Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

1 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

the snake escape!

So yesterday I got home and didn't see my ball python I asummed that he was in his hide like all good little ball pythons so I didn't think much of it. Untile about an hour later when I'm putting putting my sneaker on I see something moving from the corner of my eye in the drawer I open the drawer and find him in there curled up lol. I couldn't believe that they could fit thru such a small crack with no sighns of a break out. So have any of you lost or witness a snake escap?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I'm glad you found your escapee so quickly.

I've had 4 snake escapes.

1.) My butter got out the night I brought my cat home. I found her a week later under my kitchen sink.

2.) My cinny got out and I found her 10 minutes later at the bottom of the snake rack.

3.) My pastel ph hypo got out and I found him on top of my cinny's tub (so he didn't make it far, they are right next to each other).

4.) My pastel ph hypo got out a second time and I found him at the bottom of the snake rack.

After the last escape I fixed the rack and haven't had an escape since.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Been fortunate enough to not have had any escape. With the design of my rack it would be hard for any of them to get out without some sort of error on my end.

Thanks
    Mine's not really a snake escape, but my leo Rainne is a real trouble maker. On the way home from the show we got her at, I took the lid off her cup to get a better look at her she jumped out and ran under the car seat. It took an hour to get her out.

Then, a month later, I took her out of her cage for some exercise and put her on a book case. It turns out the book case had a hole on the back and when I turned away for 5 second she had crawed through it into the fireplace behind it. We (me,my dad, and my sister) smashed that fireplace out of the wall, and half way through, she wandered out and gave us a "why did you wake me up" look. Good thing it was an ugly fireplace.

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've never had a bp escape *knock on wood* but my Okeetee cornsnake has gotten out twice, once I found her a few hours later behind the litterbox (which is right next to the rack) and the 2nd time I found her a few hours later in the closet across the room.

My Opal corn has gotten out once and I found him a couple hours later in the same closet as above.

My Mexican Black Kingsnake has gotten out once when she was really tiny. She was missing for almost a month and I was losing my mind. One of my cats was staring at my husband's nightstand (2 rooms away) and she was behind it. Her tail is a little "chewed" looking but she's been shedding just fine and it's improving with each shed.

And finally my Ghost corn has gotten out once. He was gone for a week or so . I found him across the room under one of my tanks. I have it raised up about a 1/2in so the UTHs under it have a little airflow. He was poking his head out from under there on feeding day (he's a little piggie) so I snatched him up!

I pray to the snake gods that I don't have anymore escapees. My nerves just cannot handle it! I worry and worry when they're gone and jump and run to check at every little sound!

Thanks
    I've had SO many escapes over the years.

My first Eastern Milksnake got out 6 times. The final time I never found him again
    My first Garter Snake got out twice, I then released it back into the wild. (It had its tail run over my dad, so I made sure it would heal and survive. It still lives in my neighbors flower garden, lacking a tail)
    My first BP, Ryn is an escape artist. Gotten out more times than I can count - the two memorable ones are that I forgot to put the clamps on her tank lid down, and she squeezed out. I came home to find her on top of her tank, looking quite unhappy. Second time she (I really didn't think she could do this) got out of her 55g tank. She's little. I don't even know how. NOW Shes back in a 20g, with a TIESTRAP tiedown to keep her in. She isn't going ANYWHERE.

My favorite escape was..well, 2 days ago. I had Icky and Sable together to breed, and I must have left their lid off when I checked on them that morning, cause that afternoon I came out, saw the lid off, and only Sable in the tank. Icky was RIGHT behind the shelf, on the electric baseboard heater. It was adorable.

Those are just the ones I can remember. I've had many others, most never finding again because of cats, finding a way out of the trailer or the dog.
    Last edited by Xotik; 01-09-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks

Re: the snake escape!

I had a baby bp escape new yrs. eve. My stupid mistake didn't push my tub back in all the way. Alcohol and snakes don't mix

Found him new yrs day in my pillow case
    Last edited by Bagged1; 01-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    0.1 O.G 1.1 het gen. Stripe
    1.3 normal 1.0 jigsaw
    1.0 cinny. 0.1 pinstripe
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 spider
    1.0 het pied
    1.1 het albino
    0.1 sulcata
    2.5+leos

Thanks
    HAHA! I Love these stories.

My girl has not escaped yet, but she is not as stupid as she looks. She has learned that the front glass of her viv SLIDES, and I have witnessed her pressing her whole body against it in the slider and trying to creep along. She will also try and try to squeeze her nose into the slider and wrench it open. None if these tactics are successful, but I find it pretty eerie that she is even trying them, seeing as science tells us snakes don't have the ability to problem solve. False.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Thanks

I've had a normal ball python escape my rack. its been about a month I think he's in the wall. He has a nice live rodent living in a tank with a warm spot and a hide close to were I think he got into the wall so hopefully I will find him full and curled up in there soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I've had a normal ball python escape my rack. its been about a month I think he's in the wall. He has a nice live rodent living in a tank with a warm spot and a hide close to were I think he got into the wall so hopefully I will find him full and curled up in there soon.
    Oh NO! Keep looking for him! Sorry to hear about that

Hahaha, So true... alcohol doesn't mix very well with snakes!
    1.0 Bumble Bee

0.1 Pastel

1.0 Normal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hurricaNe For This Useful Post:

Tbone (01-25-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast