Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

1 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: How many probes would you want on a thermometer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll

2 6.90%

20 68.97%

6 20.69%
  • 8 or more (please specify by posting below)

1 3.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Do You Want a Better Thermometer?

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I think better mean no cheap resistive sensor and something like a PRT platinum tip. It could be smaller then too... platinum is 1600 an oz it will drive the price impossibly high.

I think if the sensor reports directly to a chip at the probe you can get better the chip than reports the probes findings to the board.

I would be happy with 1º hell even more 1.5º off if it reported online. You might give though to teaming up with Dion and piggy back on existing probes (as much as I want a different shape) it would be simpler. Perhaps probes before the rubber sheath is cast? Just thinking.
    I was thinking about the Spyder Robotics probes, I have a spare one that I might be willing to sacrifice for the greater good to see exactly how it works.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I think better mean no cheap resistive sensor and something like a PRT platinum tip. It could be smaller then too... platinum is 1600 an oz it will drive the price impossibly high.

I think if the sensor reports directly to a chip at the probe you can get better the chip than reports the probes findings to the board.

I would be happy with 1º hell even more 1.5º off if it reported online. You might give though to teaming up with Dion and piggy back on existing probes (as much as I want a different shape) it would be simpler. Perhaps probes before the rubber sheath is cast? Just thinking.
    You don't want to use Plantium 190? Or is that a little out of your price range

Sorry. I couldn't resist...lol

OP.. Honestly, if you could give me a good one that is accurate with 4 probes 2 for humidity and two for temp, that would be a perfect LOW end one.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    I figure that I will probably figure out a basic method of measuring and displaying temperatures, then build each one custom. This isn't about money or anything, I'm going to sell these things as close to cost as I can (that is if I can get a decent product at all of course)
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 02-04-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I figure that I will probably figure out a basic method of measuring and displaying temperatures, then build each one custom. This isn't about money or anything, I'm going to sell these things as close to cost as I can (that is if I can get a decent product at all of course)
    You have a good idea, I won't lie. If I had the expertise I'd do the same. The $15 probe i use from Acu-Rite only measures humidity on one side, The problem is, I can't find one like you're describing without paying for it with my Right Lung.

Of you can get this going I'd buy one most likely..
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    You have a good idea, I won't lie. If I had the expertise I'd do the same. The $15 probe i use from Acu-Rite only measures humidity on one side, The problem is, I can't find one like you're describing without paying for it with my Right Lung.

Of you can get this going I'd buy one most likely..
    That's what I figured, this all started because I wanted a better thermometer, and I know that a lot of other people do too. I love designing and building circuitry so its a win win
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    195 is fine...

I am not sure about the thermal resistors myself it is not fully my field I use them not build them. My understanding is the carbon pad types and copper wound ones are just never going to be contestant enough to break that 0.7º accuracy barrier. If you want better the metal needs to change platinum is the best choice. There are thermal couplers that might be almost as good but not likely cheaper.

Just out of interest I priced the replacement wand off my PRT, 45$ figure wholesale is 5$ maybe that puts probe prices in the 30-60 each range. Too much cash.

Personally as much as it pains me to say it staying with 1º is likely the only reasonable way. I will not start on accurite thermometers lets just say that I did not find them to be even in the ball park for accuracy. The only good thing was the return was easy they just the ones that were outside the specs... (greater than 2ºF high)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had a thought last night before I fell asleep.

Someone mentioned wireless, and I got to thinking. It lends to great marketing possibilities a different approach. Tanking the base unit and having it with a wireless radio system to a probe unit. The probe unit could have 2 or 4 attached probes and wirelessly send them to a central display unit. The probe unit could be placed in a different room perhaps multiple enclosures in different areas. If the display end could be located in a different location perhaps directly connected to a computer? perhaps it needs only pass information to software that then displays and tracks temps so the unit is just a data logger that stores on a computer? It would cut production cost, allows some expansion say 9 channels one for each probe unit and have the base check one at a time for a few seconds and then move to the next one one sample per min per probe set should be enough. If you have 2 and 4 groups of probes sold separately as a collection grew additional probe units could be added.

The range stumped me for a bit but if each probe unit also acted as a repeater there should be no problem with signal.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-04-2012),The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I like the way your talking kite demon
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (02-04-2012),The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    I know it can be done the question is can it be affordable?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One thing detachable and replaceable probes if they aren't wireless! I would love that in a thermometer.

An alarm for temp changes, via siren, or email.
    A beep for humidity drops, to tell me to go and mist with at least 2 settings so I can tell it that its in shed and if it drops below 60% during that time it alarms instead of normally 50%

flat probes, with the possibility to have the screw hole like Acu-rites? I really like having mine screwed down into the cage bottom, where it cant be moved so I don't have to worry about him moving it to the opposite side of the cage.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jdouglas For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast