Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

0 members and 3,229 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks

Response from my Congressman on Python Ban

Not all politicians are knee jerk people hellbent on infringing on our individual freedoms.

Dear Mr. Cavanaugh:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opinion regarding the Fish and Wildlife Service's final rule on the constrictor ban. As your Congressman, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome every opportunity to be of service.

As you may know, on April 7, 2011, the FWS filed a final rule with the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) regarding constrictors. This rule, also known as the constrictor ban, adds nine non-native, non-venomous snakes to the Lacey Act's "injurious reptiles" list, therefore making it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, buy or possess any of the snakes or other reptiles found on this list. The OMB is currently reviewing this rule to determine the costs and benefits of its implementation.

Allowing this rule to stand would effectively end commerce in these species and their hybrids, thereby eliminating an industry worth hundreds of millions of dollars and comprised of tens of thousands of small businesses and entrepreneurs. According to the Small Business Administration's (SBA) Office of Advocacy, the FWS failed to "adequately describe the impacts of the proposed rule on small business" and did "not discuss significant alternatives to the proposed rule."

I have serious concerns about the pace and depth at which the current administration continues to bypass Congress to enact policy changes through the federal regulatory process. At a time when unemployment rates are at their highest in years, we should be focused on growing our economy and using policy to protect businesses and jobs, not creating regulations that place burdensome mandates on Georgia businesses and families. Rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should any legislation pertaining to the constrictor ban come before the House for a vote.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. If you feel that I may be of additional assistance on this, or any other matter of importance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I also invite you to sign up for my weekly email newsletter, or to share your ideas and opinions, by visiting my website at http://gingrey.house.gov or emailing me at gingrey.ga@mail.house.gov.

You may also follow me on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/RepPhilGingrey), Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/RepPhilGingrey), and Twitter, @repphilgingrey, (http://www.twitter.com/RepPhilGingrey) for live updates from Washington.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Highline Reptiles South For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (01-18-2012),Exotic Ectotherms (01-18-2012),gman8585 (01-18-2012),mangopixie (01-18-2012),MikeH (01-18-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Very good read. Thank you.

Thanks
    wow, great response...need more like him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Response from my Congressman on Python Ban

He just earned my vote.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Last edited by Skiploder; 01-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    i got a letter very similar from senator vitter in louisiana not long back. i will see if i can dig it up. it is nice that they respond, but it still almost feels like its a "yeah yeah i hear you" kind of response. just my opinion.

Thanks

Just another auto reply it seems...... what cab we do is they question? Besides being all "big and bad" and bashing. What can we honestly do now. It's nothing but a.Florida problem being pawned off on us. :|
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Just another auto reply it seems...... what cab we do is they question? Besides being all "big and bad" and bashing. What can we honestly do now. It's nothing but a.Florida problem being pawned off on us. :|
    Vote. This fall is time to take out the trash and get rid of the politicians that didn't listen to us. They are not doing there job so we fire them.
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoon For This Useful Post:

Hypnotic Exotic (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Glad to see few but good hearts stand & fight for us!!
    Exotic Animals are like chips....You just can't have one

Thanks

Auto replying politicians... I'm surprised!
    Last edited by xcrafter; 01-18-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast