Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Brazilian Rainbow Boa substrate, what do you use?

Before we took the plunge and got these boas (we're up to 3 now) I was very intimidated by the humidity requirements of these snakes. I had been using Eco-Earth for our BRB's since we got them, to keep the humidity up.

However, it seems the care of them is blown a bit out of proportion, and they're really no more difficult to care for than our Ball Pythons.

I put them in 41quarts about 2 months ago, and they pretty much spent half the time roaming, and both females stopped eating (never missing a meal in their almost 3 years up until this point). So I added in some hides, but that didn't really work either. So decided to switch them back to their previous 32 quarts for now.

I also decided to try using aspen bedding as opposed to the Eco Earth, because I really don't like the stuff.

The first day they were in the aspen, they spent most of the time swimming through the water dish, I even found the male completely submersed.

Do you think this is because they don't like the aspen? Or is it just because I uprooted them once again and changed the size of their bins/substrate? Or is it because it's just Murphy's Law that they will swim, poop, and generally mess things up directly after you change their bins?

They've all gone back to normal now, no swimming, and they've settled into their hides.

Like I said, initially I used Eco-Earth because of the humidity requirements, but I find we haven't had any issues. They always shed perfect in one piece. Really all it takes is a bigger water dish and less holes in the tubs.

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to give you some background on how they're kept. I pretty much just want to know what everyone uses as a substrate, and weather aspen is a suitable choice? Lots of the care sheets out there have extremely conflicting advice.

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

BFT12890 (01-09-2012),MSG-KB (01-09-2012)

Thanks

Re: Brazilian Rainbow Boa substrate, what do you use?

I've used aspen before and my BRB liked it, but it molded really fast. I just kept him on paper. It's mostly just personal preference. Some snakes just don't like aspen either. I have a BP that WILL NOT touch aspen. He thrashes around and everything. It seems like you're doing everything right. I also agree with you. The are super easy to keep. Way easier than a ball python as long as BRBs are kept in tubs, not tanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carlisleishere For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    I have mine in a 41qt tub with 2 layers of paper towels, then I just dampen the paper towels, humidity stays between 70% and 85%

Thanks

I use cypress mulch. I bake it @ 250 for 30 min before I place in the cages My Ball dont care what she has for substrate. My BRB loves the mulch I have to give her a very thick layer as she loves to borrow in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I use cypress mulch.

+1 on care warnings being overblown. Just because you can't throw it in a glass tank w/no heat, no hides, no substrate, and expect it to thrive, doesn't mean it's not easy to care for.

Thanks

This thread makes me really happy to read. as soon as my rack system is complete im getting a BRB. Ive wanted one for a while but have been intimidated by everyone saying they are a pain to keep. glad to hear they really arent that bad!

EDIT. OP glad to hear that they are all settled in for you :] are 41qt's sufficient for life??
    Last edited by BFT12890; 01-09-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    0.1 Normal BP - Lily
    1.0 Ghost Corn - Colonel "Kernal" Patton A.K.A. Cornbread.
    1.0 Hog Island - King Tut

Thanks
    I sure hope so, lol, that's where mine gunna be her whole life

Thanks
    People tend to blow the care requirements of Brazilian Rainbow Boas way out of proportion. As long as you maintain the proper humidity and temperature, they're extremely easy to care for. The humidity can be easily maintained with a large water bowl and a moist hide. For bedding, I keep it simple and use paper towel. Eventually, I'm planning on switching to Indented Kraft Paper. For the moist hide, I use about an inch of Peat Moss from Lowes.

@BFT12890
    A 41 quart tub would be a good size for an adult Brazilian Rainbow Boa for the duration of its life

Here is a Beginner's Guide to Brazilian Rainbow Boas, and a Brazilian Rainbow Boa Care Sheet.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoonlightBoas For This Useful Post:

BFT12890 (01-09-2012),cmack91 (01-10-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We use coco fiber that we mist daily. Keeps the humidity up and is easy to spot to clean. Plus we get it super cheap as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to meeistom For This Useful Post:

decensored (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

When I kept BRBs I just used paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast