Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

3 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: U.S. set to approve python ban

Actually its a pretty good comparison, the only difference is that all we could do to fight it is protest which is the worst part...it is not something specifically laid out in our constitution like the right to bear arms...whereas with guns if they tried to pull something like this there would literally be a revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    This is bad news! Our country is in a sad state when ridiculous political agendas and incorrect science, beat the peoples opinions. (Which our government is supposed to represent)

You could say the same thing about guns. Something many people own, and can handle responsibly but still some of the population could not handle one safely.

Yes, Burms aren't for everyone - Yes, guns aren't for everyone, but it is NOT up to the government to decide for us.

As stated before, "We draw the line here." If a person accepts less freedom and draws their line further and further, from freedom, that person will lose their freedom all together.

Sorry for the long comparison. Just the best one I could think of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Actually its a pretty good comparison, the only difference is that all we could do to fight it is protest which is the worst part...it is not something specifically laid out in our constitution like the right to bear arms...whereas with guns if they tried to pull something like this there would literally be a revolution!
    Very true!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
    Sad to say it but I think the country is already heading down the Revolution road... its been witnessed all around the world in recent years difference being this country has more armed civilians that military

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmoon View Post
    Sad to say it but I think the country is already heading down the Revolution road... its been witnessed all around the world in recent years difference being this country has more armed civilians that military
    That leaves a lot of conflict for veterans like myself. While I absolutely do NOT approve of some recent measures the government has been taking, I also know what the military is capable of, and also that it's full of normal men and women that just want to make a living, same as the rest of us.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

1.0 Dachshund/Pomeranian mix (Loki)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDemon View Post
    That leaves a lot of conflict for veterans like myself. While I absolutely do NOT approve of some recent measures the government has been taking, I also know what the military is capable of, and also that it's full of normal men and women that just want to make a living, same as the rest of us.
    Yes, one of them being my best friend, and I can tell you that not only has the Army's General (idk his official term) come out and said that he would never fire on the American public, but the general consensus of the enlisted is that of standing up for our constitutional rights no matter what the Army would tell them...its hard to fight a war with no troops!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The comparison to gun control is great, and if I'm not mistaken most states have some sort of regulation on who can own a hand gun. I stated that I think the current proposal is bogus, but it would probably be in the best interest of the community if some sort of law was passed to PROTECT the animals and the hobby. Everyone likes to dump on the government, but we would all be screwed without them. It's up to us to make sure they make the right kinds of laws.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dabonus View Post
    The comparison to gun control is great, and if I'm not mistaken most states have some sort of regulation on who can own a hand gun. I stated that I think the current proposal is bogus, but it would probably be in the best interest of the community if some sort of law was passed to PROTECT the animals and the hobby. Everyone likes to dump on the government, but we would all be screwed without them. It's up to us to make sure they make the right kinds of laws.
    YEA A LOCAL LAW.....FOR FLORIDA...NOT A NATIONAL ONE! THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS THAT THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT HAS NO RIGHT TO MAKE THESE KIND OF LAWS. It is absolutely asinine to think that the national government should ever consider a national ban like this...or a national ANYTHING regarding our rights to own/transport these animals! This is an issue that is affecting ONE of our fifty states and even the thought of the national government getting involved is so convoluted it baffles me!

Thanks
    I think a big problem is people thinking we have a "right" to own these snakes. This isn't the second amendment folks. These are animals. Blaming the government about this, is like blaming an egg, for being layed. Too many times burms and retics have been sold to kids and people who have no clue what a 15 foot snake's needs are. I think the main culprits, are the irresponsible breeders who only want to crank out a profit, and sell to any Tom, richard, or Harry regardless of their constrictor IQ. Of course HSUS, and PETA, and all the other nuts are going to lobby hard for this. We've painted a bullseye on our chests. I really hope this doesn't get passed, and I really hope that we adopt a better stance on who should own a giant snake. Maybe we should take a hard look at the falconer's model.
    Last edited by dr del; 01-17-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: removing innocent censor trip

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maze031 For This Useful Post:

Dabonus (01-17-2012),youbeyouibei (01-17-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

At the risk of ostracizing and completing infuriating everyone on this forum, owning snakes is not a right, it's a privilege. The talk of armed revolution and uprising is frankly ridiculous and plays right into the image that those who oppose this hobby are attempting to paint on all us as a bunch of drugged out, tattooed, pierced idiots hell-bent on breeding the next super snake to unleash on suburbia to eat Kitty and Puppy and the ankle-biting toddler snot from next door.

Instead of talking insurrection and armed revolt, think for a minute. The legislation that is being proposed has an excellent chance of succeeding for a very simple reason: it strikes at people's emotions. Politicians are masters of spin and bull, along with creating demons where there are none (WMD's and purchases of yellow-cake uranium, anyone?). Let me be clear in that I am NOT attacking the military as I thank God for each and every one of those selfless individuals; I am attacking and pointing the finger at the fat cats in Washington who sent them on wild goose chase.

Back to the topic at hand: the proposed snake ban is no exception; they create hysteria, fear and then offer hope and salvation through proposed legislation to "protect" everyone (McCathyism and the "red scare", Patriot Act and terrorism, etc.).

Rather than react emotionally, in spite of the: _________ (anger, fear, hate, loathing, etc. fill in the blank) the proposed legislation evokes, be rational. Oppose the legislation, educate the public and MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! We, John Q Public, elect the idiots that currently "serve" (themselves!) in Congress, to represent us. Well, make them work for the moronic amounts of money they pay themselves and make them know that you won't stand for them to sit idly by while the industry and hobby we love is being attacked for nothing more than emotionally-based reasoning that is built on faulty "evidence" and in some cases outright lies. Write letters, join USARK and do SOMETHING.

I know it's easier to go with the gut-check "Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead!" attitude but from someone who has done that more than I care to admit, the rational, well-thought out and reasoned approach has far better results and doesn't ostracize those who haven't made up their minds yet in terms of making a decision for or against this current debate/proposal and where they stand on the issue. Play into the image that we're being painted with by acting the fool and you've won the fight for the opposition without them ever having even tried. Just my two cents...let the flaming begin, lol!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

Dabonus (01-17-2012),Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-17-2012),maze031 (01-17-2012),Morbo (01-18-2012),pigfat (01-17-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (01-17-2012),weird_science04 (01-17-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dabonus View Post
    Do you still need to hold someones hand when you cross the street? Some people just never get out of the stage of needing to be parented. They think that dad (the government) should be this big powerful giant that tells everyone what to do. After all, dad only PROTECTS things right?

Quote Originally Posted by maze031 View Post
    Blaming the government about this, is like blaming an egg, for being layed.
    Hmmm... the government tries to push through a bill that lists a bunch of new rules based on lies and misinformation telling "the people" what to do... But it isn't their fault because that "is like blaming an egg for being layed."I wonder if this is what our founding fathers had in mind for our government today.

Funny thing is, it is what they knew would eventually happen. That is why they let us have our guns... so we can put the government back in its place when it stops representing the people.

Quote Originally Posted by youbeyouibei View Post
    The talk of armed revolution and uprising is frankly ridiculous and plays right into the image that those who oppose this hobby are attempting to paint on all us as a bunch of drugged out, tattooed, pierced idiots hell-bent on breeding the next super snake to unleash on suburbia to eat Kitty and Puppy and the ankle-biting toddler snot from next door.

Instead of talking insurrection and armed revolt, think for a minute.
    Don't be so scared to stand up against the man. He is working for you, not the other way around.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

BigJ (01-17-2012),Kinra (01-17-2012)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast