Snakes that have RI's at shows are the plauge... I got a PB Pastel for $100 who had one and $2,000 later (for him alone, another $1,000 for the two he got sick) he's getting better...but there is no sure sign...

My first show visit was a let down.... My burmese died 3 days later from internal problems. That still hurts...

My pastel.. Well I told you..lol..

And my glass cage cracked...

I'll be a "mean" reviewer here.. You should have called out the RI.. I'm sorry but people should not buy ANY snake if it has a ri... That's just my personal belief.. I know you can't be sure all the time.. And some times it will happen, but I HATE... when sellers knowingly sell sick snakes..

You did do good walking away from the other guy.. It sucks yes.. BUT why bring up drama when you like the snakes? Now if you paid like $200 or more i'd understand......lol
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    That's terrible, I would have given both guys hell
    8 months is a while to bring up Drama... Though I'll be honest.. I would have, even if I did say he did a good job for not doing it.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    You wouldn't happen to know/remember either guys name or business, would you ???
    Conflicted & Constricted !!!!

1.0 - '10 Ghana Ball Python (Dastan)
    1.0 - '12 Ghana Ball Python (Nore)
    1.0 - '11 Hypo-Nicaraguan Boa (Nico)
    0.1 - '12 Hypo-Colombian Boa (Colombiana)
    0.1 - '11 C.A. Boa Het Albino (Esco)
    0.0.1 - '11 Biak Green Tree Python (Gambit)

Spiders:
    0.0.1 '11 Pink Toe Tarantula (Rosie)
    1.0. '10 Rose Hair Tarantula (Red)

Lizards:
    0.1 Moroccan Uromastyx (Kenya)

Dog:
    1.0 - '10 American Pit Bull Terrier (Magic)

Wish List:
    0.1 Pinstripe, Spider, or Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Green Tree Pythons
    0.1 Hypo-Nicaraguan Boa
    1.0 Moroccan Uromastyx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    I will say this... Thank you for not buying the Boa...

Snakes that have RI's at shows are the plauge... I got a PB Pastel for $100 who had one and $2,000 later (for him alone, another $1,000 for the two he got sick) he's getting better...but there is no sure sign...

My first show visit was a let down.... My burmese died 3 days later from internal problems. That still hurts...

My pastel.. Well I told you..lol..

And my glass cage cracked...

I'll be a "mean" reviewer here.. You should have called out the RI.. I'm sorry but people should not buy ANY snake if it has a ri... That's just my personal belief.. I know you can't be sure all the time.. And some times it will happen, but I HATE... when sellers knowingly sell sick snakes..

You did do good walking away from the other guy.. It sucks yes.. BUT why bring up drama when you like the snakes? Now if you paid like $200 or more i'd understand......lol
    I am new to the hobby and had no idea who the first guy was (no company name/business cards) the last thing I want to do is to start making enemies before I even produce my first clutch!! Especially if they pass this law and make it so you can only sell in your state!!

I have already made a very well connected young local breeder mad when I called him out when he told me that breeding hets to normals gave you what they were het for (like a 66% het albino x normal would give you 66% of the babies being albino... of course this was before I realized he sold me two snakes with mites...)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know/remember either guys name or business, would you ???
    I didn't get either of their names. I really wish I had though. I will defiantly be back at another show and I am sure that they will both be there (at least the one who ripped me on the balls...he told me when we first me that he goes to everyone of those shows) Neither of them had company names or cards that I could see.

The worst part is that the guy who scammed me on the balls I NEVER got to say anything to him b/c I lost his number/card. So I understand bringing up 8 month old drama but he never knew that I found out he was a lair!
    Last edited by BigJ; 02-06-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    I am new to the hobby and had no idea who the first guy was (no company name/business cards) the last thing I want to do is to start making enemies before I even produce my first clutch!! Especially if they pass this law and make it so you can only sell in your state!!

I have already made a very well connected young local breeder mad when I called him out when he told me that breeding hets to normals gave you what they were het for (like a 66% het albino x normal would give you 66% of the babies being albino... of course this was before I realized he sold me two snakes with mites...)

I didn't get either of their names. I really wish I had though. I will defiantly be back at another show and I am sure that they will both be there (at least the one who ripped me on the balls...he told me when we first me that he goes to everyone of those shows) Neither of them had company names or cards that I could see.

The worst part is that the guy who scammed me on the balls I NEVER got to say anything to him b/c I lost his number/card. So I understand bringing up 8 month old drama but he never knew that I found out he was a lair!
    You know... If the show isn't that far away you could always test him...THEN when he lies call him out.. I did that at Tinley when the guy messed up calling his RTB another boa.. The guy just laughed and agreed. THOSE are some fun people to have as "aquatints" But with this guy...test him and call him out...act stupid...