Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 species from FWS Constrictor Rule!

1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    I can't get in because I don't have a facebook account. Can someone copy and paste?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycatpenut View Post
    I can't get in because I don't have a facebook account. Can someone copy and paste?
    Sorry,

We need to calm down because we need to do some research on this bill. The letter I recived from the senator said that the bill was not passed through the house and is being pushed through committee. That means that the senate has not voted or passed the bill. They are basically approving what animals will go on the bill. Its not supposed to be voted on until feburay 3rd. Nothings gone through, we still have a chanc to fight this. Everyone needs to keep a level head, think about what they're going to say, and don't make the industry look bad.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

KingObeat (01-17-2012),youbeyouibei (01-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Sorry,

We need to calm down because we need to do some research on this bill. The letter I recived from the senator said that the bill was not passed through the house and is being pushed through committee. That means that the senate has not voted or passed the bill. They are basically approving what animals will go on the bill. Its not supposed to be voted on until feburay 3rd. Nothings gone through, we still have a chanc to fight this. Everyone needs to keep a level head, think about what they're going to say, and don't make the industry look bad.
    The bill he has posted on his page is from 2009...It was shot down in both the Senate and House in the last congressional sessions. Effectively killing it until it could be re-introduced in a new form in the present session. Which it hasn't been... so far.

What Senator Nelson did was circumvent any Congressional involvment by using the Department of the Interior and FWS to push his agenda forward. NO vote required.

He just also happens to be up for re-election this year. What better way to garner votes from the old retirees in Florida than to get rid of the giant lap-dog eating burmeses python.

American politics is fun ain't it.

I am also amazed USARK was able to get the 5 others atleast postponed on such short notice.

Seems like this has been a done deal between the agencies and Mr. Nelson for awhile.

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Can I just quickly state that I am beginning to dislike living in Florida, if only for all the issues with reptiles.

On another note, having been a part of Student Government in a University, I have learned a great deal about how things happen and why. Basically, those in power do everything they can to push legislation through which they approve of, and to quash anything they dislike. If presented eloquently enough, the sheep they are preaching to simply listen to the demands and poor explanation, then vote accordingly. Valid questions centered on specifics and legality are often answered with confidently stated falsehoods, which people then take to be true since the individual "obviously knew what he/she was talking about". My mentor once told me, "If you say it convincingly enough, and act like you know what you're talking about, they'll believe you. And almost no one will go to the trouble to check and prove you wrong. So just speak confidently and you're golden." That bit of advice still sickens me a bit.

I'm sure this applies in state and federal government as well. Frankly, the political agenda of most politicians is disgusting. It is typically centered around pushing their own agenda and interests with blatant disregard for the feelings and voice of the populace.

- Nakita

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

minguss (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    So this is in no way shape or form a win for us or anyone who owns "exotic" animals. This is a major defeat.
    This is devastating.
    An unimaginable gain for those who oppose the rights/freedoms of others. There are many people who would love to see all exotics and pets banned. They have the money and the time to win their fight. Sooner or later, they WILL WIN.
    How long do you think it is going to take for the other 5 to be put on the list?
    Now that those 4 have been put on the list how long will it be before states ban them as well? It is much easier now for each state to say "If they are illegal to be imported/exported or to cross state lines, why have them at all?"

Ball Pythons will be next just because they are PYTHONS. People are ignorant of the fact that they only get 4'- 5' long. People hear Python and think of "Giant" man eating snakes. All Pythons get 50' long right?
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Count me as someone who doesn't see the glass half full. I see a full glass that is now almost half empty, with nothing but a delay until all the water is sucked out.

Boas are established in the Everglades - so why were they excluded? Well, money talks - and boas are still big business.

This is just a beachhead on a broader front. Anyone who thinks of this as a victory does not understand tactics. They just stole the rights from the breeders and keepers of 4 species with plans on doing more damage in the future.

The broader front:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...?121+ful+SB477

Read it.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/...N/IN1288.1.pdf

We aren't "winning". The inevitable has been delayed - big difference. Plus, I wonder why USARK threw in that half truth about the smelt.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan...tists-20120106

The smelt scientists were eventually cleared. Looks like the Federal government aren't the only ones guilty of spreading info that is questionable.

Thanks

In no way shape or form is this a victory at all. Usark did not save anything they may of delayed it but its still not passed they WILL add the rest. I for one pray they put boas back on the list becuase thats the only way any of us large keepers have ANY chance at winning this. The reptile community needs to get over there dollar signs and remember that there are still people in this hobby that keep these animals becuase we love them. I dont want to live in south carolina forever but if this passes I will have no choice because I will die before I give up my pets. They are a part of my family and we fight for our family. I dont keep boas other then anacondas but I would fight for you guys. I dont keep colubrids but I would fight for you to. We have to stick together this is bigger then just burmese pythons! Once they get these they will be back for yours to. We need to stop throwing the large snakes, venomous snakes, large monitors , and crocs under the bus and stand up and fight together because regardless if you keep them or not its still your RIGHT to have a choice to keep them! Please help us fight this we dont stand a chance alone. They have no idea how big this industry is. Its time to show them!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

spygirl (01-19-2012),zeion97 (01-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    In no way shape or form is this a victory at all. Usark did not save anything they may of delayed it but its still not passed they WILL add the rest. I for one pray they put boas back on the list becuase thats the only way any of us large keepers have ANY chance at winning this. The reptile community needs to get over there dollar signs and remember that there are still people in this hobby that keep these animals becuase we love them. I dont want to live in south carolina forever but if this passes I will have no choice because I will die before I give up my pets. They are a part of my family and we fight for our family. I dont keep boas other then anacondas but I would fight for you guys. I dont keep colubrids but I would fight for you to. We have to stick together this is bigger then just burmese pythons! Once they get these they will be back for yours to. We need to stop throwing the large snakes, venomous snakes, large monitors , and crocs under the bus and stand up and fight together because regardless if you keep them or not its still your RIGHT to have a choice to keep them! Please help us fight this we dont stand a chance alone. They have no idea how big this industry is. Its time to show them!

Another great post Denial.. We do need to unite, but it seems like you said, they only people that care are the owns that own the species being banded..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

Denial (01-20-2012)

Thanks
    I myself take a lot of concern on any speices of snakes that could possibly be banned. I'm a owner of just one ball python, but I could imgaine the pain of the owners who own any of the others. Trust me I too feel the pain. Just like others have stated this would not be the beginning of snake bans, if this does pass. Before we know it corn snakes would be added onto the list!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Druzy For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-20-2012)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast