Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Precisely how big are medium rats?

Sorry if this should be in the Feeders forum. I posted it here cuz it's mainly me trying to get an idea of whether or not my bp can take a medium rat yet.

Anyhoo...I recently bought a 6 month supply of "small rats" from canadianfeeders.com and wasn't too impressed. The rats I received were small dinky things. I think small rats are usually 60-80 grams or so, and these things are all around 30-40 grams...the biggest one being a whole 55 grams. So needless to say, that 6 month supply has turned into a 3 month supply(gotta do 2 rats a feeding) Anyway, I'm looking to get some more frozen rats from another source, but I was wondering if my bp is large enough to handle medium rats now. She's gotten pretty big over the last few months, averaging 3-4 inches a month in length, and as for girth she's 5 1/2-6 inches in circumference. Not sure on her weight, as I only have an old 500 gram scale, and she's too heavy for that thing(including the 120 gram rubbermaid dish I put her in for it...its well over 500 grams when I weigh her with it), but I'm estimating around 500 grams atleast. She's also 32 inches as of last week.
    So anyway, I was on rodentpro.com looking at the rats to try and figure out if my bp could take a medium rat. They give the measurements and weight and all, but their comparison isn't exactly working for me, lol. They use american money, and I only have canadian money to compare with. I think our bills are different sizes compared to american, so yeah.

Anyway I guess my question is....can anyone post their opinions on whether or not they think a 10 month old bp thats 32 inch long, 5 1/2-6 inches around, and around 500+ grams can take a medium rat? I'm planning on ordering a few to try, but figured why waste money if it's something my bp can't handle yet. Even proper sized small rats seem small to her(when I got the odd one from pet shops).

Thanks, and sorry for my usual rambling. I'm sure people dread when I post threads.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    i would have to say no. my male BP who is around there could barely take a small
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Hmmm....could someone maybe even post the length and width(or height...however you look at it) of an american bill? That way I can get a good idea of the size that rats are.

I'm sure she'd be able to take one down...but I'm thinking it'd leave a pretty huge lump in here. No need to overfeed, lol. I might just change my rat order..

Edit: Nevermind...I found it online. Apparently it's 6.14 inches long and 2.61 inches tall. Interesting.

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?
    Last edited by Cody; 03-30-2005 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    go to www.rodentpro.com click on products. That is their sizing criterion, which I think is great. But every seller is different. It will give you an idea cause they do have bunches of pics for each size and they give the approximate weight of each size. Hope this helps. I know this would be alot easier than having us take the pics and posting them.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    nellie is about 31 inches long and about 600 grams and i would definitely not offer her a medium rat (i order from rodent pro). i actually ordered a few from them because i thought that she would grow into them by the time i finished the small rats i ordered, but they are still way to big. they are almost twice the size of the small rats. perhaps small where you ordered from is smaller than average. if you still need pics i can take some tonight.
    - Emily

Banned
    Thanks
    my girl is around 35 inches(give or take an inch) and 7 inches in circumfrence and i just discovered ive been given her medium rats that are around 7 inches in length and she takes them down quite nicely!

Thanks
    My 04 boy can take mediums without a problem. He was getting a bit chubby so I moved him back down to smalls...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    go to www.rodentpro.com click on products. That is their sizing criterion, which I think is great. But every seller is different. It will give you an idea cause they do have bunches of pics for each size and they give the approximate weight of each size. Hope this helps. I know this would be alot easier than having us take the pics and posting them.
    lol, That's what I was talking about in my post. I always go to rodentpro.com for my rodent comparisons but the american money is(I think) a different size than my canadian money I have to compare with, so that's why I was wondering if anyone could let me know if they think my bp could handle a medium rat.

I'll stick to my gut instinct, and listen to what you guys are saying, and stick with small rats for now. I'll try the other source though. Maybe their small rats will be of appropriate size. They say on their site that they're around 60-90 grams, so we'll see if I get ripped off again. If I do, I dunno what I'm gonna do then, lol. I'm running out of sources.

You guys and gals could still help me if you want though, and measure the circumference of a medium rat at it's thickest point and post the measurements. That'd definitely help me out to let me know how big Pelota should be before considering mediums.

Thanks
    Cody, a US dollar is 6.14 inches long by 2.61 inches wide, if that helps.

(Yes, I Googled it. I'm not THAT full of usless info. )
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    Canadian money is about the same. They fit pretty much the same in my wallet.
    1.0 Ball Python - Olie (1.6 years, 34", 805g.)
    1.0 German Shepherd - Ozcar (4 years, tub o' goo)
    0.2 Degus - Miss Piggy and Tweek

"What do you mean, 'I ain't kind'? Just not your kind."