Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

2 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 species from FWS Constrictor Rule!

plus, what is the point of even banning any snakes from being transported over state lines, if your still going to let people own those snakes in the states that theyre not already outlawed in? its not going to help anything whatsoever, i would think the politicians in florida would WANT all the burms to be moved out of state, instead of trapping them in with nowhere else to go
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I am beyond pissed.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    I'm sorry but this post is BS. I am so tired of people trying to be optimistic about this. What if one of the species listed was ball pythons?? I bet your post would have a little different ring to it! It will destroy the breeders of these animals, as well limit your options if you ever choose to get one as a pet! The fact of the matter is that this is just a "segue bill" that they will use to eventually ban whatever snakes they see fit...its how the government works these days!
    I'm sorry, but I don't think anything I said involves 'trying to be optimistic about this", and I was clarifying what this addition to the Lacey Act ACTUALLY DOES, because if people don't understand it, they can't intelligently fight it. Please re-read what I said, instead of freaking out because I said I was glad that I'll get to keep my SD retics when I move back to Wyoming. I am a business, and I'm glad that, at the moment, that project is still fine.
    I don't accept what's going on, and I will keep fighting...as I said.

If this were about ball pythons, I wouldn't have said one thing different, other than the part about being happy about not losing a project.

Again, people need to UNDERSTAND WHAT THE BAN IS. It is a ban on transportation, NOT a ban on the animals themselves. People do NOT need to lose their minds and start believing the government is about to break down their door and take away their Burms. That's not what this is about, and I see TOO MANY people who think than Burmese pythons are now BANNED, and they will not be able to own them any longer.

I said it, because apparently everyone else was just happy to let people keep believing that the government was going to take away their snakes.

That doesn't IN ANY WAY imply that I think the transportation ban is A-OK. I think it's a disaster, but people need to understand it so they can fight it effectively.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-17-2012)

Thanks
    This sucks...there's nothing positive about this......Woo-Hoo..5 didn't make it...don't pat yourselves on the back.......THEY'RE NOT DONE! I get that this is a banning on transportation......but this is just a foot in the doorway.......and to say..."you still get to keep your snake and breed it and sell it in your own state" is mucked up!!
    This country is really starting to mucking suck.....from the rediculous health insurance benefits/costs to gas price gouging to the pathetic justice system......i guess this is just one more thing to be proud to be an american..........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't think anything I said involves 'trying to be optimistic about this", and I was clarifying what this addition to the Lacey Act ACTUALLY DOES, because if people don't understand it, they can't intelligently fight it. Please re-read what I said, instead of freaking out because I said I was glad that I'll get to keep my SD retics when I move back to Wyoming. I am a business, and I'm glad that, at the moment, that project is still fine.
    I don't accept what's going on, and I will keep fighting...as I said.

If this were about ball pythons, I wouldn't have said one thing different, other than the part about being happy about not losing a project.

Again, people need to UNDERSTAND WHAT THE BAN IS. It is a ban on transportation, NOT a ban on the animals themselves. People do NOT need to lose their minds and start believing the government is about to break down their door and take away their Burms. That's not what this is about, and I see TOO MANY people who think than Burmese pythons are now BANNED, and they will not be able to own them any longer.

I said it, because apparently everyone else was just happy to let people keep believing that the government was going to take away their snakes.

That doesn't IN ANY WAY imply that I think the transportation ban is A-OK. I think it's a disaster, but people need to understand it so they can fight it effectively.
    My apologies, I miss-understood the tone of your original post. I read into it the wrong way and from my perspective it sounded like you were brushing it off as something worth fighting but not a big deal. Again I apologize for coming at you in such a way, this kind of stuff really gets at me as I am sure it does most everyone in this hobby/business.

Yes there are many people out there who are not informed on what the new law actually states, and I appreciate your clarification on that. I agree with you 100% that people need to understand the bill so we can intelligently fight back, and I now see that is what you were trying to say in your first post.

Thanks
    I do understand what it is, I'm just saying that it's going to be much harder if not impossible to get morphs legally except albino. I really hope this bill doesn't pass; it will put people out of business.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    From what I understand, it's already DONE. Those 4 species HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE LACEY ACT'S INJURIOUS SPECIES LIST.

This is no longer a potential, it's come to pass. Getting them removed is going to be dramatically more difficult than preventing it from happening in the first place, and we're going to have to fight tooth and nail to keep it from happening to the remaining 5.

For those who claim this was not a victory...I'm sorry, but it was. We could have lost all 9, and we did not. We could have done more, if we had been able to generate the kind of response that we did the first time this came up. It's hard to say to say whether that would have prevented the 4 from being added, because powerful interests pushed this through. They may have done so regardless of what kind of numbers we had. It's impossible to speculate on that.

We still could lose the remaining species, and we need to step up our efforts now, not relax and sit back.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

If they wanted to get rid of the wild population wouldn't it be better to extend the hunting season for them all year and not make people buy licenses to do so.

Sad to see where this country is really going. . . to the swine

Thanks
    Crap, I couldn't find if they had been added or not. Our government stinks What happened to the "land of the free"?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ER12 View Post
    Hi Rebecca-

In a word, no. This was not a bill in the legislature that most of us are more familiar with. This was a federal rule change proposed by USFWS and Department of the Interior (DOI) Secretary Ken Salazar.

This has been the last straw for me; the Obama administration needs to be dismantled and a new candidate to take office.

Ron Paul 2012
    This is precisely what's wrong with this country now. If something can't get through Congress, then they go around them. Wasn't that the whole purpose of having three branches of government?!?!?! This is yet one more example of blatant abuse of power.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotic Exotic For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-18-2012),minguss (01-18-2012)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast