Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

2 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: How many probes would you want on a thermometer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll

2 6.90%

20 68.97%

6 20.69%
  • 8 or more (please specify by posting below)

1 3.45%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I would like a thermometer that sticks to the sides of the tub and shoots out a red laser that sweeps from front to back and wirelessly(sp) reports the temperatures hourly to my android.
    Maybe a deluxe model that shoots a blue laser out across the tub and reports the humidity.
    There just has to be an app for that
    Jerry Robertson

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (02-03-2012),The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012),zeion97 (02-04-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Do You Want a Better Thermometer?

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    I would like a thermometer that sticks to the sides of the tub and shoots out a red laser that sweeps from front to back and wirelessly(sp) reports the temperatures hourly to my android.
    Maybe a deluxe model that shoots a blue laser out across the tub and reports the humidity.
    There just has to be an app for that
    Not sure about the laser thing lol but a mobile check-in could be added in
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I like the app idea! They have an app to start your car so a temp report sent to ur phone is deffinetly doable lol...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I guess that'll teach me to be a smarty pants

I use a temp gun way more than a probed thermometer, BUT...

For incubation purposes I can see a more accurate thermometer being very handy, all of the cheap ones are junk when it comes to being really accurate.
    I use multiple thermometers in my incubator and constantly have to double check with the temp gun.

An alarm feature going to your phone app would be nice
    I agree with the wireless comment, I wouldn't want 4 or 6 or 8 probes or whatever running all over the place.

I guess I can do without the laser part, lol
    Jerry Robertson

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Never use thermometers...All you need is one Temp gun...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (02-04-2012),The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    I appreciate the comments, but this thread isn't a debate wether temp guns are better or not lol.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I would like to see an 8 probe unit. To me the accuracy needs to be at least +/- 1ºF I'd like to see 0.5º but the additional cost of that .5 is likely to place the unit over the top expense wise.

I have a major beef with all the current thermometers and for that matter t-stats on the market The probe shape. I get the ease of casting and sensor but I think a oblong or flat probe would be better than a round one.

I think that a 'dream' unit would have high low tracking daily and over all high low. The highest and lowest temp recorded today and the highest and lowest recorded between user resets. I would also like to see a differential alarm added. If the temp rises or lowers to fast an alarm is tripped. IE if the thermometer notes a faster than 1º per min change from the previous one an alarm is tripped.

Since I am dreaming still a web interface that allows the values to be checked via a java or similar universal web interface. The ability to send email or text messages if the thermometer is beyond a given range per probe would be a great addition too.

Dream big right?

can you do that for 50$...

Ok I would be willing to pay 200$ for such a best even 1º accuracy and the ability to check the temps remotely via internet would be enough. 300$ maybe hard to say but at that I think it is a hard sell. i might pay more myself but I think those that would are few and far between.

FYI IR guns are no more accurate than the cheap thermometers few are rated for better than +/-2ºF.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (02-04-2012),The Serpent Merchant (02-12-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I would like to see an 8 probe unit. To me the accuracy needs to be at least +/- 1ºF I'd like to see 0.5º but the additional cost of that .5 is likely to place the unit over the top expense wise.

I have a major beef with all the current thermometers and for that matter t-stats on the market The probe shape. I get the ease of casting and sensor but I think a oblong or flat probe would be better than a round one.

I think that a 'dream' unit would have high low tracking daily and over all high low. The highest and lowest temp recorded today and the highest and lowest recorded between user resets. I would also like to see a differential alarm added. If the temp rises or lowers to fast an alarm is tripped. IE if the thermometer notes a faster than 1º per min change from the previous one an alarm is tripped.

Since I am dreaming still a web interface that allows the values to be checked via a java or similar universal web interface. The ability to send email or text messages if the thermometer is beyond a given range per probe would be a great addition too.

Dream big right?

can you do that for 50$...

Ok I would be willing to pay 200$ for such a best even 1º accuracy and the ability to check the temps remotely via internet would be enough. 300$ maybe hard to say but at that I think it is a hard sell. i might pay more myself but I think those that would are few and far between.

FYI IR guns are no more accurate than the cheap thermometers few are rated for better than +/-2ºF.
    I've been waiting for you to post here, I think that I will have to have you help me test these things once I get to that point. I agree on the probe shape. I have been looking at chip based sensors that would be better in a flat probe package anyway as they seem to be more cost effective. +/- 1 has been my goal, but I would like to do better if I can.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I think better mean no cheap resistive sensor and something like a PRT platinum tip. It could be smaller then too... platinum is 1600 an oz it will drive the price impossibly high.

I think if the sensor reports directly to a chip at the probe you can get better the chip than reports the probes findings to the board.

I would be happy with 1º hell even more 1.5º off if it reported online. You might give though to teaming up with Dion and piggy back on existing probes (as much as I want a different shape) it would be simpler. Perhaps probes before the rubber sheath is cast? Just thinking.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think better mean no cheap resistive sensor and something like a PRT platinum tip. It could be smaller then too... platinum is 1600 an oz it will drive the price impossibly high.

I think if the sensor reports directly to a chip at the probe you can get better the chip than reports the probes findings to the board.

I would be happy with 1º hell even more 1.5º off if it reported online. You might give though to teaming up with Dion and piggy back on existing probes (as much as I want a different shape) it would be simpler. Perhaps probes before the rubber sheath is cast? Just thinking.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast