Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

1 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 species from FWS Constrictor Rule!

Its to early in the morning... are Retics on that list..? And no this is not a comprise.. this is how it will start, within a year the other 5 an Maybe more will probably be up there. All they need is ground to start on an That's will gain them motivation in Congress to continue.
    This entire thing is BS.. an now I'm stuck here if I want to keep.my Burmese..... which means if I got high class culinary job I have to.pick between my two loves... culinary and my reptiles.
    What Is our next step? Do we appeal?
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    the rest of the announcement states that the rest of the species are still being considered. this is still a loss the fight keeps going and we still need to send letters to fight it off
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoon For This Useful Post:

adamsky27 (01-17-2012)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Retics are not on the list. YET.

I don't imagine they are going to have police at the state borders searching vehicles for snakes being transported. So realistically, if you moved you could probably still manage to take your snakes with you. BUT, don't move to Florida. If your neighbor found out you had a Burm, heaven forbid! lol. I understand the concern, but really? I have family in Miami and have driven through the Everglades many time. I have never, NOT ONCE, seen a Burm anywhere. I know they are there, but the problem is not quite as bad as the politicians are making it out to be. Yes, it may be hurting the natural ecosystem to some extent, but it's not like these snakes are everywhere and are a danger to humans. This whole thing is ridiculous.

I know sending the emails to my state Senators probably did nothing (stinkin' Florida), but I will now probably be sending hand written letters as well. I think the best thing we can do at this point is keep supporting USARK.

- Nakita

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

adamsky27 (01-17-2012),purplemuffin (01-17-2012),ReptilesK2 (01-18-2012),zeion97 (01-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Why is it great news? Because you don't own a Burm?

I got news for you, this is only where it starts. Now all it will take is a simple amendment to add whatever other snake species they want to the list.

It doesn't make any scientific sense to enforce such rules nation wide. Will you still consider it good news when they add YOUR favorite species to the list? Don't think it will happen? That is the same thing everyone thought about this.
    It is great news because they saved 5 of the 9. It is better than nothing. Be happy that they were able to save the ones that they saved. What if they did ban all 9? Are you saying that the efforts of USARK are useless? That's what I get from your posts. These people work so hard for us, and when they get something done it is never good enough.

Personally, I am thankful for what they do. Even if they were only to save 1 of the 9 I'd still be happy.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adamsky27 For This Useful Post:

GoldDust (01-17-2012),ReptilesK2 (01-18-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (01-17-2012),youbeyouibei (01-17-2012)

Thanks

This totally stinks! I will be waiting on further direction from USARK to see what more I can do to help fight these endless battles. Thank you USARK for what you have done so far!
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemmBalls For This Useful Post:

adamsky27 (01-17-2012)

Thanks
    Darn Congress... My dad said that I could get a burm once we got a rental house and had the money. Now it looks like that will never happen.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I'm glad that they saved my SD Retic project.
    I'm sad that I won't be adding a dwarf Burm project.

I'm still game to keep fighting.

Folks, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS RULE. This ban prohibits importation and interstate transport, and that is all. You will still be able to keep, breed, and sell these animals inside your own State (provided it's legal to do so now).
    That's part of the reason why adding these animals to the Lacey Act doesn't accomplish any of the things they claimed that it would. It's why this is such a stupid rule. It doesn't even do what they wanted it to do, it's bad no matter which side you were on.

If you were planning to get a pet Burm next year, you still can, provided you're not planning on moving to another State in the future.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 01-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

minguss (01-18-2012)

Thanks

You think this is over?

While others heaped praise on Interior Secretary Ken Salazar’s ban on Burmese pythons and other invasive snakes, South Florida Congressman Tom Rooney called it a half-measure that “will not do nearly enough to protect the Everglades and the surrounding ecosystems.”

Salazar’s rules, unveiled on Tuesday, will halt the importation and interstate transport of four constrictor snakes. But Rooney notes that the U.S. Geological Service found that nine species threaten Florida’s environment.

Rooney, a Republican from Tequesta, touted his proposed bill that would ban all nine.

“There are nine species of invasive predators that pose a severe threat to our native wildlife," he said, "and all nine need to be eradicated.”
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...an_as_hal.html
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    Oh, yay. Sort of. Sigh.

This is going to happen again. I don't want to hear in the next few years "At least we stopped MOST of it" again..and again..and again. Until they are all gone, and more and more snakes are added to the list.

It sucks to try so hard and come so close and fail. We did fail--it's like a piece of cloth. We feel strong as the reptile nation, no one can break us. But once that cloth has been cut--a ban like this one..It's far to easy for all of those against us to take hold and rip our fragile world apart. This is just the beginning. We can't get soft here. Prepare for statewide bans and more push from the government.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    We are going to have to fight harder, and work harder to bring others into this fight. Purplemuffin is correct, now they know that we can't defeat them, and they will not stop.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-17-2012)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast