Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,427

2 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Little question.

This is a quick question, I have two females. And I KNOW i can't keep them together, the older one who has a 5 week old litter tried to kill the younger one. BUT, can the dad be kept with the new female, even when she has the babies? and females held together, you know if they're around the same age and such. I'd love to have some more info, so please add some to my data banks! lol.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Why keep them together at all? It's just a risk that's not necessary. Most snakes live alone. My husband keeps wanting all our snakes to live together, to save energy, but hey if you want the snakes you have to be willing to accommodate the best environment for them. Ball pythons don't live together in the wild, and they can go off food, compete for hides, or hurt each other if housed together in captivity.
    14 snakes, 12 bugs, 1 skink, 1 frog, 2 dogs, and tons of fresh and saltwater fish. I've also begun snake rescue. What a ride!

Thanks

Re: Little question.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy King View Post
    Why keep them together at all? It's just a risk that's not necessary. Most snakes live alone. My husband keeps wanting all our snakes to live together, to save energy, but hey if you want the snakes you have to be willing to accommodate the best environment for them. Ball pythons don't live together in the wild, and they can go off food, compete for hides, or hurt each other if housed together in captivity.
    No offense... Did you even READ? -_-; I'm not trying to sound mean but wow.. I asked in the BREEDING MICE thread..
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (01-11-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    the best way to breed mice is to colony breed... That being said, if you have a female that already has a litter, let her wean out the babies before you add her to your colony. Or, keep all the female babies in with her, drop in a male in 3-4 weeks, and instant colony...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jasbus For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus View Post
    the best way to breed mice is to colony breed... That being said, if you have a female that already has a litter, let her wean out the babies before you add her to your colony. Or, keep all the female babies in with her, drop in a male in 3-4 weeks, and instant colony...

Ah, I heard males are more likely to eat there babies with Mice. So, I want to house my females all together, (excluding the "dominate" ones which should be culled) then add the male to get them pregnant for a few days taken him out and then let them all have there babies. With mice is a break better or not? I was thinking of giving them a week break after weaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Ah, I heard males are more likely to eat there babies with Mice. So, I want to house my females all together, (excluding the "dominate" ones which should be culled) then add the male to get them pregnant for a few days taken him out and then let them all have there babies. With mice is a break better or not? I was thinking of giving them a week break after weaning.
    I don't think you should cull the dominant female until its confirmed she's dangerous to other mice. The old female is probably only attacking the younger female because she's thinking its a strange mouse that could harm her babies. I'm sure she'll be friendly with her once the litter is weaned. I have a female who is ONLY aggressive when she has pups. She's even nippy with girls who she snuggles with when pups aren't present.

You can give your mice a break from breeding. But its not necessary.

And you can keep the male with the colony. My friend has females that have killed another mama's litter. So killings can go either gender...

Good luck

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 01-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (01-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    I don't think you should cull the dominant female until its confirmed she's dangerous to other mice. The old female is probably only attacking the younger female because she's thinking its a strange mouse that could harm her babies. I'm sure she'll be friendly with her once the litter is weaned. I have a female who is ONLY aggressive when she has pups. She's even nippy with girls who she snuggles with when pups aren't present.

You can give your mice a break from breeding. But its not necessary.

And you can keep the male with the colony. My friend has females that have killed another mama's litter. So killings can go either gender...

Good luck

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I need to rephrase what I said. I put another female in with her and she attempted to kill it. She does fine with males, and what I've seen our male does good with babies as well. (he's handled probably every other day so he's pretty tame)

Right now our first female's litter is going on 6 or 7 weeks? Our logs are buried because we're cleaning the entire room.

Thanks though! I'll attempt to build my colony up, and give the little girl a chance. I really hope she pans out, I love her pattern and she had 15 babies last litter!