Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

1 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

Dumping the water dish? Three times in one day!

Kallista's never acted like this before!!

Well, the first time, last night, I saw her ontop of both of her hides, not touching the ground.
    Opened the tub and it smelled, lifted a hide, she had pooped. No biggy, and I saw she had dumped her water dish too, but that was just because she was trying to get away from her mess, I assume.
    Anyway, I clean up her mess, refill her water dish, and let her go back in her hide.

Sometime again yesterday, I came in to find her roaming again and her water dish was dumped. Alright then, so I refill it once more. Wake up and find it dumped again.

It IS a plastic bowl, but still, she's never acted like this before...
    Though I do think I might know why she's doing this- it's feeding day today and her last meal wasn't as big as her meals normally are(another problem with feeding FT around here, I have to buy them from petco and the smalls come in 40 grams +/-. I weighed Kallista while she was on empty last night and she was 486 grams. So she could handle one about 50 grams.
    But anyway, think she was roaming and dumped her food because she was hungry? (I'm gonna go get a rat out to thaw now...)
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

Thanks

Re: Dumping the water dish? Three times in one day!

As long as she eats regularly I wouldn't worry about that being the reason, even after a smaller than normal meal....BUT, I definitely would look into getting a water dish she can't tip over so easily.

Thanks
    Yeah, I feed her 1X a week, every Monday.

Alright, I'll see if I can find one.
    It doesn't need to be one she needs to soak in right? I have a small glass dish I could use for her...
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)

0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Dumping the water dish? Three times in one day!

No, she doesn't need to be able to soak in it. Just enough to provide drinking water and heavy enough to not tip over.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I think you're trying to think more into this than you need to. The bowl is being tipped because the snake is heavy enough to tip the light plastic bowl. It could be happening when the snake goes to take a drink. Bottom line, the only way to "fix" it is to get a heavier bowl.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Mine starting knocking things over recently because she had a growth spurt and had no idea what to do with herself. I love how she avoided her poo! if I don't notice instantly, mine will slide right through it and I have to wash her belly. She's not the brightest.

I do hate shopping at pet stores and paying their prices, but they do have some great spill proof water dishes. Mine would break a toe if I dropped it, it's intense!
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Thanks
    XD I probably am over thinking this.
    I always do.

Yeah, she completely avoids her poo when she goes. XD She's such a girly girl snake.

Okay, well, I put a new dish in there, I'll see what happens with it. ^^
    Herps: