Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

1 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Where to get Antivenom

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Saudi Arabia is one of the leading producer of many anti venoms. I have been told that you can buy direct from them or at least you could once, now... You also know that there is a shortage world wide currently? (read Saudi...) That will drive the price up quite a lot, I was told that it was many thousands a dose but I have no proof of that just a conversation.
    You need permits to import antivenin. Many of the foreign producers aren't FDA approved, and may not be legal.

This is one of those topics that you need to properly and thoroughly research on your own. There is probably a good reason why The venomous keepers you talked to aren't giving you any leads.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

keith88 (01-21-2012),mr.spooky (01-21-2012),zeion97 (01-21-2012)

Thanks

This is one of those topics that you need to properly and thoroughly research on your own. There is probably a good reason why The venomous keepers you talked to aren't giving you any leads.
    I've tried to find info on this subject and I haven't had any luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Saudi Arabia is one of the leading producer of many anti venoms. I have been told that you can buy direct from them or at least you could once, now... You also know that there is a shortage world wide currently? (read Saudi...) That will drive the price up quite a lot, I was told that it was many thousands a dose but I have no proof of that just a conversation.
    Hmmm..A couple thousand dollars..Or your life...

Hard choice right there.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Unless you have the money, Stocking up on anti venom is hard to do with its cost.

Also some anti venom you could be highly allergic to it and be counter productive. Not sure if your able to know which ones your allergic to.

If not mistaken most Anti venom shelf life is what a year max. Im sure there is leeway on that

Thanks
    Most hospitals readily have antivenon for native snakes and your local zoo has antivenon for exotics that they display. Maybe this will help you.

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk
    Jeff Davis
    Facebook -yes
    1.0 Normal BP (Rescue, caught)
    1.0 Albino BP (high contrast)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Most hospitals readily have antivenon for native snakes and your local zoo has antivenon for exotics that they display. Maybe this will help you.

Maybe it won't.

The OP needs to identify which antivenin he needs. The fact that he cannot do that is why he cannot find what he needs.

Once he does that, he should be able to find sources to buy from - with or without a permit.

He also needs to understand that a $99.00 vial of anti-venin isn't going to cut it. You need to know how many you will need for an average bite from the species you are keeping.

You also need to understand that you can easily get yourself into six figure trouble with a run of the mill snakebite just from hospital costs alone. Good luck getting your HMO to pick up the tab.

Some of the freeze dried antivenins have 5 year shelf lives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

JeffD (01-22-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Best advice anyone can offer is simply this..

Don't get bitten!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I know there was recently a story on a woman who got bitten by a common rattlesnake in her garden.

She needed 6 vials of anti-venin at a cost of roughly $1,000 a vial. This was besides the IV fluids, painkillers, and I don't know what else to keep her alive. The total hospital bill was in the neighborhood of $25,000.

To me, that says unless you are rich, don't keep hots!

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 01-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it is legal for private ownership of antivenom, but it doesn't make much sense unless you're planning on getting bit soon - as mentioned it has a finite shelf life. The private owners keeping it are either really wealthy or getting it illegally.

There also isn't a lot out there for purchase and a lot of it is still being created/tested since there aren't antivenoms for all species. Not to mention it can have a very negative effect - as mentioned, it can cause an allergic reaction worse than the venom itself. If self administered for a dry bit (or even a wet one) you could kill yourself with it.

Also, as mentioned, it is very costly - I believe around $1,000 a vial when administered at a hospital and you can expect to need 15+ vials for many bites. Idk about you, but owning a hot and getting a bite isn't worth $15k - that doesn't mean don't get any, just do your research and be properly prepared.

Definitely check for the nearest hospitals that carry the necessary antivenom - the last thing you want to be doing when you get bit is calling around or looking in the yellow pages
    ~Chris
    Biology Departments - Marist College & Mount Saint Mary College
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

Thanks
    I don' t kmow why I even bother. There are so many self proclaimed know it alls on here!!!

Jeff Davis
    Facebook -yes
    1.0 Normal BP (Rescue, caught)
    1.0 Albino BP (high contrast)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

youbeyouibei (01-27-2012)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast