Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

0 members and 3,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Vivarium Electronics thermostat aesthetics

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    You mean like the Herpstat pro and Herpstat 4?
    Yup, with the Herpstat Pro and Herpstat ND you can pay (and I have paid) a few extra dollars to get a blue LCD instead of the standard green one. I'd love to see this option with the VE's.

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    I've never used Vivarium Electronics, but I paid a little more to have the blue LCD on each of my Herpstats. I'd do the same if I decided to switch brands (and will probably be replacing my two Helix thermostats at some point down the road). quality and dependability are paramount, but not always exclusive, in my considerations.
    Exactly, little stuff like LCD color definitely shouldn't be as much as a priority as the quality and dependability, but it certainly is a consideration. If you are putting so much money into a quality thermostat I personally think you should be able to throw in a few dollars more to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Honestly I think that the VE thermostats look terrible. But then again I am hard to please. I think that the Herpstats look the best, especially the Herpstat 4 but as others have said a dependable thermostat is more important than a good looking one.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    We love the blue lcd and 99% of our customers choose the blue over the green lcds at this point. We have new Herpstat models coming soon and have already released pics:

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/home/developement.html

And here is a link to a page I just created last night with comparisons:

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/home/p...omparison.html

No exact release dates yet but its going to happen sometime in February.

Dion Brewington
    Owner, Spyder Robotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrobotics View Post
    We love the blue lcd and 99% of our customers choose the blue over the green lcds at this point. We have new Herpstat models coming soon and have already released pics:

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/home/developement.html

And here is a link to a page I just created last night with comparisons:

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/home/p...omparison.html

No exact release dates yet but its going to happen sometime in February.

Dion Brewington
    Owner, Spyder Robotics
    Dion,

how do you expect these to compare price wise with your current models?
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles

Thanks

Dylan,

If you take a look at the second link with all the comparisons it shows the MSRP at the top.

George

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreese88 View Post
    Dion,

how do you expect these to compare price wise with your current models?
    We are adding alot of value with these new models.

The Herpstat Intro is great for embedding into a custom incubator for that clean look since it has the flanged sides. It can just as easily set on the top of a cage or incubator. Its meant to get people a quality proportional thermostat without breaking the bank.

The Herpstat 1 Basic adds a few more options over the Intro like higher wattage and grounded outlets so that it can be used with rack systems. It gives up the safety relay and real time clock to keep costs down. It does have a software based clock so one can still get the benefits of the night drop and ramping features.

With the Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 lines we have bigger lcds, grounded outlets as standard. Alot of the new tech from the Herpstat 4 has been implemented such as the exceptional new heat algorithm that the Herpstat 4 brought to the table. We have also added a pulse proportional control. So you can use the extremely fine control of our normal dimming style or if you have a metal rack that exhibits electrical hum you can switch the option to pulse proportional and in our testing it eliminates the hum. Only thing is our pulse proportional control feature has varied time lengths so its still what I consider "proportional". Other "pulse proportional" controls I've seen are either full on, full off, or on half the time and off half the time. I'll be honest. I don't consider that proportional. With ours the on/off time period is adjusted in single percent amounts from 0-100% which provides great results. Just another reason why the Herpstats lead the way in thermostat tech.

We have also focused on safety with these. Now audible alerts are standard on all models. Our Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 models come standard with the mechanical relay that can cut power if there is a solid state failure. High and low alarms are still in there. There is a timeout that can be set so that power can be turned off if the temperature doesn't make it to the low alarm setting within a certain amount of time. Also the Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 work with our optional humidity sensor becoming the first single and dual output proportional thermostats with humidity capability. These new Herpstat models will really take things to the next level.

Dion Brewington
    Owner, Spyder Robotics

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

We are adding alot of value with these new models.

The Herpstat Intro is great for embedding into a custom incubator for that clean look since it has the flanged sides. It can just as easily set on the top of a cage or incubator. Its meant to get people a quality proportional thermostat without breaking the bank.

The Herpstat 1 Basic adds a few more options over the Intro like higher wattage and grounded outlets so that it can be used with rack systems. It gives up the safety relay and real time clock to keep costs down. It does have a software based clock so one can still get the benefits of the night drop and ramping features.

With the Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 lines we have bigger lcds, grounded outlets as standard. Alot of the new tech from the Herpstat 4 has been implemented such as the exceptional new heat algorithm that the Herpstat 4 brought to the table. We have also added a pulse proportional control. So you can use the extremely fine control of our normal dimming style or if you have a metal rack that exhibits electrical hum you can switch the option to pulse proportional and in our testing it eliminates the hum. Only thing is our pulse proportional control feature has varied time lengths so its still what I consider "proportional". Other "pulse proportional" controls I've seen are either full on, full off, or on half the time and off half the time. I'll be honest. I don't consider that proportional. With ours the on/off time period is adjusted in single percent amounts from 0-100% which provides great results. Just another reason why the Herpstats lead the way in thermostat tech.

We have also focused on safety with these. Now audible alerts are standard on all models. Our Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 models come standard with the mechanical relay that can cut power if there is a solid state failure. High and low alarms are still in there. There is a timeout that can be set so that power can be turned off if the temperature doesn't make it to the low alarm setting within a certain amount of time. Also the Herpstat 1 and Herpstat 2 work with our optional humidity sensor becoming the first single and dual output proportional thermostats with humidity capability. These new Herpstat models will really take things to the next level.

Dion Brewington
    Owner, Spyder Robotics
    Very interesting. When these new models become available will the currently line (Herpstat, Herpstat ND, Herpstat Pro) be completely discontinued?
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chandler View Post
    Very interesting. When these new models become available will the currently line (Herpstat, Herpstat ND, Herpstat Pro) be completely discontinued?
    Yes. If we still have stock of components for the current models then we will most likely discount them at some point. Its interesting to look back at the Herpstat, Herpstat ND, Herpstat II, and Pro and you can see every advancement and all the reptile communities suggestions that made it into those models making each release a better product. We have always been greatful for the community support on these devices and personally it will be tough to see them go. On the other side these new models are just the next chapter along with the Herpstat 4 and its exciting to see all the new features and control options that wouldn't have been possible when I first designed the original Herpstat.

Again, I personally thank everyone for their support and look forward to providing quality thermostats for the years to come.

-Dion

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spyderrobotics For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (01-20-2012),The Serpent Merchant (01-19-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Yes. If we still have stock of components for the current models then we will most likely discount them at some point. Its interesting to look back at the Herpstat, Herpstat ND, Herpstat II, and Pro and you can see every advancement and all the reptile communities suggestions that made it into those models making each release a better product. We have always been greatful for the community support on these devices and personally it will be tough to see them go. On the other side these new models are just the next chapter along with the Herpstat 4 and its exciting to see all the new features and control options that wouldn't have been possible when I first designed the original Herpstat.

Again, I personally thank everyone for their support and look forward to providing quality thermostats for the years to come.

-Dion
    I recently bought a Herpstat 4 and I have got to say it is a great product. I recommend it every time anyone asks about thermostats.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I think I could be convinced to pay a little more for custom colors. It would probably depend on my mood and bank account at the time of ordering.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast