Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,225

1 members and 2,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is it ok to feed a 1 year old 530 gram ball a small rat every two weeks?!!?

Just wondering bc I hear feeding too big before there not ready shortens there life? The small rats usualy leave a bulge on the bottom of her belly as well as on her sides. This week she has already pooped out her meal. Before it took till the 2nd week.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    No, they should be fed an appropriate sized meal every 7 days. No need to wait for defecation before feeding either, most of mine only go to the bathroom after they shed. Leaving a bulge is fine, if it lasts longer than 2 days or so then just decrease the size of the rat and be sure the temps are all correct for proper digestion.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Ballgirl454 (01-25-2012),PitOnTheProwl (01-25-2012),The Serpent Merchant (01-22-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Is it ok to feed a 1 year old 530 gram ball a small rat every two weeks?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    No, they should be fed an appropriate sized meal every 7 days. No need to wait for defecation before feeding either, most of mine only go to the bathroom after they shed. Leaving a bulge is fine, if it lasts longer than 2 days or so then just decrease the size of the rat and be sure the temps are all correct for proper digestion.
    x2
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Sure is ...Their not eating once a week in the wild,they might go weeks with out a meal..so feed every 2 weeks if u want..
    1.0 Albino
    0.1 Spied
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Blue eyed lucy
    1.0 pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marc from CT View Post
    Sure is ...Their not eating once a week in the wild,they might go weeks with out a meal..so feed every 2 weeks if u want..
    Ball Pythons also live much shorter lives in the wild. Not that I'm saying that this is the cause, but it is commonly accepted that ball Pythons should be fed every 7 days at 1 year of age.
    ~Aaron

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

abrunsen (01-25-2012),Ballgirl454 (01-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Ball Pythons also live much shorter lives in the wild.
    All animals live considerably shorter lives in the wild....living in the wild is the direct cause of that. I don't see any reason why feeding every other week would be bad for a ball python. There is no factual backing that says a bi-weekly feeding schedule is detrimental to the life span of a ball python.

I think we rely far too heavily on recommendations and guidelines set forth by care sheets and forums rather than knowing what animals actual need to survive successfully in captivity, and learning from our own experience with our animals. The guidelines for keeping ball pythons fall within the same general range, but every snake is different.

As humans, it is also our nature to want to see our pets eat. We feel better when they feed more regularly. Feeding on a weekly schedule is absolutely fine, but I don't feel it's absolutely necessary.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    I Even said that I didn't think that this was why they lived shorter in the wild, nor did I say that it would be harmful. From my experience I have found that my young ball pythons are hungry every 4 days, and by the time they are around 500-600 grams they are hungry every 8 days. A 1 year old ball python is still growing and will need more food than an adult is so I think that feeding every 2 weeks isn't enough. All of mine fully digest their meals in 2-3 days and are growing nicely. Once again I will say feeding every other week probably won't be detrimental but I think that a young ball python can and should be fed more often than that.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

While most snakes will eat every 7 days and babies will eat every 3 or 4 it is not not necessarily needed. Every 10-14 days is perfectly fine and even recommended by some. And really adults can go a long time with out food. You should always offer, but just remember how many people ask about there snake being off feed for months.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I think this all arose because overfeeding baby boas results in serious health problems, and severely shortened lifespan.

Pythons are not boas, however, and they are 'designed' to grow as quickly as food supply permits, or virtually so. Balls up to age one can eat every 4 or 5 days, and that is a full sized meal--as big around as their widest point. After age one, it's every 5 to 7 days, depending on what the snake will accept, and yes, a 500 gram snake can generally take hopper to small sized rats.

If you want your ball python to grow more slowly, and perhaps reach a smaller adult size, then you can feed him every 14 days without adversely affecting his health, but I would not feed less often than that, nor feed smaller meals than you suggested.

Baby ball pythons are only at risk of developing health issues if they are 'powerfed' by tricking them into consuming more food than they would choose to consume on their own (such as introducing a second rat's nose into their mouth as they're swallowing the tail of the first one, or tying two together with a dissolving string---lest you think that ridiculous, we know that this causes health problems because people DID it).
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (05-12-2013),The Serpent Merchant (01-22-2012)

Thanks
    So should I feed large mouse or a small rat once a week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast