Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Went shopping for a Boa, came home with a Beardie.

Thanks for the advice. So you would recommend modifying the 40L instead of buying a new cage? Right now my baby bp is in that cage but I understand it is too large for her. I was going to transfer her into a 20L and put Lex in the 40L but it will have to be modified which will cost a few dollars.

Okay, next thing. This morning a placed about 6 baby crickets (coated with vitimins) into the cage. While I was preparing them Lex came charging down the branch and threw his body against the glass in excitement. lol When I put the crickets in his cage he took off after one but didn't eat it, instead he charged back up the tree. It's now several hours later and I only see one cricket but they could be hiding in there. Is this a normal BD behavior? Should I search the cage for hidden crickets?
    "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    40l is perfect. Make sure you adjust the heat and UV accordingly since its not very tall.

Beardies are funny, they will not over eat and I've caught mine flying across the cage for no reason.

I have not seen it, but somewhere out there in internet myths and legends someone said that crickets can hurt your dragon while he sleeps and that's why i like dubias.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enchantress62 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So you would recommend modifying the 40L instead of buying a new cage? Right now my baby bp is in that cage but I understand it is too large for her. I was going to transfer her into a 20L and put Lex in the 40L but it will have to be modified which will cost a few dollars.

Okay, next thing. This morning a placed about 6 baby crickets (coated with vitimins) into the cage. While I was preparing them Lex came charging down the branch and threw his body against the glass in excitement. lol When I put the crickets in his cage he took off after one but didn't eat it, instead he charged back up the tree. It's now several hours later and I only see one cricket but they could be hiding in there. Is this a normal BD behavior? Should I search the cage for hidden crickets?
    From what I have been told, it is ok to keep a baby bear die in a 40 gallon tank... but I can't say for sure since I don't have any first hand experience.

I've been feeding mine in a separate small plastic cage so the crickets can't hide.

I'm using one of these: (random picture from google)

~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

I'm using one of these: (random picture from google)

[IMG]http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/2d/c7/7706_35.JPG
    That's a great idea and I have one of those that I haven't been using. I hate the idea of crickets living and breading in his cage. Fact is I hate crickets period. They remind me of roaches and that grosses me out. I am definitely looking for alternatives and will check out the foods being suggested.
    "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rperry03 View Post
    I have not seen it, but somewhere out there in internet myths and legends someone said that crickets can hurt your dragon while he sleeps and that's why i like dubias.
    It's no myth. You can often see the bite marks on pictures of baby beardies for sale. It looks like a small off-colored dark spot. It's really noticeable on the head. I am not sure if dubias do or not, but it's a good rule to remove any live food that isn't confined (like worms in a bowl).

Thanks
    Good to know. I'll go search the cage for left overs. So I looked up the dubias and I don't know, I am almost phobic about roaches. I want to do what's right for Lex but the idea of roaches getting loose in the house just about sends me into a panic. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Crickets and dubias are the best food for baby dragons. You can supplement with other types as they get older but those are the best primary insects. Crickets are fine if you can't handle dubias.

If your willing to try dubias though, they do look very different from the American pest roach, I believe its called the German Roach. Dubias are tropical and look like beetles, in fact I actually call them tropical beetles instead of roaches to not freak out friends and family. Depending upon how cold your house is, they will most likely not be able to survive if escaped and will definitely not be able to breed so you have no worries about an infestation.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    Crickets and dubias are the best food for baby dragons. You can supplement with other types as they get older but those are the best primary insects. Crickets are fine if you can't handle dubias.

If your willing to try dubias though, they do look very different from the American pest roach, I believe its called the German Roach. Dubias are tropical and look like beetles, in fact I actually call them tropical beetles instead of roaches to not freak out friends and family. Depending upon how cold your house is, they will most likely not be able to survive if escaped and will definitely not be able to breed so you have no worries about an infestation.
    So which would you say is better? I'm probably going to set up a small breeding colony. Which is easier to breed? and which is better for my beardie? (if there is any difference at all)
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    So which would you say is better? I'm probably going to set up a small breeding colony. Which is easier to breed? and which is better for my beardie? (if there is any difference at all)
    Dubias, hands down! They are more nutritional than crickets and much, much easier to breed. They also don't smell and don't chirp.

I will say that I prefer crickets for newly hatched babies and on up to about 4-6 weeks old. I think that they are a little easier to digest and the jumping stimulates a feeding reaction better than the dubias scuttling. Once they hit the 6 week mark though, they do just fine on dubias as the primary.

Thanks

Which is easier to breed? and which is better for my beardie? (if there is any difference at all)
    Dido on this subject. I'll get over my fears if the bubia's are definitely what I should be feeding but since I just bought 100 crickets he'll have to eat them for now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast