Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,005

2 members and 2,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I breed in my apartment with no problems at all. I have 5 females, 2 males, and a few misc ones just for fun.

I have an air purifier, and it works magic! Keeps the smell and rat dander down. Also provides air flow. So I highly recommend a purifier.

You can also litter train your rats. They're smart animals who are very capable of learning. Litter training keeps messes to a minimum. And dumping a litter box beats dumping a cage or tub.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Kinra (01-12-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Is it possible to breed rats in an apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by jfmoore View Post
    That's why God invented freezers.
    Hahahahaha! Shhh! That would refute my argument as to why I NEED to buy a blood python, to feed the "too large" of rats and retired breeders to, lol!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I tried to breed rats in my apartment. That ended after about a month. The smell was terrible. I completely changed the bedding out every 3 days and it still stunk. Can it be done? Yes. Is it pleasant? No
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Kinra (01-13-2012),zeion97 (01-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I tried to breed rats in my apartment. That ended after about a month. The smell was terrible. I completely changed the bedding out every 3 days and it still stunk. Can it be done? Yes. Is it pleasant? No
    I'm lucky, i'm in a small room and use 56 Quart tubs. The smell isn't bad besides one rat who ALWAYS knocks over the water bowl Tisk tisk tisk

Can it be done, as stated yes! of course! Should you? now that we can not answer.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

Kinra (01-13-2012),The Serpent Merchant (01-13-2012)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I do breed rats in my apartment. I have my office set up in our master bedroom apartment, and that is where I keep my rats and snakes. They're probably not allowed, so I try to keep them a secret by keeping the cages in my closets. I just shut the doors whenever maintenance comes over.

I buy native earth lab blocks from nationalpetpharmacy.com. I add two bags of sunseed pine bedding to bring my order up to $49, which qualifies me for free shipping when I use autoship. You can set your autoship orders very far apart, so it's a great way to save money for most people.

I have a hoover brand air purifier in my room, on account of my horrible allergies, and the rat smell. It helps a lot with both, and I highly recommend air purifiers to anyone who breeds rodents.

I clean my cages every 5 days. I have homemade cages made of sterilite bins, so they are extremely easy to clean. I just dump the contents into a trash bag, wipe the entire thing down with clorox wipes, and put new bedding in.

I have food hoppers built into my cages, which helps tremendously with saving costs on food. The rats can no longer bury it, which means that I no longer have wasted food when I clean cages.

For euthanasia, I bought a C02 canister and regulator from amazon. You can get them filled at a local sports store (academy sports for me). I put the rats in a 10 gallon glass tank, put a towel over the top, slip the hose under the towel, and that's my gas chamber right there.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

Kinra (01-13-2012),zeion97 (01-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I just think you need to be realistic. Sure it can be done but the cost savings and sacrifice probably are a wash or close to it. I wouldn't even attempt to feed my large collection by breeding if I didn't have a house and a garage. Many people here are feeding a few snakes and that makes sense to me. You have a large diverse collection that is going to require a lot of rats, time, and money. I change mine weekly in the garage and I couldn't imagine what that would smell like in an apartment regardless of air purifiers, wall wart smelly things, and etc. The one thing that no one has really touched on is the time it takes to clean, feed, and water a breeding colony of rodents. You're apartment is going to smell like a rat factory unless you're OCD about changing every 3-4 days. I'd seriously take some of these things into account before you jump into this. I recall a thread you posted awhile back about your time being minimum and collection size etc. I would really suggest that you consider if you want that time to decrease. Rodent breeding might be cost saving but it is also time costing.

I'd personally probably recommend finding a rodent breeder locally. I supplement the large amounts I breed with a rodent breeder. This has saved me lots of space, time, and insanity It's time consuming, stinky, and costly to raise rats up. That's why I mostly feed pups and weans to almost my entire collection. The big girls get smalls and sometimes mediums from the local breeder. It's worth $2 to save the time, hassle, stink, and cost of raising rats beyond weanling/small size.

Just some food for thought and playing some devils advocate before you think it is an easy road. As always I wish you the best luck on it whichever way you decide to go!

Regards,

B

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-13-2012),zeion97 (01-13-2012)

Thanks
    I use to live in a one bedroom apt and bred rats. I also kept some for pets. I cleaned everyone once or twice a week. My apt didn't smell, in fact I had people tell me that they wouldn't know I had any animals (by the smell) if they didn't see them. And I kept the rats in the living room, by the door. Can they smell? Sure. But it depends on how many you have and how often you clean them. Also what you feed them. I find they smell less eating rodent blocks then dog food.

Thanks
    My rodent breeder uses corncob bedding for his rats. He swears by it, as it pretty much banishes all urine/feces smell.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We got the DIY air purifier today. WOW the difference!!!!

We have 6 bins running a 1.4 in most and all with pups. AKA Lots of rats in each bin (Thinning the herds tomorrow). They are literally in my living room and the smell is not noticeable.

Love this contraption!

I am excited to see if it helps with my allergy/cold I have had for the past month.

Angela

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPNoobie View Post
    My rodent breeder uses corncob bedding for his rats. He swears by it, as it pretty much banishes all urine/feces smell.
    I really love corncob bedding. It prevents RI as well as the odor.
    But sadly, it's pretty expensive compared to other beddings. D:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12