Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

3 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Question How long after feeding????

I know its best to feed your BP outside his cage, tank, ect.... so it doesnt associate opening the lid or your hand with dinner time and so it doesnt swallow any bedding. But if you feed it outside the enclosure how long do you wait after its swallows its prey and is their any special handling technique to use so it wont give you its dinner back???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony83
    I know its best to feed your BP outside his cage, tank, ect.... so it doesnt associate opening the lid or your hand with dinner time and so it doesnt swallow any bedding. But if you feed it outside the enclosure how long do you wait after its swallows its prey and is their any special handling technique to use so it wont give you its dinner back???
    Well actually some people will say that it really does'nt matter for that aspect of them thinking your hand in the cage is food. Because your hand is in there for so many other reasons, (changing water, holding, cleaning ect) that the snake will never just thinkg of a hand as food. I personally feed outside the cage so that i can better oversee the feeding in case something goes wrong(i feed live) and so that i don't have to clean the cage after every feeding due to mouse pe and poop getting everywhere lol. But its pretty much up to you. What i do is after the tail is completly in her mouth i give her about 10 mins just to get settled and get the mouse down. After that do you best to support her area where the mouse is, im sure they would not appreciate you dangling them then there is an extra body in there LOL. But make the transition from the feeding box to the cage VERY SHORT as you do not want to stress your BP. Let me know if this helps.
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

Thanks
    Thanx drew I dont have A BP yet just trying to get all the info I can to ensure I properly care for it.

Thanks
    oh ok, well that is a very good thing to do. I had my whole cage setup working for about a week so i could work out the bugs before my BP actually arrived hehe. But ya thats what i do and every friday Nyxx is very happy and full LOL. If you have any other questions please ask ill be happy to help, as im sure everyone else on the site is hehe.
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

Thanks
    When I was feeding my ball outside of the cage, I would wait about 15 mins or so, long enough for the lump to be near the lower 1/3 of his body. Definately long enough for him to be moving around and looking for somplace else to go. I would carefully pick him up, trying to keep him as flat as possible, supporting the body area around the lump, and set him back down in his tank.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    I just thought I'd add my 2 cents...I did feed my bp in a separate enclosure but it seemed to stress her out a lot. She refused feed several times. I got frustrated and after reading around this site I decided to feed in the cage. I lay a paper towel down and then dangle the mouse. She's taken it every time and seems very content with our routine. She's never struck at my hand mistaking me for food. Just make sure you wash your hands so you don't smell like dinner.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanx everyone I know things vary from snake to snake so i'll be sure to ask the breeders when I go to the Reptile Show here In cleveland on April 10th. If anyone is interested in going the info is on AllOhioShows.com