Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

3 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: price dropping

Thanks

Re: price dropping

Quote Originally Posted by CapeFearConstrictors View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.

One person's price does not dictate the market.

Who cares what one breeder sells their pieds for? It only becomes a problem if other people start setting their prices that low too. This person is only hurting themself. It only hurts everyone else if everyone else lowers their price to match.
    one persons,,, no,,, but 2, then 3 then 8 and so on... its called trend setting.
    spooky

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    one persons,,, no,,, but 2, then 3 then 8 and so on... its called trend setting.
    spooky
    Not trend setting, that's hair styles and clothing options. It's market value. If it really bugs you, perhaps snake selling isn't for you. There is an entire site whose main focus is this very topic, you may want to check them boys out.

When I first started breeding calkings heavily in the early 90s I could get 150.00 for my more unusual ones. Now, I'm lucky if I can get 20.00 to 40.00 for them. If I didn't like them so much I wouldn't work with them at all. It's the nature of the business. Can't blame the other guy, that's free enterprise at work.

I often wonder why hobbyist breeders get so bent by this. After all, NONE of them breed for the money. Do they?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Emilio (02-01-2012),Mft62485 (01-30-2012),rjk890 (01-30-2012),snakesRkewl (01-27-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    I anticipate the price of med-high white Pied will settle that of Albinos (350-500) depending on quality by the end of this year. Too may folks making Pieds to maintain a high price. It is a simple recessive morph so while harder to make than a co-dom, it is still being pumped out pretty regularly.

The value of Pied combos is where it will be for next few years. Basically if you are planning to rake it in on Pieds without another gene or 2 thrown in, you are behind the market.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

ktint (01-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Not trend setting, that's hair styles and clothing options. It's market value. If it really bugs you, perhaps snake selling isn't for you. There is an entire site whose main focus is this very topic, you may want to check them boys out.

When I first started breeding calkings heavily in the early 90s I could get 150.00 for my more unusual ones. Now, I'm lucky if I can get 20.00 to 40.00 for them. If I didn't like them so much I wouldn't work with them at all. It's the nature of the business. Can't blame the other guy, that's free enterprise at work.

I often wonder why hobbyist breeders get so bent by this. After all, NONE of them breed for the money. Do they?
    and market value is set by trends... it doesent really bug me,, it is what it is. i was just making an observation/rant. and no, I persionally dont breed for the money, because if i did, id need to find another hobby. there is no real money to be made here (for the hobby breeder) because after you finally get a leg up by puting an investment in a snake,, some body shoots your other foot out from under you buy hacking prices to make a few quick bucks.
    spooky

Thanks
    $550-650 is still pretty good money...to me anyways lol. Even if you bought two pieds for $1,000 each, you would more than likely make your money back in the first clutch. Thats one reason I got a het. albino and albino, because their prices have steadied off and are very consistent so I SHOULD be safe when they are ready to breed.
    Last edited by pigfat; 01-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks
    its good money to me too.... i was just making a coment on how fast the value of these morphs drops.... that makes me wander why they are priced so high in the beginning,,, are they really worth the high price when we all know that in 2 years there gonna be worth half the price.
    just some random thoughts
    spooky

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Double gene animals are the new single gene.
    I agree with you though. I don't like how animals drop in value due to lowballers. Albinos are a great example. They were what pieds are worth a few years ago and now they're $350-$500.
    It happens with every morph. And as everyone else has said, supply, demand, and a mix of rarity will determine the prices of an animal.
    Last edited by satomi325; 01-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CapeFearConstrictors View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.

One person's price does not dictate the market.

Who cares what one breeder sells their pieds for? It only becomes a problem if other people start setting their prices that low too. This person is only hurting themself. It only hurts everyone else if everyone else lowers their price to match.
    This is my exact feelings on the subject as well. Well put sir.

Thanks
    Everywere else I have looked, pieds are still at their normal price....Maybe the guy was just feeling generous lol. I don't get why people would buy a pied (or any bp morph) for $1,000....but then again if I have something rare and people are willing to buy it at that price, why not start selling them at that price? Its kinda the same theory as selling a car, you can always come down on the price, but you can't ever go up. As much as we are in it for the love of the hobby, a lot of people out there are mainly in it for the money, and set those high prices becaues people will pay them. And if I had some morph that people were no longer willing to pay that premium price...its time to come down to where they will buy. De-valuing is a buyers market and a really sucky one for those who have invested so much originally into the morphs.
    Last edited by pigfat; 01-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks
    Anything and everything is only worth what someone will pay for it. Just because you want to get $1000.00 + for a pied or what ever morph it is doesn't mean people will pay that for it. So you have two options at that point keep it, feed it, house it until someone decides its worth your price or sell it for what someone is willing to pay now. You could always buy up all the one's that are too cheap in your opinion and try to resell at higher prices but I don't think that will work out for you. It also doesn't help that most people buying them plan to breed them and flood the market even more.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast