Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

2 members and 2,863 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,544
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks

View Poll Results: How many people have a method on treating mites?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't have a method

2 20.00%
  • I have a method and would like to share it

8 80.00%

Thread: Mites

Thanks

Mites

Hi I know we all have our own little ways on treating mites. I just wanted some different method than buying products at Petco. Can someone tell me there method.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Mites

Quote Originally Posted by perfectpythons View Post
    Hi I know we all have our own little ways on treating mites. I just wanted some different method than buying products at Petco. Can someone tell me there method.
    Thank you
    You can give your BP a bath soak. Just fill a container/bathtub with warm water and stick your snake in there for 30 minutes. Just make sure the water doesn't get too cold. You can do this daily untill you think the mites are gone.

I've heard vegetable/olive oil works well. I've never tried this method, but it's suppose to suffocate the mites when you rub this on the snake itself.

Also change it's substrate to paper towels during treatment. It's easier to spot the mites on white, than on news paper or bark substances.

I personally like using Provent-a-mite. It's a spray that you can only buy online. It works MAGIC. After the first treatment, most if not all mites disappear. It's a product that you just spray the tank/tub with, not the animal itself. You just have to be careful with the instructions. The spray is dangerous to the snake as long as it's still wet and/or have vapor. Its harmless dry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-13-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Soak the snakes, clean cages and everything around, use provent a mite. You do not spray provent a mite on the tub itself or the snake, you spray it on the substrate and make sure you let it air out for a long period of time. The fumes are toxic.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

decensored (01-14-2012),perfectpythons (01-13-2012)

Thanks
    Clean tubs spray PAM let tubs air out I had mites about 2 months ago did this once and haven't seen them since PAM is amazing!!!!!!!
    Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/flyfishben?feature=mhee

My Collection:
    0.1 2009 pastel
    1.0 2010 spider
    0.1 2010 pinstripe
    0.1 2011 pastel
    1.0 2011 mojave
    0.1 2011 cinnamon
    0.0.1 2009 normal corn snake
    0.1 100% het anery 66% het snow boa

7. The Following User Says Thank You to benwallage9 For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Domepiece View Post
    Soak the snakes, clean cages and everything around, use provent a mite. You do not spray provent a mite on the tub itself or the snake, you spray it on the substrate and make sure you let it air out for a long period of time. The fumes are toxic.
    +1
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-14-2012)

Thanks
    ditto on the olive oil on the snake and pam. Clean out the tub thoroughly, bleach the snot out of it, rinse extremely well and expose to air to dry out the tub, THEN put clean substrate in, etc. ... I have used "no pest strips" on top of the tank (away from direct access by the snake) and they do pretty well as well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to psychoduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have the elbow grease method and it works too with no carcinogens...

Soak the snake in warm water with a few drops of soap in it. 20+

Clean the enclosure meticulously using HOT water, steam, and or bleach. I personally use a pressure steamer with iodine soap. The area surrounding the enclosure needs also to be spotless and absolutely clean (3 m+). Use minimum cage furnishings disposable hides (margarine or similar containers) and paper substrate (white craft paper is my first choice) I usually will either retire a non tub enclosure at this point I seal in in a garbage bag with a couple of moth balls just to be sure and remove it from the area. Tubs are best for this method. Paper substrate white shows mites best. The whole clean tub is placed in a larger tray tub container and I use small feet to hold the enclosure tub off the floor of the surrounding tub. I use Diatomaceous earth filling the floor of the surrounding tub this way no mites may leave the effected snake's tub. Daily bathing of the snake as before, with treating the enclosure tub with hot water (I just fill it with boiled water) and some soap. let it soak until cool. Everyday for 3 weeks. That is it droned all the adults and cook the eggs. I also keep the humidity of the enclosure quite low below 30% mites have a hard time surviving at or below this RH the snake will not dehydrate with daily soaking. Sheds well, mites are a bigger issue than bad shed. I toss all the hides and dishes into trash bags with moth balls seal them and take them directly outside.

In my case this always has been from a rescued snakes it makes it easier. The enclosure it arrives with stays outside and never comes in for a month or more I clean it outside if it is warm if it is too cold I'll clean it when I bring it in. (often they go straight to the trash as they are often not worth the effort to clean) The snake goes straight into the soak and new tub is set up in the DE tray no mites so the only mites there are are if any live ones survive on the snake They will not lay on the snake but in a moist dark warm corner, daily cleaning and dry conditions cause the eggs to die the adults don't live very long so that is that.

don't get soap in the snakes eyes nostrils or labial pits and I soak in warm water with soap (not detergent and not lots of soap a few drops no more oil also should do the same) i will dump that water and replace it with fresh clear water to get any soap residue off the snake before returning it to the tub.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    PAM-a-lam-a-ding-dong. Use as directed and I soak the snake in a betadine/water solution to help with bite irritation.
    ~Jessica~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jsmorphs2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domepiece View Post

17. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post: