Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

1 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

burn recovery/feeding - hasnt eaten in 6 months

my ball has only eaten twice in the last 6 months and both were mice that way too small for him...

what the poor guy has been through:

i went on vacation and he stayed with a friend for 2 months where he never ate. there is a chance he was over handled there. temps and humidity should have been good.

when i returned i moved into a house where the room he was in was too cold. He still wasnt eating so i got a stronger UTH and someone told me that he would move away from it if it was too hot. He stayed on it because the ambient temp was too low and got burned

A few weeks after the burn he ate 1 pinky

It has been 3 months since the burn and it is mostly all shed off now. During this time he hasnt shown much interest in food... he wouldnt even come out of his hide sometimes when there was a warm and fragrant F/T in the tank, and once or twice he would bite then spit out the mouse.

Another snake owner babysat him recently and said she tried everything and couldnt get him to strike.

Tonight I put him in a feeding tank and fed a warm F/T that has been in with live mouse shavings. He struck but didnt eat.

He used to be a great eater and I am wondering if there is anything else I can try? I have thought of changing to live but with his disinterest and possibly spitting out I am worried he will get scratched. He has only had fresh killed and FT his whole life (age 3)

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

Thanks
    Make sure temps are warm enough and it will probably eat...balls are a real pain sometimes with going a long time without eating. Due to the season most of my burms and balls wont eat. Have no fear, as long as conditions are good they will return to eating....drives me nuts sometimes.
    ~Rich
    I tend to trust my snakes more than most people ... I know that my snakes may bite me... but you cant always tell with people.
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: burn recovery/feeding - hasnt eaten in 6 months

What did he weight before the fast, and what does he weigh now? This is one of the most important pieces of information when determining whether to be worried about a fasting BP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~