Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

1 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Venting About Petco...

So I stopped by Petco today to see what that dollar a gallon sale was all about. While I was there I wanted to take a look at the ball pythons they had. So I first asked one girl to help me out... she didn't even know how to get into the tank, so she went to go grab a manager for me. Keep in mind I say manager.

The manager walks up and immediately asks me, "Do you want to take one home." To which I of course respond, "Well I cannot tell you that without actually seeing them, so could you please pick up the half log so I can look at the snakes." She gets up grudgingly on the step stool and pulls the log up to reveal three babies. I asked her to please pull them apart so I could see them all.

She pulls one away and leaves the other two on top of one another, then steps down off the step stool and steps back. I look at her and ask once more, "Could you pull those other two apart so I can see them." She looks me dead in the eye and I kid you not says, "You can do it." I looked at her in shock, then asked her, "Are you really that terrified of them?" So she replies, "I do not like getting bit and now they are all riled up." So I roll my eyes, get up on the step ladder, reach in there and pull them all apart so I can see them.

No bites... no strikes... not even a tense baby among them. I took a look at what was there and then said thank you and promptly left. Why does it still surprise me at this point that such ignorant and inexperienced people work at these places? As a manager you should be able to handle all the animals. God help her if I would have fallen off the step stool or gotten bit and then sued her stupid company. >:|
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Venting About Petco...

I'm confused. Were you really looking for ball or just looking for something to get riled up about? It's Petco - they are almost always that way. Sounds like they actually had a hide which is better than most. Who cares if some kid manager who makes $8 bucks an hour isn't comfortable with them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crawly's Mom View Post
    So I stopped by Petco today to see what that dollar a gallon sale was all about. While I was there I wanted to take a look at the ball pythons they had. So I first asked one girl to help me out... she didn't even know how to get into the tank, so she went to go grab a manager for me. Keep in mind I say manager.

The manager walks up and immediately asks me, "Do you want to take one home." To which I of course respond, "Well I cannot tell you that without actually seeing them, so could you please pick up the half log so I can look at the snakes." She gets up grudgingly on the step stool and pulls the log up to reveal three babies. I asked her to please pull them apart so I could see them all.

She pulls one away and leaves the other two on top of one another, then steps down off the step stool and steps back. I look at her and ask once more, "Could you pull those other two apart so I can see them." She looks me dead in the eye and I kid you not says, "You can do it." I looked at her in shock, then asked her, "Are you really that terrified of them?" So she replies, "I do not like getting bit and now they are all riled up." So I roll my eyes, get up on the step ladder, reach in there and pull them all apart so I can see them.

No bites... no strikes... not even a tense baby among them. I took a look at what was there and then said thank you and promptly left. Why does it still surprise me at this point that such ignorant and inexperienced people work at these places? As a manager you should be able to handle all the animals. God help her if I would have fallen off the step stool or gotten bit and then sued her stupid company. >:|
    It's sad.. these stores fail because of bad work staff, kudo's for not blaming the entire company though. that gets REALLY annoying.

Personally, i think I'm lucky, our Petsmart has a BP breeder now who only puts two-three to a tank and gives them a hide per snake. I know it's bad, but it's better then most stores that sell reptiles..

You should report the manager to the company and say she endangered your life. :p
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

Crawly's Mom (01-11-2012)

Thanks

The Petcos/Petsmarts by me are the same way, they have the worst experienced staff. I ask them question just for fun to hear their bs. This is why i stick with trusted breeders and local trusted family owned reptile shops.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drama x For This Useful Post:

Crawly's Mom (01-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by womsterr View Post
    I'm confused. Were you really looking for ball or just looking for something to get riled up about? It's Petco - they are almost always that way. Sounds like they actually had a hide which is better than most. Who cares if some kid manager who makes $8 bucks an hour isn't comfortable with them?
    The issue is this is not a kid. It was an adult woman and she was the manager. As a manager at a store that carries multiple types of snakes you should at least be comfortable enough to handle them for general care. If you cannot even manage moving one then frankly you should not be in charge of a store that carries animals. Additionally she told me to get up on a ladder and move them myself. I have worked retail myself and can tell you that had something happened and I fell off the ladder or one of the snakes had bit me, they would be liable for that. Again that is something she should keep in mind as a manager.

I realize this is a major chain store and a lot of what they do is not right, however, that does not change the fact that they should AT LEAST know the basics... especially something as basic as moving an animal.
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

Thanks

The issue is this is not a kid. It was an adult woman and she was the manager. As a manager at a store that carries multiple types of snakes you should at least be comfortable enough to handle them for general care. If you cannot even manage moving one then frankly you should not be in charge of a store that carries animals. Additionally she told me to get up on a ladder and move them myself. I have worked retail myself and can tell you that had something happened and I fell off the ladder or one of the snakes had bit me, they would be liable for that. Again that is something she should keep in mind as a manager.

I realize this is a major chain store and a lot of what they do is not right, however, that does not change the fact that they should AT LEAST know the basics... especially something as basic as moving an animal.
    Very well said. Iv even asked their employies questions before and they didnt know the answer and i would tell them to their face "Then why are you working here?"

Their facial expression is priceless.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks
    Yea, I had a similar experience at my local petco. I had asked to handle each normal and the worker just gave me the first one she could reach. There was one normal in a corner that was striking out at her. I asked to see that one and she said "I'll let you do that and you can use the ladder". I ended up buying a normal just to get some snake keeping experience.
    I went another time to the same petco. Waited and waited and actually both times I had to ask someone for help. I was standing around for 10-15 min's , store was practically empty. A girl walk's up and when I told her I would like to look at the normal's? She had to get someone else. The guy walk's up set's the ladder up and open's the cage. I had go up the ladder pick out a few snakes hand some to the guy. And, the guy tried to choose a normal for me. He knew alittle info on them I'll give him that. I asked him "how do tell which is a boy and which is a girl?" He said "it depend's on how skinny the tail is. If, it goes from the thickness of the body then suddenly get's small and skinny (tail) then it's most likely a girl"
    I'm not totally complaining about petco. But, IMO alot of people will go to petco or petsmart for the first snake. The experience should be pleasant and educational. And, the employees should not try and sell misc stuff to the customer if it's really not neccessary.
    Last edited by Gbusiness; 01-11-2012 at 01:13 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gbusiness For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Wow i agree you should at least be able to stand moving the snakes, out where i live the petco staff is horrible as well. I got my BP Jay at Petsmart,one of the worker guys new a lot about Ball Pythons and even gave me some advice and told a story about his own BP. He was also able to tell me that the snakes they had are all CBB from a local breeder and the inclosure Jay was in was well maintained.
    New to the wonderful world of Ball Pythons.

0.1 Normal Ball Python 4 1/2 years old (Jay Rosa )
    1.0 Spinner 100% Het. Axanthic 1 year (Derek)
    Co-owned

1.0 Veil tail Beta
    1.0 platty
    0.1 sucky fish
    2.0 Glow Danios

1.0 11 year old orange Tabby named Orange Crush

Jan. 8th 2012 will forever be known as the day i got my first reptile

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

As a manager at a store that carries multiple types of snakes you should at least be comfortable enough to handle them for general care.
    In a perfect world.

Unfortunatley some people just don't care (employees at any store, that is). I run into it all the time at a whole bunch of different stores: workers who can't give me the time of day to help me to get xyz off the shelf, who don't care to give good, personable customer service, some who are just down right rude for no reason. It happens.

We unfortunatley can't expect every worker at every petstore to have a passion for the reptiles like we do, but yes I do agree that workers at petstores should be able to offer help to someone who actually need assistance with something.

Were you actually looking to buy a snake when you were there?
    Last edited by Daybreaker; 01-11-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typo
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

i went to the petco by my house and the girl working there was a girl i went to highschool with. Now that would not have been a problem if this individual was not famous for killing the dolphin "chuckles" at the pgh zoo during her grad project. did not do much to help with my level of confidence in the stores knowledge about anything.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast