Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

4 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Where to get Antivenom

At this point I'm not 100% sure If I wanna have my own anivenom or not. I just wanted a little more info. I've been told that Zoo's are reluctant to provide antivenom so I shouldn't count on them in the event of a bite.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Most hospitals readily have antivenon for native snakes and your local zoo has antivenon for exotics that they display. Maybe this will help you.

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk
    Really? My understanding is the exact opposite. I know that most hospitals out here do not have it on hand.

Perhaps you could share your source for your statement.

I don' t kmow why I even bother. There are so many self proclaimed know it alls on here!!!

Implying that you know more than they do? Interesting. Keep any hots yourself of just puffing your chest?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (01-22-2012)

Thanks
    I know for a fact that my local hospital stocks Crotalinae antivenin because my mom is an RN there and rattlesnake bites are not uncommon throughout the U.S. My mom has seen some crazy bites. A rattlesnake bite is survived 99.98% of the time, but you will have scars to prove it, hemotoxins are not pretty. I actually did a persuasive speech last semester on the terribleness of Rattlesnake Roundups and what I learned is that antivenin for North American pit vipers is extremely expensive, and while it is not in endless supply, there is enough available to save your life if you have an unfortunate hiking accident. But that is treatment for native species only, there is no way you will get black mamba antivenin in the majority of U.S hospitals.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Hubbard For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (01-22-2012)

Thanks
    From my original post, I have first hand knowledge hospitals with antivenon on hand. I also have first hand knowledge of the Atlanta Zoo carrying antivenon for the snakes they display. I was submitting to the OP that this might help them locate some in their area, and I got blasted for it!!! Furthermore, I respond to venomous snake calls for 2 counties 911 and am a medic. I wasnt trying to pick a fight, just trying to offer the OP some starting point

Jeff Davis
    Facebook -yes
    1.0 Normal BP (Rescue, caught)
    1.0 Albino BP (high contrast)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

From my original post, I have first hand knowledge hospitals with antivenon on hand. I also have first hand knowledge of the Atlanta Zoo carrying antivenon for the snakes they display. I was submitting to the OP that this might help them locate some in their area, and I got blasted for it!!! Furthermore, I respond to venomous snake calls for 2 counties 911 and am a medic. I wasnt trying to pick a fight, just trying to offer the OP some starting point

Jeff:

I would submit that you don't give just anyone the keys to the gun cabinet.

In the middle of rattlesnake country, my uncle found out the hard way that many if the hospitals do not stock antivenin, or at least do so seasonally.

He also found put that an area zoo was very reluctant to part with their stock. When they did, they agreed to part with 10 vials and he needed another 4 - which had to be flown in from a hospital in San Diego.

There is a good reason why nobody is giving the OP the info he wants. First, some antivenins for exotic species are not FDA approved and you need permits to legally purchase it. Second, you can fudge knowledge along the way with many species of snakes and in the end it's only the snake who suffers. With hots, you put yourself in a world of hurt.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
    At this point I'm not 100% sure If I wanna have my own anivenom or not. I just wanted a little more info. I've been told that Zoo's are reluctant to provide antivenom so I shouldn't count on them in the event of a bite.
    I would not count on a zoo or a hospital to save your life.

What they have today, they may not have next year. Even if they do, the last thing you need is some doctor trying contact a zoo after hours and wheedle antivenin while you are in mortal agony - or worse.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I know that SOME hot keepers do stock antivenin for the exotic species they keep. However, I'm not in contact with any of them currently, so I can't just ask them where they get it or what procedure they use for shelf life.

I do know that Cro-fab(rattlesnake antivenin) can take several vials to treat a bite, so it can get pricy in a hurry. If the antivenin has a shelf life, you'd be buying very pricy stuff that you might need to toss out unused(hopefully!) and buy all new again every year or however long.

The venom lab down south of me produces venom, but I don't think they produce the actual antivenin themselves. You could contact them and explain what you need to know and see what advice they could give you. They seemed like super nice folks when I was there.

http://www.medtoxin.com/

As far as someone saying it's bad juju to buy antivenin, that's ridiculous. You're planning for if the worst happens. It's like saying you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because it might cause you to have an accident. I would consider it to be a responsible thing to do, since if you've gotten your antivenin available WHEN/IF you do get a bite, you're not putting the local hospitals in the position of trying to find the right antivenin on short notice.

However, you might check with the local hospitals too, to make certain they can/will administer antivenin that they did not bring in themselves. They might not be able to give you 'outside meds' because of liability.

I applaud you for doing your fact-checking and pre-planning BEFORE you have a hot and before you have an issue of any sort. Whether you end up with hots, decide to have antivenin on hand, etc, it's never bad to research ahead of time.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

JeffD (01-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    BTW,, what hots are you talking about?
    spooky
    just quoting myself..... to the OP,,,, what type of snake are you talking about?
    i feel like your dodging the question... some if not most states have laws on venomous reptiles. is this why your dodging the question?
    i dont think that illegal activity is supported here..........
    spooky

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

So, in your area you have some knowledge.

Great.

I suppose that could be applied like a salve over the entirety of the USA, but I'd hate to stake my life on your knowledge.

Out here I know first hand that they don't. Now what? Impasse?

Zoos, yes indeed, they're so very able and willing to be of assistance to keepers who get bit. Why, we hear of them doing so all the time.

NOT.

We've got Southern Pacifics out here, nasty venom. I believe some poor hiker got nailed and it took over 40 vials of Cro-fab and his hand is permanently crippled. It was on Venom Doc or one of those shows and it was Loma Linda University, on the the top of the line venom treatment centers in the country.

It's great the OP wants to cover his bases, it's just really difficult and expensive. Not impossible, especially if you're wealthy, but difficult.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks

Hi,

Can you please tell me if Red Cross Snake-Antivenin.com is still the cheapest online store where to buy antivenom ?

Thanks for your help.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast