Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Major congratulations! Hang in there and keep doing whatever works best for you. One day you'll probably realize that you're no longer an ex-smoker, you're a non-smoker. Freedom!

I started when smokes were 25 cents a pack by the carton, so I don't know how people manage to support their habits these days.
    -Joan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jfmoore For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks

Re: Just quit smoking...

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    And to be honest, it has been easier than I thought/feared it would be. Today marks a week without smoking after smoking for the past 18 years...one and half to 2 packs a day for the past 10 years. I'm 2 weeks shy of my 32nd birthday, and I guess I really just had it with smoking. I've tried the gum, the patch, Welbutrin, Chantix...all to no avail. This time, I smoked my last pack and was just done with it.

Although preserving my health is a motivating factor, preserving my wallet is right up there. To sit down and calculate my smoking expenses literally made me feel ill...$12-16 daily, and for what?

I know it's early, but I am ecstatic...and completely surprised at how easy it has been so far. After a week of not smoking, I can't see it becoming any more difficult, but I need to stay on my toes and make sure I don't become lazy or complacent. Maybe quitting drinking and other stuff before has helped make it a more familiar routine this time, who knows...just glad to not be smoking.
    Hey Rob, how have you been doing? I have begun the process to quit the last few days. Haven't had a real cigarette in 3 days.. I've been using the electronic cigarettes as a bridge to not smoking at all. They really seem to help, and are still a different enough habit (physically) that it is helping me to break the habit of what actual smoking is like.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    And to be honest, it has been easier than I thought/feared it would be. Today marks a week without smoking after smoking for the past 18 years...one and half to 2 packs a day for the past 10 years. I'm 2 weeks shy of my 32nd birthday, and I guess I really just had it with smoking. I've tried the gum, the patch, Welbutrin, Chantix...all to no avail. This time, I smoked my last pack and was just done with it.

Although preserving my health is a motivating factor, preserving my wallet is right up there. To sit down and calculate my smoking expenses literally made me feel ill...$12-16 daily, and for what?

I know it's early, but I am ecstatic...and completely surprised at how easy it has been so far. After a week of not smoking, I can't see it becoming any more difficult, but I need to stay on my toes and make sure I don't become lazy or complacent. Maybe quitting drinking and other stuff before has helped make it a more familiar routine this time, who knows...just glad to not be smoking.
    hey rob i recently tried to quit and failed i have the electronic cigarette, and it just made me want one that much more and i noticed i could never put it down, but anyway you said you tried chantix, well i wanted to know how it was for you, ive read many reviews saying not to take it, that it just messed them up mentally really bad and people were having psychotic episodes on it, did you experience anything like this? also did you have to wean yourself off of it, i read if you just stop taking it, it can cause brain damage, but most of the reports said they are smoke free

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deathfromabove For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Hey Rob, how have you been doing? I have begun the process to quit the last few days. Haven't had a real cigarette in 3 days.. I've been using the electronic cigarettes as a bridge to not smoking at all. They really seem to help, and are still a different enough habit (physically) that it is helping me to break the habit of what actual smoking is like.
    It's going well...just passed the 3 month mark! I have smoked 2 cigars on long road trips, but they disgust me more than anything, to the point I can't even associate them with cigarettes. I don't know about the electronic cigarette...I've since picked up gum chewing and I have a constant need to have something in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by deathfromabove View Post
    hey rob i recently tried to quit and failed i have the electronic cigarette, and it just made me want one that much more and i noticed i could never put it down, but anyway you said you tried chantix, well i wanted to know how it was for you, ive read many reviews saying not to take it, that it just messed them up mentally really bad and people were having psychotic episodes on it, did you experience anything like this? also did you have to wean yourself off of it, i read if you just stop taking it, it can cause brain damage, but most of the reports said they are smoke free
    I tried Chantix maybe 2 years ago...don't remember exactly when. It was interesting, to say the least. Hard to explain...I didn't have any psychotic epispodes or anything, but it was almost like a mild psychadelic drug to me. Really weird, had me a little antsy, and my mind would definitely wander. I stopped it half way through the recommended duration mainly because my insurance didn't cover it, but also because it had me on edge a little...but I don't think I've suffered any permanent brain damage doing that. For me, it wasn't the way to go, but 2 of my brothers have had success with it.

Thanks

Good luck to both of you! It's not easy...I won't even try to candy coat it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Good job. It's tough to do. Many times it takes several attempts before you succeed. Cold turkey was what worked for me. I had major motivation though, I wanted a baby. It's been 10 years. And now cigarette smoke gags me. Keep up the good work. Start a jar with what you would spend each day, and when you make it to a goal, say one month or two, use that money and go buy a new snake!! :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks

Congratulations, Although I am a 2 pack a day smoker for 18 yrs, I wonder sometimes with all the health risk out there why these things havnt been banned,My guess is the federal government makes a lot of money on them in taxes, but banning python species? Im absolutely sure that cigarettes have killed more people in this country than pythons. I have tried the patch and gum myself numerous times without success and its very very difficult. Good for you my friend...........

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baller29 For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Congratulations! This is definitely a life changing experience.
    Put all that newly saved cigarette money into a new snake fund as a reward

My boyfriend smoked for years in his 20s and he just got up one day and was like "Well. I'm done". Never had another cigarette since. He said he's noticed a lot of things as an ex-smoker and how he can't stand the smell of second hand smoke now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    I quite smokiing June 20th of 2010. I used Chantix without any issues and actually stopped using the Chantix after 3 months because I didn't feel the need for it anymore. I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker for 16 years.

Now I will say I replaced my addiction with more physical persuits. I do Taekwondo, Shurkin Ryu, Brazilian jujitsu, weight lifting, jogging, and ball room dancing. If I don't get some physical excersise in for at least 1 hour and preferably 2 hours a day I get really antsy. The way I look at it though is at least my addictions are good for me now!
    Last edited by Gloryhound; 05-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gloryhound For This Useful Post:

arialmt (10-20-2012),RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Well here we are in October and (bump) I'd like hear to from ya'll in this thread and more. I used Chantix the last time (June of 2012) I quit and haven't looked back since. For me smoking became a matter of control.
    This message brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

0.1 Normal

18. The Following User Says Thank You to arialmt For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (10-24-2012)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast