Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

2 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks

Re: U.S. set to approve python ban

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    So you don't think the genetics studies that link them back to the hurricane that flattened the warehouses of many repltile importers have any validity?

This wasn't caused by people releasing pets. At all.

dr del
    Thanks Del.

I'll ad to this.

No, pet owners did not release ALL the burms, only SOME most are from the facilty that had anywhere from 600-1,000 Hatchlings Now because I have a feeling you're hard headed think about this... I have a 6 foot Burm. He's a docile and calm little guy, my cat even clawed him once and he didn't do anything. Now lets say this, I release him.... What's he going to do? He's been babied all his life and he see's me as his "shelter" his "mom" Snakes aren't as dumb as people think.

Let's go bigger.. I let loose a 15 or 20 foot snake. Okay.. so now a snake that is even OLDER and has been through the same thing all his life would have no idea what to do... What's is it to do? The poor snake would most likely freak out and have little to no idea what to do. Why? because we've taken care of them all there lives. The two CBB that were raised would most likely be eaten by a alligator before they even had a chance to get a single meal/

Now let's see the thing with a baby.. The baby has little to no idea what to do, even being captive bred it hasn't developed enough in our care to be able to know it will always get food. Now a little hurricane somes through and releases them.. Instincts will kick in because of how young they are and some will survive it is inevitable.

Now i'm going to take apart your quote....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJuggles View Post
    Can you prove how many there aren't? 1. NO I can not prove how many there are, it's IMPOSSIBLE to know exactly, but there is now bloody way there are 100,000 of them.
    They do not come from this part of the world. A big reason that there is a population to begin with is that irresposible people think, "oh hey, I'm just gonna buy this little burmese python, its so cute, omg....", and then when it grows into a 20+ foot "monster" of an animal that they can lo longer house, take care of, or contain, they opt for the easy way out and release it into the jungle.
    "hey, they come from the jungle, right.......?" 2. Like I said...most people don't release there snakes, contray to what you hear, IF someone raised a baby up to 20 FEET why on earth would they release something they love so much when they've cared for it for so long? espcially when they know a shelter will take it.

This problem is a product of our own carelessness, 3. This is a product of "OUR" carelessness....??? so you released a burmese into the glades? No it is not, as i stated above I will not retype it... I however educate people any chance I get, I may not be the best, but i do my part, which is a lot more then what most keepers can say.
    and the goverment is doing their job, whether we like it or not, like they should be doing. I dont think that attempting to ban all breeds of pythons or boas is the answer, but "we" let this happen, and "we" weren't doing anything about it. Everybody is so concerned about the rights of animals, and being selfish that they cant see that there is a problem. 4. I don't see a problem? Please explain it to me? Burmese are destroying the glades? HOW? as WWP posted above... and i've preached more times them i can remember, Burmese do more good then bad. let's say 100 burms are born.. MOST will be eaten by other creatures that live in the glades, maybe a few will survive to adulthood but very few will.. They're not "Apex" like they've been labeled.. They're near the top, but not APEX.
    Now... I will agree with you to ONE point, the others should not suffer, but this is Flodria's problem and not the U.S. They're doing nothing but wasting our tax dollars to hunt down snakes. Like I stated, if they want to do anything they need to just ban IMPORTING. why should we not be allowed to sell to people in other states??

Better yet, what does any of this law have to do with other then that fact Florida's politicians think they own the U.s.....

This is a sad event, and i will do everything I can to overturn it. But it is comments like your that help add fuel to the goverments fire.. A reptile owner should NEVER say the U.S. is right for this......

<end rant>
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Damn Skip! You always have some kind of clever response!

Btw, for those of you in this thread who think this means BCIs and all that you are wrong....http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...nstrictor-Rule!

I was able to read the original link in this thread and get from the article that this act will only take import of Burms and Rocks away. Do I approve of it, no! Am I happy it doesn't include Boas and Balls, yes! Either way, we as Americans have to protect the land we live in and these two big snakes have proved to be injurious and are destroying our ecosystem. Get angry at me if you want but I somewhat agree with what they are doing. Also, these snakes are not for 90% of the people who are on this forum anyway. Especially with some of the threads I see posted by some people. Tally Ho!

Actually I think it's crap, burms can't live/survive in every state. Actually they don't thrive in all of Florida, weird? It should be a Florida state law and shouldn't punish the entire country for the problems that are only in the Glades. The hurricane is to be blamed for the burm pop down there, not a whole bunch of people releasing their 20' monsters lol. Quit buying into the governments propaganda people! They should focus on their own problems instead of trying to punish the entire nation for THEIR problems! I live in Co and can guarantee that none of the original 9 can live here. It wouldn't happen our winters are too cold and long. Just because regular sized burms aren't for everyone, what about the dwarf burms? I can agree with having laws against large constrictors in the Glades but can't agree with you thinking this is a positive thing, that's just delusional! I get tired of hearing people that agree with this ban, your being as ignorant as the people that wrote it!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boadaddy For This Useful Post:

thedarkwolf25 (01-18-2012),zeion97 (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    I'm really going to be devistated if I can't have the snakes that I want in the future . I am going back to school to get a good paying job, so I can provide proper care to my hopefully future pets . In the mean time I'm doing excessive research on each reptile to know the proper living requirments these wonderful animals require .
    Last edited by Druzy; 01-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    wow, im super galmmed im an anarchist, this is one of the main reasons too! i will continue to protest, i love my critters, and plan to have more from breeders nation wide, i will protest until we get a good answer,
    Reptiles
    0.0.1 - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus, Cheerio

Mammals
    1.1 - Canis Lupus Familiaris, Little Man & Molly

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Zeion, snakes are not like mammals. They don't learn how to hunt. They don't forget how to hunt, simply because they've been in captivity. While a snake, released into the wild from captivity, would probably take a while to figure out where the best hiding, sunning, and hunting places were, it would inevitably do just fine. Anyone who's lost a snake in their home can testify to how these animals fare in a strange environment...well enough that we can't locate them, lol.

The hatchlings from the warehouse were wild caught, imported baby burms. Even if they had been captive bred...they were hatchlings. Perfectly equipped to survive in the wild on their own, and perfectly unadapted to captivity as of yet. They were the perfect way to introduce a new species to the environment there.
    This is where the vast bulk of the Burm population in Florida came from.

However...it may not necessarily be where the boa, Afrock, retic, etc populations came from. There HAVE been released or escaped pets. Just a lot fewer of them, which is why all the screaming is about Burms, and not about boas.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    IM still waiting to come across a Boa or Burm up here in Michigan when im out in the marsh's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Zeion, snakes are not like mammals. They don't learn how to hunt. They don't forget how to hunt, simply because they've been in captivity. While a snake, released into the wild from captivity, would probably take a while to figure out where the best hiding, sunning, and hunting places were, it would inevitably do just fine. Anyone who's lost a snake in their home can testify to how these animals fare in a strange environment...well enough that we can't locate them, lol.

The hatchlings from the warehouse were wild caught, imported baby burms. Even if they had been captive bred...they were hatchlings. Perfectly equipped to survive in the wild on their own, and perfectly unadapted to captivity as of yet. They were the perfect way to introduce a new species to the environment there.
    This is where the vast bulk of the Burm population in Florida came from.

However...it may not necessarily be where the boa, Afrock, retic, etc populations came from. There HAVE been released or escaped pets. Just a lot fewer of them, which is why all the screaming is about Burms, and not about boas.
    Now yes, there are some that are released pets, my point to that little rant is people want to say they're all pets. It's impossible. It takes what.. 2 to 3 to get to 15 feet? Depending on how much you feed maybe more or less..

My point stands, Pets who have adapted to captivty stand a FAR less of a chance to survive in the wild. You're right, some can. I will not deny that, but what gets at me is when people say it's all the keepers fault. It's not. :\
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567